Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best noise suppressor/hum eliminator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best noise suppressor/hum eliminator?

I’m looking for something that doesn’t suck the tone all to hell and back. It is only on my dirty channels and goes away when the volume is turned down on the guitar so I am thinking that it would have to sit in front of the amp. Any thoughts, recommendations, etc?

The best one I have ever used is the MXR Smartgate.

Comment

ISP Decimator works really well. I think they ALL suck at least some of your tone tho.

Comment

+1 for the MXR Smart Gate
        Your friendly neighborhood import whore :: '08 DK2M, '08 DKMG, '03 KVX10, '94 Dinky Rev.

Comment

I've been very happy with the ISP Decimator. I use it with my Powerball and it doesn't seem to suck too much tone, and it really does control the noise well.

Comment

lol I got 2 votes for the ISP Decimator and 2 votes for the MXR Smart Gate

Comment

Decimator. Works wonderfully.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Is that a rack mount deal? I would perfer a pedal.

Comment

I haven't tried the Decimator, but I've got a Boss NS2 and MXR Smargate. The Smartgate works better.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronharmon View Post
                    Is that a rack mount deal? I would perfer a pedal.
                    Look into the older HUSH The Pedal. I have a couple of them myself and they work great. Hush The Pedal has two units in one basically. You can adjust the threshold on A to be higher/lower than on B and that allows you to have a lower setting for your clean channel so it doesn't choke off the notes. In your case since its only the high gain channel that is noisy you can just use one setting on it. The older Hush The Pedal is discontinued but they pop up on E-Bay quite often and can be had for $50-75 depending on condition. I have since changed this pedal board around but you can see the Hush pedal towards the upper left area, its the blue pedal. Good luck in your search for a good noise suppressor

Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I haven't tried the Smartgate but own an ISP Decimator pedal and that one works great. I like it much better than the Boss NS2.
                      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                        Look into the older HUSH The Pedal. I have a couple of them myself and they work great.
                        This is what I use in my live rig. I have had a variety of Boss and Rocktron gates, some better than other. The Hush (pedal) has served me quite well, although the rackmount Guitar Silencer is the most transparent. Although I haven't tried this, I think the ideal setup would be to use something like a Hush IICX, which has two independent channels and could use one side between your guitar and amp, and the second in the effects loop.
                        sigpic

Comment

I listened to jgcable and got an MXR smart gate. Its awesome. No tone sucking there. Its hardwire bypass too. I used to own the ISP decimator a few years ago and I personally think the smart gate is better since it has a lot more options at fine tuning your suppression. I got a brand new looking used mxr gate from the fleabay for $80.

But lately, the ISP decimator has come out with a new pedal which has an FX loop like the NS-2 does. I have not tried that one, but the noise reduction characteristics of the ISP combined with the features of the NS-2 seems like a great idea to me. BUt its crazy expensive tho.
                          Sam

Comment

the smartgate is good, you will like it.

Comment

plus you cant beat the size of those tiny MXR pedals. I love 'em. Got the MXR dynacomp, the smartgate and someday the carbon copy.
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X