X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Jsx vs EVH MkIII vs...JMP1

Hello guys

new user here.
    I have seen that this seems the right place to be!
    I have posted this thread in another forum, and then have discovered this site and wanted some more feedback.

I want a new head, which allows me to nail VH tones to a T (possibly all eras), but also dig Satriani's music and hard rock in general.
    I currently own a JMP1, but it is run through a GK series II 250ML, which gives me (obviously...) kinda crappy sound.

Many people here swear by the JSX and others by the 5150III (save for the obituary thread...).
    Horns666 said that the JSX is the way to go, but also that the JMP1 is God-sent for VH: I have listened to the VH clips and they are HUGE!

I would like an opinion considering I will play mostly at home, at bedroom levels.
    the JSX costs around 300$ less so I would be leaning towards this one.
    I would like to hear some clips from the JSX; the ones on youtube sound good but not as good as the clips by Horns666!

I am thinking to sell the JMP1 since I want something more versatile and kinda modern and also cause I am GAS affected!

Comments are welcome.
    Thanks and rock on.

I've heard from a bunch of people that the EVH heads blow up, so I'd stay away from them until they fix the bugs.

JSX gives you a very "Surfing with the Alien" tone. It's got gain, but it was a bit buzzy for my tastes.

I'd probably go with the original 5150 for a VH tone.
    Scott

Comment

Original block letter or signature model 5150

Comment

original 5150 isn't a very good amp for old school VH imo
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Wassup,

If you have the JMP-1..I strongly recommend that you plug into a good TUBE poweramp to hear what it really sounds like. Be it a Mesa, VHT, Peavey, Carvin, ect..I use a Marhall 9200 w 6L6 (5881). It does VH better than my Uberschall, even when I cut the gains, lows and everything. Its still way too "chunky"..like a 5150/Recto. That's not the CLASSIC VH tone! The JMP-1 does a GREAT job getting THAT tone with the right poweramp, cab, FX..and all.

I played the JSX and 5150III. Whenever test driving amps, all I ever do is throw a bunch of VH bullshit at them. The 5150III is much closer to the CLASSIC VH tone than the origianl 5150. BUT I think the JSX nails it better. Its really important to try these amps yourself, because the tone is in your hands. The 5150III are known for probs. JCF member Sean Raf went thru four of them, but he loved the tone to death.

:idea: :idea: :idea: Waite a minute!!! John G and I could be both right! PAGANS MIND guitarist Jorn Viggo Loftad uses a JMP-1 into a 5150 half stack! He uses the poweramp section which is 120watts of 6L6!!!

OK, Here is Jorn Viggo Loftad with Jorn Lande..he's obviously a huge VH fan himself, and amazing guitarist! Check it out!!!..you can see/hear what the JMP-1 w/ 6L6 sound like in the right hands..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc5Y-noIL5w
          Last edited by horns666; 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill's right, I love the EVH 5150 lll's tone to death; I've had 4, they're all dead.

They might be ok at bedroom levels, but you need a fire extinguisher and a counsellor of some sort close by.

IMO, the 5150/5150ll/6505/6505+ didn't sound VH (not what I was looking for), more 'metal' than anything else, which is why I'll probably have another one in the next few days.

Comment

the JSX is a much, much better amp for at home use than a 5150 or any "good" marshall.
              you can get a really good VH vide from the crunch channel.
              Just throw in some KT-77's and an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop and you'll have the ability to get a large range of tones out of the JSX, and one of
              the good things about the JSX is that it sounds great at very low volumes.
              When I practice at night and my little one is in bed , I always use my JSX, my recto sounds like garbage at "bedroom" volumes.

I don't have any VH clips (using the JSX) but I did do this one (using the crunch channel) using my SL2H soloist
              I did this at almost a bedroom level.
              http://www.netmusicians.org/index.ph...=id&value=1373

and this one as well (both really low volume levels.) with my Carvin 7 string
              http://www.netmusicians.org/index.ph...=id&value=1412

Plus I find the JSX really easy to record with.
              Last edited by kmanick; 09-26-2008, 09:21 AM.
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

OK, thank you all!

I will check those links out as I am able to connect to a fast line.
                Horns666: what you said is exactly what I was hoping for…that the JSX nails it better (and costs less!).
                It is the same thing I do when I try an amp: throw in some VH signature licks and riffs and see how the amp stands the test.
                When I get a chance to A/B them again, but longer than I did, I will check the “buzziness” Spivonious said.
                During the quick test I did, the 5153 sounded "my amp", then I plugged into the JSX and became confused...
                The fact is that at that time I knew nothing about this amp, its active EQ and all the deep discussions in the forums here, so I basically "finger-danced" on the knobs without really knowing what to do!

Now do you think that the JMP1 is more versatile than the JSX in terms of overall sonic textures?
                I ask this because I am in the mood of selling it to get the money and buy a head, ahaha

Well… I cannot afford neither a fire extinguisher nor a counsellor (= ”lawyer” I suppose in American English) at the moment and don’t need no stinking nervous breakdown, so it’s better to wait that Fender Engineering Dpt. works the problems out!
                Sorry you had these troubles anyway and glad you will get your new amp soon.

Kmanick, is it necessary to run a 10 band EQ? I mean, isn’t the amp already versatile enough on its own?

Thanks again to all, I really appreciate it very much!
                Your answers are a great help.

Rock on.

Comment

I forgot to add that I will have to run my rig through a Marshall 2x12" 1922 cabinet and plan on to buy some effects like a delay or a flanger.
                  My guitar is an Ibanez RG550 with a new airzone at the bridge; used to have PAF PRO. Better now.

Rock on!

Comment

the MXR 10 band EQ with KT-77's in for power tubes really opens up this amp.
                    I wouldn't even use this amp without the EQ in the loop. This amp really
                    comes alive when you set the treble/mids/bass up at 6 or above.

with the EQ in the loop you come cut back some of the upper mids and
                    boost some of the lower mids to really thicken up the tone of the amp and
                    shape the highs and low rally a lot more than with just the knobs on the
                    front of the amp.

I love mine but if I couldn't use an EQ in the loop , I'd sell it (yup that's
                    how much it helps). I've had mine for about a year and 1/2 and I've really
                    gotten to know and understand how this amps EQ works.
                    This amp loves the Recto cabs too.

Comment

Nicks clips sound really good..I like it!

Seicorde, Yes, sell the JMP-1 to put toward the JSX because you would have to buy a bunch of stuff to get where I'm at. That would cost more than the JSX. I've loved my Marshall since I bought it new 12 years ago. But I really do like the JSX..I went back to play it about 4 or 5 times at length. It covers alot of sonic ground, very vesatile, and easy to dial in. You'll get familair with it in no time. Actually, Like my Uber, I couldn't get the JSX sound "bad"..I actually tried with the utral channel with the gain dimed and the tone controls going every which way, and It remained very playable. That is NOT so with any 5150..those are fussy amps to dial in with many G spots. You can go from cool to flubby in a cunt hair. The JSX has more usuable gain than the 5150, and a tighter more focused low end...and the leads "sing" which was my biggest complaint of my FIVE 5150s. The 5150 has a really cool chug to them and they are built like a rock. They been a major workhorse for many metal bands since 1990..but Peavey made a more refined and flexable amp ..it took them 15 years but they did it. You won't go wrong with the JSX. I blew out an eruption that made the disgrunteled GC employees throw the horns..that's must say something! They encourage me when I go there..people seem to come by with much interest with the sound...even the young kids like it..its silly..but cool.

Nick has a good grip on the JSX..he's a great source with that amp. He kick ass with it!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hey a couple guys here just bought Marshall 9200s..they might be looking for a JMP-1.

Comment

thanks Bill
                          here's another clip I did a while back (need to get around to doing the whole song now that I know it) getting a little heavier on the Ultra Channel (gain is only on 5 with no boost)
                          Enemies of Reality
                          http://www.netmusicians.org/index.ph...=id&value=2204

Comment

Hi guys!
                            those clips kick ass!!!
                            Great technique and playing overall! It will take me years to get there.

The tone I like most is on the VH clips by Horns666, which I have downloaded and keep on listening anytime I can... no flattery here, they really get me goosebumps: Dance the night away has the same sound as early VH and I'm the one is huge!

Well I am in Italy... I would sell it even now, but I think there would be some logistic problems to deal with.
                            Anyway I am open; maybe someone wants to make a holiday trip here and see some of the beauties of this country.

I will take all this info in grat account as I am able to try it next.
                            Thanks again for the support!

Comment

Thanks Seicorde..You may want to hang onto the JMP-1 for recording . It was recorded direct..no poweramp, or speakers..just JMP-1

My family and I always wanted to visit to Italy. That's where both sides of my family is from. I'm half Calabrese and half Bruzzese, so I'm always told. My father's granparents were from a town called GambaBaso(sp) ..I could never find that on a map..Both families came here in the 20's. So, I'm Italian. I grew up in Cleveland little Italy at St Rocco..in fact, that's where I went to school. My house was right next to the school, between the convent and where the preists lived. I lived there my whole life, until I got married. So that may explain things about me!

My childhood..well, it was like the Godfather trilogy, Goodfellas, and all of The Saprano's series rolled into one...and then some. Even tho I never watched the Sapano's..Much like a cop doesn't watch cop shows.

I was a real troublemaker as a kid..imagine that!

Comment

Working...
                              X