If you're gonna try a Soldano......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're gonna try a Soldano......

you should be aware of where you are putting those EQ knobs. I've heard so many people complain that the Soldano amp they've tried is too trebly, ice picky, etc. Well, you can't just throw those EQ knobs around like on many amps,,,,at least on the SLO you can't. They are super touchy and sensitive, and if you want a nice amazing liquid gain full of warmth,,,try Eddie's settings from an old Guitar World mag with a photo of his SLO: OD channel gain around 7, bass=8, treble=4, mid=3, presence 0-5 depending on the guitar, and master volume to taste, but preferable up a bit. At least on an SLO,,,this will give that For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tone in spades. Check out Ed on youtube playing summer nights with his SLO........... So you see, you have to know how to set it up, and it is different from many amps where you put it all at 5 for eq and go from there.

Sure.
    Your right though about the sensitivity of the knobs.
    This is where most lose their patience with a Soldano and don't get it.
    Move the knobs slightly and you have changed the sound/tone alot.
    Got have patience dialing in a Soldano and when you do its sweet nothing like it imo. Great amps.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I agree. They are super sensitive. They also affect each other in a big way.

Comment

Is it an active eq? I know it took me a while to get used to that on my Genz Benz.
        Scott

Comment

The Uber's tone controls are the same way..they go from one extreme to another and very inactive with each other. It looks like such a simple layout...fuck no!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Do the settings change on you, when you move the head to another
            house? Or practice session? Sounds like it might make you crazy from
            just any movement at all?

Comment

Eds sound on Summer Nights is special for him playing it with his Steinberger... BTW extreme GAS for one of those!!!
              '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
              '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
              custom made Les Paul
              VOX Tonelab LE
              Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
              ADA MP1
              BBE 422A
              Lexicon MPX-G2
              ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
              Support Your Local 81

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                Do the settings change on you, when you move the head to another
                house? Or practice session? Sounds like it might make you crazy from
                just any movement at all?
                No.....I never change these settings, and they are the ultimate on this amp for what I want to sound like. The only thing I might alter is the presence, depending on the guitar, the volume I get to play at, and the place I'm playing in. In a guitar world mag like in '89/90,,,,it showed Ed's Soldano head and you could see the permanent marker notches for marking his settings.......and upon trying those, well It was immediately obvious that this sound was very similar to much of the overall tone of the For Unlawful Carnal knowledge album which was loaded with SLO.....and I'm obviously not claiming I'm even a pimple on Ed's @$$ in the guitar mojo department.....but you know what I mean. This is the sound and tone I've wanted since I was influenced by that album when I was 17.....and this is just the amp for me.
                Last edited by lynchfan6; 09-30-2008, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X