Marshall or 5150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall or 5150?

I know I'm wearing you all out with my amp swapping, but I'm down to two choices of manufacturer; Peavey and Marshall.

Which one would you go for and why? Which Marshall? Which 5150? Which cabinets for either?

I want a KSE type rhythm sound. I play mostly in standard tuning with drop D now and again.

I need an effects loop.

Cheers

Sean.

6505 (5150)..its what they used anywhoo. My bud had two Engl Powerballs, went on tour with them, came back and dumped them for two 5150s...he's much happier now. Until he got the Marshall KK in his store , he really liked it and wanted my opinion. I tried it, it was cool. But when I plugged into the JVM the difference was night and day..and re-thinked the whole thing and kept his 6505s..

I said it many times and I'll say it again the two amps that impressed me most in the last 10 years is the JVM..and the peavey JSX. 6505s sound cool, but a bit dead sounding for solos, and finicky to dial in.. The JSX has more usable gain, singing lead tone and better cleans, and easy to dial in. I think you'll grow tired of the 6505 faster than a JVM or JSX.

I like the JVM..its the best sounding Marshall head since the 2210..but just more of everything for modern tones. ..needs noise gate but thats with any high gain amp.

I had FIVE 5150's..HAD. With that said, I would HAVE a JVM or a JSX w/ 6L6s...Pete insisted 6L6s sound best in the JSX and I believe him...IF I didn't have my Uber and trusty Marshall rig. I would just try those THREE heads and the answer should be clear to you.

Both have effects loops that work well, and all my guitars are in drop D.

People will suggest the Randall RM100..I never tried one.

BTW why isn't a Splawn an option now?
    Last edited by horns666; 09-22-2008, 07:12 AM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Splawn. Ummm oh yeah. Man I think out of the two Companies both have put out a good product recently. I think I would head for the JVM myself but you could score a nice deal on an old 5150 and have penty of change for other gear so... I have had 3 5150's in the past and I liked them all for good reasons and also disliked them for others too. The 5150 is good for one or two really good tones and if that is what you need then there ya go.

I don't own the JVM and have only played through one for 10 minutes but I thought it was a great amp. I played through the 100w head with the 4 channels. Might be more than you need though... Best clean any marshall has ever had and I thonk the 3rd channel was really great too. The ultra Hi Gain was a bit over the top for my taste and got flubby quick. I suppose it would be good for some hot saturated leads though.

If I had unlimited funds I would get the JVM but mostly because I have done the 5150 thing more than a few times already...

You are going through a bunch of heads to find the right tone so I think you will eventually find what you are looking for. I did the same thing a few months ago and ended up with the Splawn.

Don't get frustrated. Let your ears tell you.
      Last edited by Firebird V; 09-22-2008, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Between those two, I think the 5150 will get you closer to KSE. But I'd try out a Krank Revolution, a Mesa Single Rectifier, and a B-52 AT100. You might be happier with one of those.
        Scott

Comment

Bill, the Splawn would be an option if the shop could get them in (6 weeks time). I'm in sort of a strange situation. I have £1799 ($3600) to spend in the shop. No cash refunds to spend elsewhere. I have to get an amp sorted in the next 2 weeks because after that I'm gigging without a break until Christmas.

I need something that'll accept my GT Pro in the loop without a problem.

I was playing through my 4104 yesterday, and the sound I wanted was almost there, just not quite enough gain, even with a stomp.

The 4104, as most of you already know is the 50 watt version of the 2203. Single channel, no loop, no reverb, no fizz. I'd forgotten what it was that I loved about the Marshall sound until I plugged in yesterday. This particular amp affects your bones and slams you in the chest each time you hit a chord.

Comment

of the 2 listed...I'd go with the Marshall JVM and a 4x12 1960A cab Celestion G12-75's.

So you didnt like the Engl either?
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

OK dude..give the 5150 a try it is tried and true workhorse, but I insist on matching cab. It sounds better than any of the MANY celestion cabs I've tried with it. Cleveland Metal witnessed this and heard it for himself after years of fuggin' with them.

But I really think you will like the Marshall JVM..that would kill with a standard Marshall 1960 cab..I'd go slant cab for half stack. They disperse the sound in a wider range..and up towards you which is important.

Of the two amp choices given. Since you really like the sound of the 4104..The JVM should be a no brainer..you can't lose. The gain structure is very smooth and responsive. It has All the low end and gobs of usuable gain..and most importantly..it sounds and looks like a Marshall..which is classic!

Effects loop, great clean and vintage channels..perfect!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                of the 2 listed...I'd go with the Marshall JVM and a 4x12 1960A cab Celestion G12-75's.

So you didnt like the Engl either?

No, the Engl wasn't for me. They're excellent amps, excellent build quality etc, but the gain sounded too 'dry' (?) for my tastes.

It wasn't that long ago that I had a 5150, the lead sound is an issue. Still love 'em, though I wouldn't be too keen on owning one again at present (I still have a 5150 slant cab).

So, I think it's going to be the JVM with the 1960AV cab (V30's).

Comment

Dude, Go with the JVM and Marshall1960A slant cab w/ G12 75 celstions. That has been the standard Marshall cab since the dawn of the 900 series. YOU WILL be HAPPY!!

I KNOW you'll be happy!

I may eventually buy one myself, and I've been extremely content with my amps and tone.

Comment

Your dry gain comment makes me think you'll like the Peavey JSX.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post

So, I think it's going to be the JVM with the 1960AV cab (V30's).

don't get the vin 30's. get the G75-T's

and for Fukks sake Sean, get the Splawn. you won't regret it.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I'll say this once more
                        Forget Peavey and Marshall, play the ENGL Blackmore (preferably with straight standard ENGL cab to go) and you'll never look back. Seriously. And then save up your $$$ for a Bogner or a Diezel. (KsE guys uses a Mesa and VH4 IIRC)

Comment

just buy a Laney instead of a Marshall.... they sound better and are cheaper!

Comment

Originally posted by elysianfield View Post
                            just buy a Laney instead of a Marshall.... they sound better and are cheaper!

Laney, Is that your opinion..because it certainly isn't mine.

I agree with DR about the 75..get those, I don't like Vin 30s..just get the JVM. Be advised ..You'll need a noise gate...but most high gain amps do.

The Splawn has my interest..so does the JVM..and I like the JSX. I always grew tired of 5150s to be honest. Shit, I bought the very first one in the cleveland area in '90..

Comment

What's wrong with the V30's? I thought that they were the ultimate speaker. To be honest, I've never heard a Marshall head through a V30 loaded cab, but from my experience of running 5150's and Dual Rec's through G12-75's, getting a V30 loaded cab was a breath of fresh air to those amps.

I'll be buying a Splawn next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X