Finally... Roundhorn content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally... Roundhorn content

Back in 2001 or 2002 I saw either this guitar or one just like it on ebay for (if I recall correctly) $1300. The next time I checked, it had gone. Then it appeared again a few months later, for I believe around $1800. And I missed it both times, but that didn't seem like a big deal at the time because the concept of buying from the US was totally new to me and because I didn't realise how rare Vs were, and that Jackson were about to stop making them.

So last Tuesday I came home from work slightly worse for wear and this thing was listed on ebay, for a very reasonable BIN. I quickly balanced the risk of a negative feedback resulting from a drunken BIN vs the horror of missing out again, and needless to say, the BIN won out. And it arrived yesterday.

This is basically my perfect roundhorn V (2 hum, sharkfins, binding, rev headstock, floyd) with the small exception of the recessed trem. Which I know is a fairly fundemental build feature, but while I wouldn't ever order one, it's something I'm perfectly happy to deal with on a guitar like this.

The guitar was built in 2000, and I'm going to see if I can track down a work order for it. It's got a pretty standard Soloist neck profile, and the condition is pretty good. I'd give it a solid 8.5 - 9.0 out of 10. There's a clearcoat crack on the front behind the trem recess (see pic), and another tiny clearcoat crack on the treble side of the nut, plus some minor scratches on the lower side and some small dings on the wing ends. But that's it. And for the price I paid, I'm VERY happy indeed

Anyway, here are some pics. Enjoy.....

Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

VERY nice! Love the dragon!
    Didn't Robbin Crosby have something like this?

Comment

I'm in awe!

Comment

Nice score Ian! Good thing I was not on Ebay too many drunken Buy It Nows for me I gotta thin the herd.

Comment

LOL Thanks Jason

Comment

I dig it - congrats on the purchase... but why was it passed around so much? I hope it plays and sounds good.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Good decision on the BIN. Thats a rare piece and ya never know when another may come up. Cool, axe, man !
              I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

It's fuggin awesome mate! nice grab

Comment

Agree with everyone, that is a nice one! It's refreshing to see those roundhorns now a days ain't it?
                  Too bad Gibson messed it up for us J/C guys LOL!!!
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven
                  Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

That is so cool!
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                      Too bad Gibson messed it up for us J/C guys LOL!!!
                      Unfortunately, it was Fender that "messed it up", not Gibson...

Comment

awesome guitar

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                          Unfortunately, it was Fender that "messed it up", not Gibson...
                          What was it that Fender messed up?

Comment

An absolutely KILLER guitar! It looks awesome! How much did you have to shell out for it?
                            My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

That is killer, there was a similar one in the '94 catalog: http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage.php?album=61&pos=25 but it lacked the "custom shop" on the headstock and had a Schaller trem...
                              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                              Gotta get away from here.
                              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                              X