any experience with Blackheart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any experience with Blackheart?

I'm in the market for a new practice amp or two and have stumbled across Blackheart. I've seen some mentions in other threads, but does anyone have any in depth info on these? Or maybe recommendations for low watt tube amps?
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

I played one of these, a few weeks back and was quite impressed. throw a distortion pedal of your choice in front and you're good to go, I think. I'd love to get one of them.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

I have the epiphone...sounds good with a pedal up front and is easy to mod. I haven't heard about alot of mods for the BH (but in all fairness haven't looked. If you are handy, get a gilmore jr from guytronix. It has high quality parts (Mercury Mag Trannies and such, available attenuattor, marshall mod, etc) and only 1/2 watt...but it is louder than you would think...Very cool practice amp!
      www.JerryRobison.com
      '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

I've got it as my main amp at church and I love it. You cannot go wrong with it. It's cheap, sturdy, and has a great tone to it. Hard to believe that I have pedals that cost more than the amp they run through, but it's really that good. And I havent' even begun with modding it.

Comment

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
          I have the epiphone...sounds good with a pedal up front and is easy to mod. I haven't heard about alot of mods for the BH (but in all fairness haven't looked. If you are handy, get a gilmore jr from guytronix. It has high quality parts (Mercury Mag Trannies and such, available attenuattor, marshall mod, etc) and only 1/2 watt...but it is louder than you would think...Very cool practice amp!
          So how exactly are amps modded in a nutshell? Swapping resistors etc?

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
          I've got it as my main amp at church and I love it. You cannot go wrong with it. It's cheap, sturdy, and has a great tone to it. Hard to believe that I have pedals that cost more than the amp they run through, but it's really that good. And I havent' even begun with modding it.
          Which model are you using? I've been thinking about the 15 watt, but it seems like the 5 watt would be better to really drive it.
          If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

[quote=followthereaper;1161366]So how exactly are amps modded in a nutshell? Swapping resistors etc?

Caps, transformers, resistors...you name it.

I've been talking to these guys about point to point conversion
            http://turretboards.com/valve_junior_page.htm

Better to build from scratch...not much left of the original by the time your done.

http://www.diycustomamps.com/valvejunior.htm

More mods here...

http://forums.epiphone.com/

And if you have loads of cash

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm
            they also have blackheart trannies
            www.JerryRobison.com
            '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

I have a Valve Jr head and with a Metal Zone pedal it kills. These heads take pedals very well. Sould great. I also put a Chinese 12ax7 in there too.

My brother modded the hell out of his and it sounds awesome. he is working on an attenuator for it now...

Comment

is it just me or are class A amps a little more touch responsive?
                www.JerryRobison.com

Comment

yes they are....that's why i always liked matchless and vox amps.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by followthereaper View Post
                    So how exactly are amps modded in a nutshell? Swapping resistors etc?

Which model are you using? I've been thinking about the 15 watt, but it seems like the 5 watt would be better to really drive it.
                    I got the 5 watt. opens up and gets gainy real nicely. I got mine before the 15 watt came out. It seems a little pricey to me.

Comment

For those interested in the 5 watt blackheart zzounds has it on sale for 129.
                      http://www.zzounds.com/item--BLABH5H

It's tempting me....

Comment

I went down this route many months ago. I live in an apartment, so I had to downsize the stack and rack. Space is critical. I use a POD for those late-night sessions, but when I want tube-driven hotness: well, I've been using a Blackheart Little Giant (5w) w/ both a 1x8 Earcandy cab and a 1x12 (no-name) cab. I run a pedal or two in front of it and it smokes. Great for that real-amp sound.

As far as mods, I know you can do a few things to both the Blackhearts and the Valve Jrs. (both were designed by the same guy.) Either one is good. I dig my Blackheart.

Comment

Working...
                        X