Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is my Jackson wroth?

Hi all,

I have had my Jackson for 17 years, and I have been trying to find out the history of it. I got it on my 16th Birthday and it was already a few years old. It is a USA made soloist, maybe a custom. The plate on the back says it was made in San Dimas, serial number 1770. Still in great condition, only 2 nicks on the head stock. I am not really interested in selling it, but would like to know today's worth for insurance. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks much

Will

First of all, if it's got a neck plate, it's not a soloist. Only neck-thrus are soloist.

You should post some pictures. A picture is worth a thousand words. You don't mention what type of trem, what pickup config, inlays, binding, fretboard material, etc. All of this can be taken care of with a few pictures.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to get a hold of a camera to take some pictures. When I do I will put them up. Some answers to your questions:

Kahler Tremelo
      Mother of Pearl Shark Fin inlays
      Ebony Fret board
      1 humbucker, 2 single coils
      on/off switch for each pick up, 1 volume

Is there a way to use the serial number to track it? On the Jackson website all I can find is serial number groupings. Thanks again for any help.

Comment

Track it?
        Not sure I follow you.
        Those "groupings" tell you when and where it was built. What else do you need to know?

What you describe sounds like it is an early Ontario era Dinky. Based on the serial number, it's not a San Dimas.
        The Kahler is typically a price killer, but plenty of people still love them.

If you want to know the true market value, go search eBay for completed auctions.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          What you describe sounds like it is an early Ontario era Dinky. Based on the serial number, it's not a San Dimas.
          You should also mention to the new guy that when Jackson moved from San Dimas to Ontario, they had left over neck plates that still had San Dimas on them, and that we can tell by the s/n which ones are SD and which are Ontario.

Comment

You should also mention to the new guy that when Jackson moved from San Dimas to Ontario, they had left over neck plates that still had San Dimas on them
            Thanks for the info. That was why I thought it was San Dimas. As to the ability to track it, I didn't know if I could use the serial number like a car vin number, and find out any of the history on this specific guitar. Sounds like a no on that one. Once I get some pictures I will put them up. Most of the Dinky I have seen for sale are newer ones. Any one know of a good site that has listings of 80's area guitars? Thanks again for the help.

Comment

One other thing to try - take the neck off looking for the work order number. I've seen others here somehow find out more info about their guitars with that number. It should be on the neck and maybe the body as well. Look under the pickups, and maybe in the trem cavity.

Comment

Working...
              X