Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Amp Suggestions

Hey guys,
    I needed some help choosing a new amp. I want something that has the sound of a Fender Hotrod Deluxe (a nice crackle), but is more suitable for smaller areas. I found that the Hotrod Deluxe had the sound I enjoyed, but was simply too loud for my location. I'm okay with the amp being loud if it has a headphone option, but that one does not. Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar sounding amp?

Also, I have been told by a few people to try the Fender Princeton recording amp. I have never heard it before, but I'm told it has a headphone jack and a built in attenuator. I just have no idea if it will sound like the Hotrod.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

You might see if you can find some of the smaller Riveras to try out, especially the Pubster 25. That amp is designed by Paul Rivera, who designed amps for Fender back in the early '80's. The Super Champ is one of his designs and the Pubster continues in that category of small amp.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

That's a toughy, but I guess I'd recommend the Hotrod Pro Junior if they still make it. All tube, I think about 15 watts, and 1-1x10 speaker.
      "POOP"

Comment

look at the princeton recording amp - it costs about 900. also look at the small rivera fuel0707 mentioned. it is around the same price, give or take. the prices recently went up so i am not sure what they cost now...

either of those should be good. the rivera might get a bit dirtier than the princeton, which - when cranked - will have a lot of power tube distortion.

this amp MAY be the ticket...

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85993
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Get a DRRI 22 watts compared to 40. The PRRI is a really good amp but the 10" speaker dosn't sound as good as a 12". The money difference isn't that much between the two.

Comment

thanks for the suggestions.
            I'll keep you guys posted on whatever happens on my end. If you can think of anything else, please let me know.

Comment

if you are in the houston area give these guys a call. i think he will even ship out. www.chappellamps.com

Comment

+1 on the DRRI.
                The Princeton is ok, but it is overpriced for what it is.
                OTOH, it sounds nothing like an HRDX.
                You will need a pedal to get distortion out of either the Princeton or the DRRI unless
                dimed. And the DRRI is loud even at "3".

Comment

Hey Guys,

So I have given the Princeton a go and I find that it sounds great, but not right for me. It is a little too bright sounding for my purposes. I will now go back and try the Blues Deluxe Reissue. I want the amp to have a vintage sounding crackle too it, or some break up... Anyway, do any of you have experience with this amp and does it have that break up or crackle that sounds vintage? I don't want it to be distorted, just have this slight crackle to it. Also, if it does produce this sound, can it do it at a volume suitable to a small setting?

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Comment

The 12" speaker will be a better fit and have a fuller sound .

Comment

DRRI then.

Comment

nhlstar I have great news for you.
                        I have heard that the fender HRD is one of the most popular tube amps made but I haven't really heard that many people brag on them. The good thing about this is that they go for dirt cheap. The older ones are american made, that is where I would look. especially places like craigslist.
                        When you get your amp you can "monkey" with your tube selection and tweek your bias for an earlier breakup to get that sound you want without going so loud. Here is a link to a cool guy that will help you with tube selection. http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-j.htm
                        another thing to think about is the speaker. http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/

Comment

HRDX is great if you never take it out of the house...so I hear.
                          I hang out at the Fender sites...the HRDX has a bad rep for breaking down.
                          Don't get me wrong, it is a great sounding amp...but nowhere near gigging quality.

The most frequent complaint is the cheap boards and cold solder joints.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                            HRDX is great if you never take it out of the house...so I hear.
                            I hang out at the Fender sites...the HRDX has a bad rep for breaking down.
                            Don't get me wrong, it is a great sounding amp...but nowhere near gigging quality.

The most frequent complaint is the cheap boards and cold solder joints.
                            Does that pertain to the older USA or the newer Mexican made? mine is pretty old I have had it so long I don't even remember what year I bought it and it was already old & used with a celestion 80 when i got it. There was one time it gave me trouble when I didn't use contact cleaner on the sockets when replacing the tubes. I'll try to find out what year mine is

Comment

From what I have seen, it is the very design that gives it the bad reputation. The thin circuit board is one. The solder joint problem may be more on the newer ROHS compliant amps. It gets politically touchy to discuss it, so who knows.

I use good old fashioned 60/40 leaded, so be careful to never eat my amps, or use them to cook food with.

Comment

Working...
                              X