Need Your Help: Marshall Heads TSL100 vs JVM410H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Your Help: Marshall Heads TSL100 vs JVM410H

I've got a Marshall 1960A cabinet - and am in search of an EXTREMELY VERSATILE Marshall head. The two heads I've been looking at are the (now discontinued) TSL100 and the JVM410H. I am also considering the lower wattage version of each (TSL60 and JVM 205H), although I lose channels, features, etc.

All opinions, feedback, and commentary are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks.

The TSL is versatile but I wouldn't consider it extremely versatile.

An extremely versatile Marshall head would be an old school JCM800 2203/2204 because you can do anything from clean to blues to vintage and classic rock straight out of the box and if you put a pedal in front of it you can do the heaviest of metal depending on the pedal.

Comment

THe JVM410H was pretty good. It had a decent clean ant it did the hotrodded sound quite well. The JVM410H was more crunchy and less fizzy than the TSL100.

Comment

How about a DSL. I don't really like the tones of the TSL but the DSL had a great Marshall crunch. If the TSL and the JVM are the 2 amps you have narrowed it down to then I would say JVM. To my ears the TSl is not as versitle as the DSL because most of the sounds are way to sizzly-fizzy and thin.

If you are considering a DSL the prices are very good right now...

Comment

J v m . . .
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

OK - cool feedback so far. Totally appreciated.

But let's say I'm not married to either of those models I mentioned in my post.

What's a GREAT friggin' Marshall head? A head that can almost do it all right out of the box.

Of course, I can stick a pedal in front of any amp and make it sound like something else - but right out of the box, whch model covers A LOT of ground and does it all well?

I can - and will - use a pedal for the heaviest of metal tones - but short of that - what should I spend my money on?

Thanks again.

Comment

A Marshall that can do almost do it right out of the box is the JCM900 50w Super Reverb MKII
              I have had every Marshall on the planet and IMHO.. its the best one I have ever owned. A close second is the Silver Jubilee (actually its better but really expensive)

Comment

JCM 800 2210 ..the two channel 100 watt version with reverb...you don't require a stomp in front.

or

JCM 800 2203 with a SD-1, DS-1, TS-9, 808 or whatever stomp you like.

You won't lose money with either one..nice 800's are becoming few and far between. I did play a old modded JMP..that did sound great

But my very favorite Marshall rig is my 9200 w/ (5881), JMP-1, JFX-1 ..in stereo into four 1960B straight cabs w/ Celestion 75's. I prefer it to my Bogner these days...very loud and effortless to play. I've never used a stomp with it.

John G mentioned the Silver Jub..very nice if you can find one!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I played a '79 JMP and even at low volumes it sounded Killer, it only got better with more volume. It have a wonderful crunch tone.

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                    THe JVM410H was pretty good. It had a decent clean ant it did the hotrodded sound quite well. The JVM410H was more crunchy and less fizzy than the TSL100.

I agree.....though I've never played a JVM,,,I used to own a TSL100 for several years. It really was pretty thin and buzzy sounding on the gain channels. Clean channel was pristine though. I just could never dial in a nice warm distorted sound . Once I A/B'ed it to a Soldano....well, my die hard Marshall days were over immediately.

Comment

Good stuff, guys.

Any and all other feedback on Marshall heads would be appreciated.

Thanks, again.

Comment

the best marshall I ever had was a vertical input JCM800 50watter and with a soldano hotmod in it it killed. Good for one thing and that was metal/rock/blues. single channel but with the volume on your guitar rolled back it had a nice but gritty clean. miss that amp.

how about a jmp1 with a kickass power amp.... ?
                        Last edited by Firebird V; 10-08-2008, 07:12 AM.

Comment

I have a JVM 410H full stack (2 x 1960 w/ G12 75's). Its the most versatile Marshall I'd say. Its has to be really. 4 channels with 3 modes in each. Nice clean channel, really nice crunch and over the top gain. The footswitch is programmable too and with two master volumes you can figure a solo boost etc... Its got pretty much all bases covered.
                          Probably be even better with an eq pedal and suppressor (its not too noisy even though its very loud) to get the best out of it. The higher gain can get fizzy but its still very good.

However, I pretty much use it as a power amp now for my BOSS GT-10 and I'm getting the best tones I've ever had. Absolutely crystal clear brutal tone. No tone suckage at all.

It probably sounds like sacrilege but, fuck it, it works. Really, really well.
                          I was going to get a JMP-1 set up but there's no need now. I have what I need.

But anyway, it sounds like you need the JVM410H.
                          All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
                            How about a DSL. I don't really like the tones of the TSL but the DSL had a great Marshall crunch. If the TSL and the JVM are the 2 amps you have narrowed it down to then I would say JVM. To my ears the TSl is not as versitle as the DSL because most of the sounds are way to sizzly-fizzy and thin.

If you are considering a DSL the prices are very good right now...
                            ***** Thats what i was thinking...used 50 wt DSL can be had for
                            around $650.00 for the head. Great clean channel... pretty good red
                            channel. IMO..(which isnt worth much) I would skip the TSL, and get
                            a clean mint DSL.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazrim View Post
                              I have a JVM 410H full stack (2 x 1960 w/ G12 75's). Its the most versatile Marshall I'd say. Its has to be really. 4 channels with 3 modes in each. Nice clean channel, really nice crunch and over the top gain. The footswitch is programmable too and with two master volumes you can figure a solo boost etc... Its got pretty much all bases covered.
                              Probably be even better with an eq pedal and suppressor (its not too noisy even though its very loud) to get the best out of it. The higher gain can get fizzy but its still very good.

However, I pretty much use it as a power amp now for my BOSS GT-10 and I'm getting the best tones I've ever had. Absolutely crystal clear brutal tone. No tone suckage at all.

It probably sounds like sacrilege but, fuck it, it works. Really, really well.
                              I was going to get a JMP-1 set up but there's no need now. I have what I need.

But anyway, it sounds like you need the JVM410H.
                              **Right on! Just spend $420.00 on a GT-10 with ANY Amp! Agree my brutha....The best tone ive ever had is the GT-10 maxed out...thru
                              a VHT 2/90/2 into a VHT Fat bottom 4/12... Stunning!

Comment

Working...
                              X