Peavey 5150 Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 5150 Combo

I heard a live band on Saturday night. 1 guitar, bass, drums and a singer. They did everything from SRV to VH to Nirvana to The Kinks and The Stones....even The Police. Basically, a top 100 rock cover band.
    Guitar player had a Wolfgang, a Yamaha import and a 5150 Combo. It wasn't mic'd. None of the instruments were. Only the vocals. The pedals he used were a Dimebag Wah and a flanger.
    For those of you who don't think the 5150 is versatile you are wrong. This guy had great tone for all the styles of music from clean to scream and everything inbetween.
    The only thing I noticed was a bunch of hiss coming from the 5150 but thats normal for a 5150 and could have been tamed by using a noise gate.
    I am really picky when it comes to live guitar tone. I can find the bad in just about anything. This guys tone was all good and the amp is bone stock. He was just an average player too.

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
    I heard a live band on Saturday night. 1 guitar, bass, drums and a singer. They did everything from SRV to VH to Nirvana to The Kinks and The Stones....even The Police. Basically, a top 100 rock cover band.
    Guitar player had a Wolfgang, a Yamaha import and a 5150 Combo. It wasn't mic'd. None of the instruments were. Only the vocals. The pedals he used were a Dimebag Wah and a flanger.
    For those of you who don't think the 5150 is versatile you are wrong. This guy had great tone for all the styles of music from clean to scream and everything inbetween.
    The only thing I noticed was a bunch of hiss coming from the 5150 but thats normal for a 5150 and could have been tamed by using a noise gate.
    I am really picky when it comes to live guitar tone. I can find the bad in just about anything. This guys tone was all good and the amp is bone stock. He was just an average player too.
    I heard the same from a buddy.
    EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
    1959Epiphone les paul
    george L cables
    mxr pedals
    Engl fireball 100

Comment

I've owned and loved my 5150s. But I have never played a 5150 that didn't sound dead as a coffin...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
        I've owned and loved my 5150s. But I have never played a 5150 that didn't sound dead as a coffin...

This one didn't sound dead.

Comment

That's well, hard to believe. I've played quite a few, and would love having one (although they really are extremely heavy) and they were VERY dead sounding compared to a head and 4x12... Even Bill would agree I'm sure...

I suppose anything can be altered with appropriate miking, Ummm, I suppose... hehe...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
            That's well, hard to believe. I've played quite a few, and would love having one (although they really are extremely heavy) and they were VERY dead sounding compared to a head and 4x12... Even Bill would agree I'm sure...

I suppose anything can be altered with appropriate miking, Ummm, I suppose... hehe...

This one wasn't mic'd. It was turned up pretty loud though. I had 2 of them and I would have kept them if they weren't so heavy to haul around. I used to dread gigging because of how much they weighed.
            This guy had very good very versatile tone and he had no processing, no mic'ing and no mods.

Comment

I had a 5150 combo before I bought my JSX and I have to agree with John.
              Once I retubed it with tungsols and low gain JJ's in the preamp and Ruby
              Winged C 6L6's, it cleaned up a hell of a lot better and the gain tones
              were much smoother. I like the voicings on the combos, but I hate the
              stock speakers, I ran mine thru a marshall 1960AX top loaded with
              Greenbacks and it sounded great.
              If peavey would sell a 60 watt head version of the combo I'd buy one in a
              heartbeat.
              Last edited by kmanick; 10-11-2008, 04:09 PM.
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                I had a 5150 combo before I bought my JSX and I have to agree with John.
                Once I retubed it with tungsols and low gain JJ's in the preamp and Ruby
                Winded C 6L6's, it cleaned up a hell of a lot better and the gain tones
                were much smoother. I like the voicings on the combos, but I hate the
                stock speakers, I ran mine thru a marshall 1960AX top loaded with
                Greenbacks and it sounded great.
                If peavey would sell a 60 head version of the combo I'd buy one in a
                heartbeat.
                They need to come up with a lightweight version!!

Comment

I know that this is way off topic but any thoughts(good/bad) on the Carvin Legacy 2x12 combo? I was thinking of picking one up. And I do have a 5150II head that I bought from a fellow JCF member a few years back and still love the amp. And it's bone stock.
                  "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Working...
                  X