Revitalisation (JSX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revitalisation (JSX)

Becoming increasingly dissapointed in my tone, I changed my powertubes today from JJ 6l6's back to the original JJ el34's in my JSX. Always double check that selector switch, I put it on el34 and bumped it back to 6l6 while dusting and putting the back mesh on again, thank god I double checked and am anal about this shit I also only had the bias knob set a little over half way, put it pretty much half way for the el34's. It could have been running cold on the 6l6's, but I always thought the poweramp gave me the sound I didn't like.

Anyways I fire it up, get the cherries, all good. Then the magic happened! Perfect thick, articulate, flat, chuggy tone! The 6l6's musta been on the way out, they were kinda buzzy, very very harsh, and not huge in the bass response like the amp has been without cranking the bass up way to much. And my god the treble, I couldn't dial it out! I have a whole heap of 'riffs n tones' videos I take with my digicam, loaded up one of when I just brought this amp home and realised I'd strayed way to far out from why I bought it! Heres the kicker: when I first got it I loved it but hated the mids, and a particular section of them just wasn't working for me. I changed the preamp and power tubes (svetlana 6l6s were beautiful, made the jj's sound plain in comparison, but one popped after a few months). I'd never tried these new preamp tubes with the origianl power tubes. Seriously, all it takes is a tung sol 12ax7 and any midhump goes away and the amp becomes a ravenous beast

I was very close to getting a new eq for the loop, but now I just wanna try kt77's. I'd pick up a set right now but....hey look my keyboard has the chart of the aud vs usd: \

So there ya go, el34's are awesome, 6l6's are too, but for the love of god, get a tung sol 12ax7 and run it in atleast V1!

I went thru all 3 types with mine and KT-77's defeinitely are my favorites in a JSX.
    I also have the Tung sol in V1 and that helps a lot as well.
    You might want to try an RFT in v3, I've nothing but great things about them. Smooth and vey gainy.
    Sadly the current economy has caused me and the Mrs. some problems and my JSX is on the Bay right now.
    Last edited by kmanick; 10-15-2008, 11:50 AM.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

That sucks to hear dude, just keep a tight grip on that mkIII! JSX's seem relatively easy to come by cheap over there. I just cant get enough of this wild distortion at the moment. I prefer the JJ ecc803s to the ecc83s for the distortion (v2), but want to try a tung sol aswell. I'll add RFT to the mix too when I can get my hands on one or more, its amazing what you can dig up around here.

Comment

Yeah, Nick that truly sucks to hear!! But its not you can't buy one in the future when you decide to do so. One good thing about Peavey..and you already did your homework with them. Dude, I went thru FIVE 5150's and kept going back and then just moved on. I'd go with a JSX over the 5150 these days..

Very good to hear Bibz..YES YES YES. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the midrange honk. At loud band volumes it is ALWAYS there. It could NOT be dialed out whatsoever and I absoltely hated it! If I couldn't get rid of that "honk" the Uberschall would have been gone..gone..gone.. My Marshall has nothing BUT mids..but it has the right mids, like Marshalls do. The uber sounded like a woofy, low mid boat horn..it sounded like a fuggin' oboe or a cello. Fuck I hated it with a passion. I have six match Tung Sols in there and I will never go back. Yes, its much darker, yes the low end has doubled, there is more gain..but I back off the gain for the first time, I'm cutting the lows, which I never did before and it never sounded better. It was either that or it had to go..simple as that! Fuck when I first played the JSX, and JVM the first time I was jealous and pissed..but I'm cool now, I'm content.

Sorry to hear it Nick. I'm happy for your Bibz.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill, you've got mail

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          Yeah, Nick that truly sucks to hear!! But its not you can't buy one in the future when you decide to do so. One good thing about Peavey..and you already did your homework with them. Dude, I went thru FIVE 5150's and kept going back and then just moved on. I'd go with a JSX over the 5150 these days..

Very good to hear Bibz..YES YES YES. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the midrange honk. At loud band volumes it is ALWAYS there. It could NOT be dialed out whatsoever and I absoltely hated it! If I couldn't get rid of that "honk" the Uberschall would have been gone..gone..gone.. My Marshall has nothing BUT mids..but it has the right mids, like Marshalls do. The uber sounded like a woofy, low mid boat horn..it sounded like a fuggin' oboe or a cello. Fuck I hated it with a passion. I have six match Tung Sols in there and I will never go back. Yes, its much darker, yes the low end has doubled, there is more gain..but I back off the gain for the first time, I'm cutting the lows, which I never did before and it never sounded better. It was either that or it had to go..simple as that! Fuck when I first played the JSX, and JVM the first time I was jealous and pissed..but I'm cool now, I'm content.

Sorry to hear it Nick. I'm happy for your Bibz.
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

bought a used 1960's RFT 12ax7 and it sound sweet! 20 bucks
            EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
            1959Epiphone les paul
            george L cables
            mxr pedals
            Engl fireball 100

Comment

Working...
            X