Dimebag Squeals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimebag Squeals

Someone tell me - did he use a pedal to help him with those squeals? I've seen mention of flangers and stuff.
    I know, in theory, how to do it, but I have a hard time managing it, and certainly can't come close to doing it the way he did. Him and Joe Satriani can both do those crazy harmonic squeals and I'm wondering if there's an easy way to do it.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

I've wondered this too. I can get squeals, but nowhere near the output of Satch or Dimebag or Vai or Wylde.
    Scott

Comment

I think it might have to do with his Wah pedal either being open or shut helping the high pitched squeals. The Wah accents the tone of the pinch harmonic somehow.
      I don't own a Wah, but that's my guess on how he does it.
      I have read that Dime used several overdrive pedals run in a series at one point, so that might account for it in someway?

Maybe someone here has unlocked the magic and they could share?
      Last edited by metalchurch79; 09-30-2008, 01:55 PM.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

nah, it's all in the hands... just look at John Sykes
        effects just add a different color
        you just have to find the g-spot and have a pretty strong left hand
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

or right hand....
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven

Comment

yeah, for me it is just a technique. i plug straight into my amp and have NO trouble get killer squeals.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              nah, it's all in the hands... just look at John Sykes
              effects just add a different color
              you just have to find the g-spot and have a pretty strong left hand
              You do need a decently compressed tone, but other than that you're right.

I can do it but not consistently enough yet - 1/3 of the time I mess it up and get no sound at all!

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                or right hand....
                well, let's say fretting hand

that being said... a guitar and an amp makes some difference... with some guitars it's easy to do all kinds of harmonic-shit... with others it's harder... and some amps just bring out all the right overtones that really make the notes scream... cranking it helps too.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I think they're talking about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9InHBU30jM

Flick the G string with your left hand, depress the whammy bar down so the strings flop, place your finger over a harmonic on the fretboard, then pull up the whammy so the strings become taut. As the string is coming back up from the dive and getting tighter you catch the harmonic and pull it way up.

Comment

Dime's got some delay on his guitar, too, so it sounds huge. You'll hear it in the youtube clip.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                      You do need a decently compressed tone, but other than that you're right.

I can do it but not consistently enough yet - 1/3 of the time I mess it up and get no sound at all!
                      yeah, it's a common thing... sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss... with practice you start hitting more... but I think that's why George Lynch started holding his pick like he does... do get all the squeals every time

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                        well, let's say fretting hand

that being said... a guitar and an amp makes some difference... with some guitars it's easy to do all kinds of harmonic-shit... with others it's harder... and some amps just bring out all the right overtones that really make the notes scream... cranking it helps too.
                        Hahaha! yeah I hear ya!
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post

Flick the G string with your left hand, depress the whammy bar down so the strings flop, place your finger over a harmonic on the fretboard, then pull up the whammy so the strings become taut. As the string is coming back up from the dive and getting tighter you catch the harmonic and pull it way up.
                          I want sure if the OP meant this or not? I was assuming he meant straight up pinch harmonics.
                          'Howling in shadows
                          Living in a lunar spell
                          He finds his heaven

Comment

I've also found that playing the same guitar a lot helps to get the right spots into memory. It also is less expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post

yeah, that's EVH-school natural harmonics, I think Reb Beach gets the highest pitch doing those, there's a really sweet spot on the 3rd fret on the G string and then pulling the whammy bar up... insane!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X