Splawn Amps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splawn Amps.

Anyone have or tried one? I wanted to get something different to go along with my uberschall. I have seen some clips and they seem pretty impressive. I was looking at picking up one of the Nitro series but, I wanted to get the opinion of the fellow JCF.

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

I am sure this has been covered before, but I have not chimed in yet. I just got a Quick Rod to give an aging mesa rack rig (triaxis - 2:90) a rest. I can tell you that I am not a marshall guy at all, but the Quick Rod completely blew me away. Really "moves" air and has a depth when you play it loud. Very responsive. Clean channel is not the best, but the amp was not designed originally for a clean channel anyway (designed instead to "clean up" with a role back of the volume on the guitar ala EVH, which it does nicely) and the knobs for the clean channel are very sensitive - good clean tone is possible if you play with it a bit. More gain then I need and just an all around great amp that sounded awsome right out of the box. I added a Boss digital reverb and MXR 10 band eq and this thing can even do death metal if I want it too . My triaxis set up was the only other amp that grabbed me this way right out of the box.

Scott Splawn is also a great guy and pleasure to deal with. THe compnay is small enough that you get real customer service.

The Nitro is supposed to take off from where the Quick Rod ends in terms of gain. More modern toned also. I have heard mixed reviews, but I think that if you like modded(as opposed to stock) marshalls, you should like a splawn alot. However, YMMV as I am more into 80s (heavy, but still 80s) tones.
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Splawn amps are incredible as far as build quality and workmanship is involved.

I've played on many Splawns and the Quick Rod is definitely my favorite.

I love the sound of hot rodded Marshall amps and when I heard that, that's all Splawn does, I knew it had to be good.

If you're not really into the modern chunky/bassy/mid scooped sound like I am then you'll love them too.

High gain, very middy and trebly to give you that really crunchy guitar tone that everyone fell in love with back in the day.

Think of Metallica - Kill Em' All

Comment

See thats the thing, with mid turned down/bass turned up a bit on the Quick Rod and then "v" the eq, it actually does do modern chunky bassed thing too. Just have to play with it.

Also does a nice Master of Puppets without the eq needed at all. "And Justice for All" type tone, for instance, it is not, but I always thought that the Justice tone was way to compressed and processed anyway for actually use outside the studio (I have a practice amp which gets close the way I have it set up and eq'd just for screwing around at low volume, but once I turn it up, it sounds like arse)
        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Please stop with your Splawn amps propaganda! I hate you all

Since I heard a "competition" on Youtube I want one badly. This amp seems to have all the features I want and at a real decent price also!
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I have a Pro Mod and it is one of the best amps I have ever owned. It is the best Hotrodded Marshall out there in my opinion.

Go join the Splawn forum. Lots of clips and great info. Good people too.

Comment

[QUOTE=BenoA;1156267]Please stop with your Splawn amps propaganda! I hate you all

+1 You guys are killing me, I want one so bad. What's a good price
              for a used Splawn?

Comment

Working...
              X