Good 10-20W Practice Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good 10-20W Practice Amp?

Thinking of a new amp. I have a Fender Bullet Reverb that can get loud and sounds decent but, I need my RP100 and Morley Wah to dress it up. What else is out there that is comparable, maybe with some effects built it? I'm out of the loop when it comes to amps. I pay more attention to guitars. Don't wanna spend too much cash but I'll pay a bit more if it really kicks butt. Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Roland Cube series.

Comment

Roland Cube series for sure. The Cube 30 is excellent.

Comment

Peavey have a new range of practice amps - they're reviewed in the new Guitarist magazine and they get a great review.
        Cheap as hell too, even the 30W one.

Personally, I love my Marshall AVT20.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Check out the Tech 21 Trademark 10.

Comment

All of the above are good amps to check out especially the new peavy vyper modeling amps...

Also i'd reccomend checking out the Vox AD and XL valvetronix and they have an output selector that can go from 1-30 or whatever wattage so you can drive the tube a bit more...

I've always found the cubes to be ok but lacking in the higain dept...

you could always get the 50 watt vox which should be ok for band practise if you ever go that route...

Good luck, btw i've found the vox stuff to get into that 80's hair/shred tone quite easily and comfortably...

You may also want to consider the spider III series too...

Comment

For my small practice amp I sold my Peavey Toneblaster 15 because I wanted something with a 10" speaker and a few other features. First I tried the Roland Cube but sent it back because it sounded too processed and I found most of the models to be unusable. A lot of people like them, it wasn't what I was looking for. Then I tried a VOX given the large number of positive testimonials and while it sounded a lot better, it was too "nasal" sounding for my hard rock style. Maybe I just didn't know how to dial it end but it wen't back too.

Ended up trying a Randall RX20D and it's a keeper. You never see anyone mention them but the gain channel is the most throaty I've found on a small practice amp. The clean channel is a bit bright at times but that could be my pickups. Sometimes I have to turn the tone down on my guitar when playing clean. It has some built in sound models, footswitchable, while not 100% perfect I am very satisfied with it. You can find new ones online for as little as $129 or so.
              Last edited by Tonelover; 10-05-2008, 08:42 AM.

Comment

We must have a similar ear. I also find the MicroCube to sound too processed. I like them in the store, but not at home (I've had 2 of them). And I agree that the Vox can sound a bit nasal sometimes, though I've been able to dial that out. I should've added the Vox as a possibility. I really think they're nice. I'll have to check out that Randall you mentioned. I hadn't heard of it before, but if you like it, and based on our similar observations of other amps, I might like it, too.

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
                  Roland Cube series.
                  Cube 30 is the best small amp ive ever heard...lots of
                  optional tones too... from Tweed to Mesa

Comment

Cube 30, yep. Awesome amp. Really great to run shit through it too.
                    All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

I have a Roland MicroCube and love it.

so convenient and a bunch of tones and fx.
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Definitely check out Roland cubes, real good value for the money with the effects and amp modeling. They sound very good. Some newer ones have a 4x4 speaker set up and one model has drum tracks on it too, not sure which one.
                        Jackson KV2
                        Jackson KE1T
                        Jackson KE1F
                        Jackson SL1

Comment

Roland Cube, new Peavey modeling amp and maybe a Line 6 lower end model seem to be the way to go. I have a Line 6 and personally find it to be just fine for messing around at home.
                          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

what is your price tag? im about to have one made by a local player, here in houston. its 2w tube, and it is doubble ended, just like a marshal stack or what have you.
                            here is his websitehttp://chappellamps.com/
                            Last edited by cmh2007; 10-09-2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I'm going to say a Vox Valvetronix if you're looking at lower gain, or a Cube or Randall if you're looking high gain. Fwiw though, I think the Vox sounds better. Very rich, tube-like tone. The high gain sounds are just fizzy though.

Comment

Working...
                              X