Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framus Dragon....

Your thoughts on this amp?

I have a chance to get one in a trade, but am wary of how heavy it is as far as doing metal. I'm seeking fairly brutal modern.

I know the Cobra is more my speed, but it's unfortunately not what is available

Uli was using Cobra..with a Marshall and TS-9 turbo.

Defintely heavier than your CAE+3..kinda sounds like the Uber here!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2rCrz9hID8

There's a bunch of Framus samples on youtube..all doin' "ATG" riffs. Sounds like my kid playing on every sample!!!
    Last edited by horns666; 10-26-2008, 01:26 PM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Uli was using a Dragon... The Cobra is the hotrodded version I see.

I've been through You tube amd rocksolid listening to every sample already haha... Seems the Cobra is what I would want. But a Dragon is being offered.

I really just want the ENGL E-570...

Always somethin....

Comment

Uli was using a Cobra..that metal grill is a dead give away. Anywho, it seems the Dragon has just as much or more gain than the Cobra. From from the impression I got from youtube.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Dunno, his switcher said Dragon. Face plate was Chrome, but faceplates interchange, like the ones onm the Uber, seen some grillcloth covered and metal ones for that as well.

The Cobra is the higher gain unit from all the reviews I've seen. And the Cobra soundbites I've heard are all heavier and more brutal.

The Cobra was developed after the dragon, and was meant to be the "modded" heavy version.

Comment

I had the Cobra, it wasn't anything near as metal as a 5150. I bought it because my dream tone is the KsE End Of Heartache sound, which was achieved with the Cobra, 5150 and some other stuff. The 5150 was (is) the closest.

Still better than a Dual Rec (IMO), but mine didn't sound anything like the clips I've heard on various tone sites. It had a Dual Rec fizz about it.

Anyway, I bypassed trying the Dragon because the Cobra is supposed to be a souped up version of it... I'll find that tone in my head (and, conveniently, it's the same tone KsE has), but until then, 5150.

Comment

Hey Sean,

Interesting input there... Something keeps telling me to get a 5150 and have Mark do a few tweaks. Hehe...

Long drive to check it out and I'm pretty unsure about trading my CAE for this Dragon, not sure it will be heavy enough. Bad enough the CAE needs so much massaging.

Comment

I heard a Dragon live from this band called Fatal Smile. It seemed more hard rock-ish, but it still sounded killer. Not brutal metal, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                  Dunno, his switcher said Dragon. Face plate was Chrome, but faceplates interchange, like the ones onm the Uber, seen some grillcloth covered and metal ones for that as well.

The Cobra is the higher gain unit from all the reviews I've seen. And the Cobra soundbites I've heard are all heavier and more brutal.

The Cobra was developed after the dragon, and was meant to be the "modded" heavy version.
                  Not to de-rail you original question, but as far as the Uber goes from what I understand its not a simple faceplate change. I've read that the metal grill one and the tweed/grill cloth style actually take different head shells although the amp is identical inside. IOW, you can't just interchange the face plates alone, you'd have to change head shells as well.
                  I have no clue if the Framus stuff is the same way.
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

dont do it. Hold out for what you really want or you'll always be jonesing. I never settle.

BTW, to the last poster. The head shells are the same. I had a wicker XTC and bought a metal grill from Bogner. Changed them out myslef. You just need to paint the edges that are exposed and drill new holes. When I siold the xtc I put the wicker back. Then I bought an Uber - was the cloth grill - and did the same thing to put the metal grill on the Uber.

Comment

Originally posted by thenine View Post
                      dont do it. Hold out for what you really want or you'll always be jonesing. I never settle.

BTW, to the last poster. The head shells are the same. I had a wicker XTC and bought a metal grill from Bogner. Changed them out myslef. You just need to paint the edges that are exposed and drill new holes. When I siold the xtc I put the wicker back. Then I bought an Uber - was the cloth grill - and did the same thing to put the metal grill on the Uber.
                      Thanks, thats good info to know
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

does it come with the cock-dragon paintjob?
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

No, I have to have that done custom, hahaha...

Comment

the Cobra needs greenbacks to sound right. thats whats in its matching cab and without it, it will sound like its missing something. but with it, it kicks major ass.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
                              I had the Cobra, it wasn't anything near as metal as a 5150. I bought it because my dream tone is the KsE End Of Heartache sound, which was achieved with the Cobra, 5150 and some other stuff. The 5150 was (is) the closest.

Still better than a Dual Rec (IMO), but mine didn't sound anything like the clips I've heard on various tone sites. It had a Dual Rec fizz about it.

Anyway, I bypassed trying the Dragon because the Cobra is supposed to be a souped up version of it... I'll find that tone in my head (and, conveniently, it's the same tone KsE has), but until then, 5150.
                              The 2nd guitarist (don't know his name...it's the not-goofy one ) in KsE plays a VH4 in the Rose of Sharyn video

Comment

Working...
                              X