7 band or 10 band equalizer pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 band or 10 band equalizer pedal?

Which one do you think is more helpful? Besides the "duh" answer that 10 band is more useful in shaping the tone than 7 band, are the other 3 bands "really" useful or are they just there because? Also, if I want to go for a 10 band and I dont want to use a seperate power adapter, are there any out there? 'cause the MXR ones need a 18V adapter to work. I want to just use it with the godlyke. Thanks
    Sam

Mine goes to 11

Comment

no kidding! Is that a Marshall EQ pedal?
      Sam

Comment

MXR 10 band EQ in the loop is one the best things money can buy.
        I always have one in every loop of every amp I ever use.
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

+1 to the MXR 10-Band in the loop. I don't have any experience with a 7 band but I swear by that MXR. It worked great with my Mesa Single Recto and works great with my Powerball. It gives a ton more control over your sound.

Comment

I have heard great things about the MXR. Our bassist uses one for his guitar. But it needs a 18V adapter right? From the pics I've seen there seems to be LED's on the sliders. The product manual says that the 18V increases the headroom.
            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
              MXR 10 band EQ in the loop is one the best things money can buy.
              I always have one in every loop of every amp I ever use.
              Can't argue with that.
              If you can't get a 10 band there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Boss GE-7. Its an industry standard.

Comment

+1 what JG said. I have used both and they are both excellent.

If you really want total contol a Parametric EQ is even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
                  +1 what JG said. I have used both and they are both excellent.

If you really want total contol a Parametric EQ is even better.

Caviat.... a Parametric EQ is the best PROVIDING you know how to use it.
                  They aren't easy to sweep and you can really make your tone sound BAD if you don't know what you are doing. With a basic graphic EQ you can set it to a smiley face and you are pretty much good to go. For solo's just boost the mids.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    Caviat.... a Parametric EQ is the best PROVIDING you know how to use it.
                    They aren't easy to sweep and you can really make your tone sound BAD if you don't know what you are doing. With a basic graphic EQ you can set it to a smiley face and you are pretty much good to go. For solo's just boost the mids.
                    Yeah. I remember when I first starting using one. Man did I fuck up my tone. lol. I admit it! I scooped the mids and drove the bass so hard it sounded like you stuck your head in a bass drum while frying an egg at the same time.

Graphic eq's are much easier to work with. Set it and forget it. The Parametric is something you will noodle with for a long time before you really get something worthy.

Comment

I've heard of both. What's the difference? Does the parametric deal with phase changes like the BBE sonic stomp or something? cause I do have the BBE, but somehow even though it enhances my lows pretty well and rounds them up, the highs are either too shrill or lost in the mix. So, I was thinking I will use the BBE for the low end and the equalizer for the high end and mids.
                      Sam

Comment

I have a parametric eq in my loop at the moment....I'm picking up a mxr 10-band when I can

Though the parametric is great for nailing dimetones! I've also got a ge-7 but its just not working for me. Plenty of easy mods for those guys though, I just know the mxr is proven moreso.

Comment

I've actually got an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop of my Mark III (and it's got the on board graphic EQ).
                          I thought 2 graphic EQ's would be over kill, but a friend of mine who is a long time
                          mesa player suggested I try it (especially for the 7 string stuff) , and I must say I
                          was really pleasantly surprised by how much more I could really dial in little nuances
                          into the tone. The onboard eq is impressive enough, this just put it over the top.
                          I've already sold my Rectoverb
                          the Mark III is way more versatile and to me anyway just sounds much better all around.
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

+1 on the MXR. I use one with a head in the loop when I want to goose the tone alittle beyond what the amp is set for by just hitting a button. Excellent control, tone and ease of use.
                            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

i'm sure 10 would be better but i have a ge7 in my loop followed by the sonic stomp. i even have a ge7 in front of the amp to boost my solos. i leave it pretty much flat and dont add any gain just a little mid.

Comment

Working...
                              X