• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic 30

Anyone ever owned a 1x12 Classic 30?

I'm wondering:

A - How loud can it get while clean before breaking up? It's 4x EL84's

B - How would it sound as an acoustic amp? (with the piezo pickup on my Parker)

The other similar amps I am looking at are all either 2x 6L6 or 2x EL34 but the Peavey is what I can find cheaper. If I have concerns A and B in mind, would I be better off just spending more on the 6L6 or EL34 based options? (Probably a Traynor YCV40 or 50)

It's actually quite loud for a 30 watt amp. It's not so clean for acoustic guitars though. Another problem with that model is the tubes rattle like no other amp I know, so you would hear the glass rattle for anything clean. I actually got so sick of the tube noise that I eventually chopped mine in half and turned it into a head!

If you had said you were looking for a decent tube amp for rock and blues, the Classic Peaveys are a great value. In this case, probably look elsewhere.

Comment

i have never been able to use an electric guitar tube amp for a decent piezo acoustic sound. i have a brian moore with the piezo/synth option. i have never found a guitar amp "hi-fi" enough for a stellar acoustic sound. a classic 30 would break up WAY too soon and have a VERY boxy sound with the piezos.

i bought a marshall AS50R and use that for my acoustic/synth sounds from the brian moore. even live it is awesome because it has an XLR out, effects loop and a 1/4" line out, so it works like a mini PA that feeds the main PA. plus it only cost $379.

that little marshal also works KILLER for a POD. i have gone to cover song "jam sessions" with the marshall, my POD, midi footswitch and a tele and have had a great time (and great tone). depends on the situation. i have used that wehn playing with "old" guys in low volume, electric drum situations.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Its a fantastic amp but the one I owned suffered from tube rattle too. There is actually a mod to correct it.

Comment

I had one for 9 years (only amp).
          Normally a Mesa MK II or MK III guy
          Nice amp

A) pretty loud, but tube warmth break-up comes on fairly soon
          B) pretty good, but you might want to look at a solid state amp for that
          Last edited by nhspike; 09-29-2008, 09:27 PM. Reason: attempting to answer the question instead of talking to myself again :D
          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
          X