looking for a new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a new amp

greetings, ive owned a line 6 spider 2 amp for quite a while. After years of just hearing music ive come to relize this amp sounds like plastic. Ive played a few marshalls(mg's, jcm 900 and 2000) and they just didnt cut it, im looking for an amp that can deliver a full bodied sound, tight distortion with lows and a very aggressive sound. Im willing to flex my wallet here, any recommendations? Im really interested on the VHT ultra lead head and the Peavey 6505. Any other amps that i should be aware of would be appreciated.

randall rm100
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Well depending on what price range you are looking at here are a few to try and play in addition to what you mentioned.

Bogner Uberschall
      ENGL Powerball
      Mesa Recto of some sort
      Peavey XXX

I currently own a Powerball and I love it. What types of band's tones are you going for? There are a ton of great amps out there that can do what you need.

Comment

You're gonna get as many different opinions as posts here!!

Rivera K-Tre
        Egnater Tourmaster
        Randall Modulars

Depending on what type of sound you're looking for, some less expensive, but very good alternatives are the Carvin X100b and Carvin V3.

Comment

Any Mesa Rectifier will do the trick. Single, Dual or Triple.

Comment

Problem soved. Next question... NEXT QUESTION... NEXT!!!

Your welcome [/Jack Black inpersonation]
            Last edited by Aaronharmon; 10-12-2008, 09:10 PM.

Comment

VHT Pitbull... KTre... SigX! (man, that SigX is the shit!)
              Ubershall... Cheap amp that sounds brutal? Peavey XXX

Comment

Mesa
                Jeff Smeltz

Comment

thanks for all the responses, i really appreciate it. Im going to visit guitar center and other music stores sometime this week to try em all out, i just want an amp with tight distortion and that has a body to it. What cabs should i try out? i always hear great things about marshall 1960's and b 52's

Comment

Gorilla!!!!
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

A Mesa Mark III or IV

Comment

nothing wrong with a b-52, I have a at 100 half stack and it does a great job.

Comment

6505+ all the way dude. with the 6505 cab!!

Comment

Important question: Are you playing in a band? If so, don't worry about low frequencies. That's the bassist's job.

That said, I've gotten some great, aggressive distortion out of the Carvin MTS and V3 heads. Gotta have the right cabinet, tough. The MTS, for instance, hates the Peavey 5150 412 cabinet. But an Avater 212 wakes it right up.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                              Gorilla!!!!
                              yeah baby ! Go gorilla! lol
                              EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
                              1959Epiphone les paul
                              george L cables
                              mxr pedals
                              Engl fireball 100

Comment

Working...
                              X