Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Jackson

Hi. My first post.

Ok, sorry for boring you with my life story. I just erased it.

Short version. Just started playing acoustic guitar at age 45. Of course I want an electric now. Started researching guitars. Learned about Jackson. I've narrowed my choices down to SL1, SL2H, SL2H-MAH.

I can't play anything now, but I hope to learn to play the music I like, which is a variety of rock, generally what would be called hard rock and metal, from the late 60's to now. I guess I want some tonal flexibility.

I edited this to shorten it after several of you responded. Thanks for your responses. They are right on target with what I wanted to learn about. SL1, more strat-like, some people like its wider variety of pup combos, but others don't like the middle pup, and point out that with various wirings you can get a wide variety of sounds from 2 humbuckers. And then there's the mahogony factor.

Thanks for responses, so far. I'll respond in update.
    Last edited by jesster; 10-22-2008, 04:06 PM. Reason: I thought of more stuff to write about.

Sound difference between SL1/SL2 are only pickup wise. Meaning, bridge position on the SL1/SL2 will give the same tone. However, because the SL1=H/S/S and SL2=H/H you will get different tones. I'd say if you looking for more Fender strat tones, it's a lot easier with the SL1. I've have both buy I prefer the SL1 because for the music I play (80's covers) because I've got more choices in tone. So, in choosing a guitar, don't forget to make sure it fits the style of music you like.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I've had guitars since 1985. I have over 30 right now. My Bengal SL2H was the last guitar I bought a little over a year ago, and it's been one of the best F'ing guitars I ever purchased (I have 4 excellent Les Pauls and 2 SGs)

While I only play Metal, I think you could take a stock SL2H and get into Pink Floyd territory by some very simple modifications - a push/pull switch in the volume and tone controls would let you switch the humbuckers into single coil mode. With that, this one guitar will cover just about anything.

Even without that mod, the neck humbucker would probably be pretty close for Pink Floyd stuff even in humbucker mode.

I prefer the SL2H over the SL1 because the middle pickup just bugs me. I'd rather have a Hum / Single SL or a single hum.

Save up your cash and get the SL2H. Resale value tends to stay high, so you won't regret it if you decide guitars aren't your thing.

Comment

Buy the best used guitar you can and don't forget a good tube amp/pedal/speaker combo. I really pimp the epiphone valve jr. to neophytes as they are cost efficient and easily modded as you learn what you like and dislike. Having a workable tone is important. I don't know about the sl1 or sl2 but would choose mahogany as the tone wood. Old model 6 charvels (87 or so) are great buys too and play as well as any Jackson at only about $600, there is something to be said about old wood. It just sounds great. Oh and welcome to the fray, good helpful people here...
          www.JerryRobison.com
          '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
            Sound difference between SL1/SL2 are only pickup wise. Meaning, bridge position on the SL1/SL2 will give the same tone. However, because the SL1=H/S/S and SL2=H/H you will get different tones. I'd say if you looking for more Fender strat tones, it's a lot easier with the SL1. I've have both buy I prefer the SL1 because for the music I play (80's covers) because I've got more choices in tone. So, in choosing a guitar, don't forget to make sure it fits the style of music you like.

joe...
            I agree with Joe here. I like both the SL1 and SL2, but prefer the SL1 for getting the more traditional "Strat" tones. I play Gibson's and Fender's as well and the middle PUP does not matter to me at all on the SL1. If it gets in the way of your picking, you can always lower it ala Malmsteen.

Welcome aboard! Keep on a pickin' and a grinnin'
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Please, people, stop referring to the SL2H as the SL2. The SL2 was a cheaper USA model a while back designed to be more affordable than the SL1, and it's not the same as the SL2H, which is the same level as the SL1. The only reason it has a 2 in its name is to say that it has two humbuckers, i.e. 2H.

Sorry, but it just bugs me when people say SL2 but mean SL2H. Rant over!

In terms of choosing between them, the only differences are the pickups as has been stated. The SL1, being hum/single/single (hss) is probably the more versatile instrument as it can handle 'softer' music styles with the single coils, while the SL2H's two humbuckers (hh) are more suited to heavier things. This doesn't mean it can't play softer things, of course, as a lot of it depends on your amp settings. Also, some people don't like the hss layout of the SL1 because they feel that the middle pickup can get in the way of their picking hand.

That's about it, as otherwise they're pretty much the same instrument. If you do buy one, make sure you get a decent amp to play it through, so that you do the Jackson justice.

Finally, as someone has already mentioned, it might be a good idea to look for a good used guitar. You can find some in great condition for far less than the new price.
              I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Ok, thanks for the responses. All of them are very on-target with the questions I've been asking about getting a guitar that can put out a variety of sounds. Amp advice also heard.

So, here are my thoughts in response...

One of the things I really like about Soloists is the neck-through construction. It's so solid, and it doesn't have a big heel/plate at the joint. There are quite a few things about Soloists that I really like, which contribute to me wanting one. I could end up getting something else, but I'm targetting my efforts toward picking up an SL1, SL2H or SL2H-MAH.

When I think mahogany, I think of the War Pigs intro (Black Sabbath). Iommi is playing an SG, I assume(?). The tones are awesome. However, my recollection of music that I've heard that (I thought) was played on mahogany guitars like the SG and LP Custom is that the high notes aren't so "bright." Somewhat of a trade-off there?

Ok, I almost started another thread on my next question, which is about locating a good value on a used guitar. I wonder how one goes about that.

I live in an area with low population density, 5 hours drive from any big cities. So, there aren't many used guitars for sale around here. Most that are for sale are the cheaper ones, and while getting a guitar for $150 is appealing, I kind of want a really nice one, like a Soloist, which I won't likely see around here.

So, if I want to find a used Soloist, I'd probably have to find it online. How does one go about making sure that they get a high quality used guitar when shopping online? I can see from pictures whether the finish is shiny or scratched and dented, whether the frets show a lot of wear, etc., but what about other stuff someone might not tell you about or show in a picture?

Comment

It's a crap-shoot finding one online, but that said, most of my guitars have been purchased online and I've never had a bad experience, knock on wood.

Comment

Originally posted by jesster View Post
                    How does one go about making sure that they get a high quality used guitar when shopping online? I can see from pictures whether the finish is shiny or scratched and dented, whether the frets show a lot of wear, etc., but what about other stuff someone might not tell you about or show in a picture?
                    You could ask for the serial number of the guitar, and compare it to Jackson (or whatever brand you buy) databases to see if it's authentic and to get the production year....

Comment

Or better yet, just buy from a JCF member. You get a far better deal here than any Joe Bloggs you meet on ebay.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                        Or better yet, just buy from a JCF member. You get a far better deal here than any Joe Bloggs you meet on ebay.
                        Yep, if you're looking for a good used guitar it's always a good idea to have a browse through the JCF Classifieds forum. Most of the members here look after their guitars pretty well. If I were buying I'd look here first.
                        I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Thanks for the info about the forum section where folks sell their guitars. It looked good.

What do you think of Musician's Friend and their "Scratch and Dent"s and "Blemished"s? I recently saw a black SL2H there for $1350. The site says you can return it if you don't like it.

Comment

Hmm. 45. Like metal and hard rock from the 60s forward (whihc pretty much died in about '89 with a few exceptions). I am not a young guy and have the first jackson I ever laid hands on ('84 RR) as well as am the original owner of an 89 KV. I also have an '01 soloist. Thay all sit is cases now.

Check out a pre-86 or post '04 Charvel. The oil finished neck will sell you and you will learn to live with the neck joint (yes, the neck is THAT good), especially if you are learning on an acoustic (which I have always uniformally found to be generally unplayable myself).

Just my thoughts.
                            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by jesster View Post
                              Thanks for the info about the forum section where folks sell their guitars. It looked good.

What do you think of Musician's Friend and their "Scratch and Dent"s and "Blemished"s? I recently saw a black SL2H there for $1350. The site says you can return it if you don't like it.
                              since you said you just started playing guitar, why not start from a MIJ guitars. a while back, me and my group of friends started playing guitar around the same time, 1 year later, only 2/10 of us are still playing guitar (i'm one of the 2 of course), so not trying to discourage you or anything, but i think its best if you start from the basic, esp since you're new to electric guitars, spending big bucks on your first guitar could be a mistake(like diff neck taste, etc). hey, my first guitar was a cheap washburn i got from the pawnshop. i didnt really like it; a few people recommended a epi/gib or fender/squier...i got em, and resell em a few weeks later since i hated em as well...then i went to GC for the first time, and just instantly fell in love w/ jackson guitars (my first jackson i've ever played was a SLSMG). so i would suggest that you play around in your local music store just to make sure. hey, since you got the money, buy w/e you fell in love it, and rock her all day/night
                              Own:
                              '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
                              w/e catches my eyes ATM
                              More '90 Professionals

Comment

Working...
                              X