Boogie Help - 50 Cal + head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boogie Help - 50 Cal + head

I have a possible trade going for a 1992 Boogie 50 Caliber plus head. The amp comes with a the footswitch and a recent overhaul including new tubes and caps. I would be trading a vintage Ibanez Artist 2619 for the head plus $100. Is this a good deal? I've owned rectifiers, but never the 50 cal, which I guess would be comparable to the mark or dc series?

My current amps are Randall RM100, Carvin V3, Laney Protube 50, Line6 Flextone2 and Vetta. Would this be a good addition to what I already have?

Pete, want to still do the trade for the V3?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i don't particularly like the + version. but the EL84 version is a different story.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I agree. I have never been totally impressed with the 50 Caliber +

Comment

Thanx DR and John - I guess I will keep looking - I still see either a Mesa Roadster or Marshall JVM in my future...

Comment

I would look at either a Road King or a Mark IV to round out your collection.

Comment

The 50 cal + is next on my list.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

There's a really clean one available for $550 on the Minneapolis craigslist. I'd LOVE to have it, but I'm TRYING to re-fi my house now - not fun...

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                  The 50 cal + is next on my list.
                  You won't be that impressed. If you want to try out a really cool Mesa you should try a Mark III purple stripe. Its voiced similar to a Marshall but it has the bottom end and tightness of a Rectifier. Very tweakable and very cool amp. Just keep in mind that it really is a 2 channel amp with an option to change the gain structure of one of them making it sort of a 3 channel.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    You won't be that impressed. If you want to try out a really cool Mesa you should try a Mark III purple stripe. Its voiced similar to a Marshall but it has the bottom end and tightness of a Rectifier. Very tweakable and very cool amp. Just keep in mind that it really is a 2 channel amp with an option to change the gain structure of one of them making it sort of a 3 channel.
                    It can get me the COC sound, so it can't be all bad right?

I plan on getting a Mk III one day too.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                      It can get me the COC sound, so it can't be all bad right?

I plan on getting a Mk III one day too.
                      To my ears... the only 2 Mesa amps that I wasn't impressed with is the Nomad series and the Caliber series. I had a few Studio 22's also and in the beginning I had a love affair with them but that didn't last long.
                      The Mark Series and the Rectifier Series are both outstanding.

Comment

EL84 Mesa .50 cal's are KILLER amps... they didn't make them very long, and switched over to the 'plus' version that IMHO sounded like a runny shit down a pant leg. biggest difference was EL84 vs 6L6 tubes in the plus series. The EL84 50s aren't bass heavy metal monsters, but have a really nice complex midrange and remind me of an AC30 on steroids. PLENTY of gain... kinda like a studio .22 but bigger.

I've been a Mesa Magnet lately, within the last month or so I bought a DC5, a racktifier, and a Stiletto Deuce.

Comment

Working...
                        X