SL2H vs. DK1 body size/weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H vs. DK1 body size/weight

OK, it's a stupid question, but please put me outta my misery. The reason I ask is because I've never played a Soloist, and may end up going for one. My DK1 feels heavier than my WR1, presumably because most of the weight is concentrated in the body. As for finishes, I'm sorely stempted by copper snakeskin.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Hi....I had the same question some time back. I owned a 98 DK1, and wanted to upgrade to a newer DK1 with 24 frets. Long story short, I have a new metallic black SL2H! So I can say that the body sizes are all the same size as far as I can tell. As far as weight....I'm not exactly sure,,,my old DK1 was poplar, and the newer DK1 I tried was alder, and now this soloist is maple neck through alder body wings. I never exactly weighed one, but I guess I'd have to say they are similar. THe soloist is maybe a bit more neck heavy. I will say that this SL2H which I own and love sounds better to me through my SLO than my old DK1.....more full and ballsy. That could be partly poplar vs alder, and of course, the different construction. I'm happy to have moved on to a soloist as the upper fret access is astonishing,,,but that DK1 is one awesome guitar too. So yeah,,,the body sizes are the same If you could, try em both at the same time, and go with your gut.

Comment

a soloist is slightly longer than a DK1 if im not mistaken

Comment

if you ask me....
        99% of neck through guitar > bolt on guitars.
        and yes, i;ve messed around sl2h for quite sometime since my local music store has one and it seems that no one wants to buy it...oh well, good for me(i love it, but i would say that i'm still not good enough for USA models) XD
        Own:
        '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
        w/e catches my eyes ATM
        More '90 Professionals

Comment

Originally posted by KBRR View Post
          a soloist is slightly longer than a DK1 if im not mistaken
          No, the body sizes are the same. There may be a slight horn difference if you're comparing 22-fret models to 24-fret models.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
            OK, it's a stupid question, but please put me outta my misery. The reason I ask is because I've never played a Soloist, and may end up going for one. My DK1 feels heavier than my WR1, presumably because most of the weight is concentrated in the body. As for finishes, I'm sorely stempted by copper snakeskin.
            Your WR1 must be made out of lighter wood.

Every guitar is different in terms of weight, one soloist might be 6 pounds where another might be 9). The poplar ones were the best in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by laihojrxo View Post
              if you ask me....
              and yes, i;ve messed around sl2h for quite sometime since my local music store has one and it seems that no one wants to buy it...oh well, good for me(i love it, but i would say that i'm still not good enough for USA models) XD
              there are some damn nice bolt on's and I personally like bolt on's better than neck throughs for the sound of them. also the fact that most bolt on's have an unfinished neck.

Comment

99% of neck through guitar > bolt on guitars
                +1

Comment

dude, you are so right! I'd take a neckthru Hondo or Vester over a crappy bolt-on Charvel or Jackson any day
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    No, the body sizes are the same. There may be a slight horn difference if you're comparing 22-fret models to 24-fret models.
                    body sizes are the same but i think he meant if you put them side by side. I did that and the sl2h is about an inch or 2 longer.has something to do with where the necks meet the body. I've got rid of the sl2h but remember reaching more playing the e and f.

Comment

if you ask me....
                      you would be surprised how much better you will play on a good guitar.
                      198? Charvel Model 2B s/n 245085
                      1987 Charvel Model 6 s/n C707218
                      2001 SL2H Black Pearl s/n U09404
                      2006 SL2HT Burnt Cherry Sunburst s/n U18151
                      2008 USA C/S Soloist Soft Arch Carved Top Tiger Eye JA0510
                      2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 006666 (Ebony Fretboard)
                      2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 007066 (Maple Freboard)

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                        dude, you are so right! I'd take a neckthru Vester over a crappy bolt-on Charvel or Jackson any day
                        wow - are those still around? i had a neckthrough vester my senior year in high school; it had a crazy 'crackel' silver finish. my mom still has the proofs where i took my senior pictures with it...

Comment

Originally posted by drixll View Post
                          you would be surprised how much better you will play on a good guitar.
                          well, there's a reason why a neckthrough guitars are more expensive than most bolt ons one; they're supposed to be better than bolt ons guitars. but to be honest, my Fusion ex > any gibson/epi shits i've ever played. revise that, my fusion ex plays better than most guitar i've ever played(based on how the neck feel + playability). thats why i still have it.
                          Own:
                          '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
                          w/e catches my eyes ATM
                          More '90 Professionals

Comment

well, there's a reason why a neckthrough guitars are more expensive than most bolt ons one; they're supposed to be better than bolt ons guitars. but to be honest, my Fusion ex > any gibson/epi shits i've ever played. revise that, my fusion ex plays better than most guitar i've ever played(based on how the neck feel + playability). thats why i still have it.
                            i've never played a bolt-on that can hold a candle to any of my neck-thrus. i played a usa deluxe strat last night a jam night, and, well...

...let's just say that i'm a jackson man for life, and leave it at that...

Comment

Originally posted by drixll View Post
                              i've never played a bolt-on that can hold a candle to any of my neck-thrus. i played a usa deluxe strat last night a jam night, and, well...

...let's just say that i'm a jackson man for life, and leave it at that...
                              try the '90 professionals. you would be surprised of what's in store for you
                              and i would be surprised that you burned that usa deluxe strat and do a tribal dance next to the fire, then take our your main wep outta nowhere and shred like mad. hey i know i would do that
                              Own:

Dreamin abt:
                              w/e catches my eyes ATM
                              More '90 Professionals

Comment

Working...
                              X