Soldano Avenger, heavily modified...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano Avenger, heavily modified...

Well I tried the Soldano (a full 48 hours ownership), used it at band rehearsal last night. After one song, the band asked me to turn it off as it was hurting their ears. Not because it was too loud (though I have to say that 50 watts felt no different to 120 watts), but because no matter how I tried to dial it in, it was too coarse and brittle. I turned up at the rehearsal an hour early so that I could try out the pages and pages of sample settings I'd downloaded from every forum I could find. Nothing worked.

The best way I could describe it is to say it sounded like a very brash/tinny 800 series. The lead sound was amazing, cuts through without effort. Chords, I found, were best avoided. All the rhythm was a boomy, muddied mess. I also tried my old 800 series settings, 5150 settings, and my sadly missed EVH's settings. Nothing worked.

So, I got up really early this morning, after an almost sleepless night, and decide to undertake some extreme modifications to the Soldano to try and get the sound I want.

Bear in mind that what you see in the picture underneath are the decisions and actions of someone who is exhausted by lack of sleep and whose patience has reached its end...

That's some modification!
    Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

I'm happier with the result so far; it has yet to leave the house. Got a gig tomorrow night (Saturday), so I'm busy reading every single post and thread on every forum I can find to do with Powerball's.

Again, much like the Invader I had, this sounds great in the house...

If this Powerball doesn't work out, I'm giving up and ordering a JVM410H on Monday.

Comment

Wow,,,sorry to hear the avenger didn't work out. I've never played one, so I can't comment, but it was surprising to hear that it wasn't very good. Both soldanos I've had (HR50+ and now the SLO) ,,,,,,,,never had those results. That avenger must be a whole different animal. No SLO100 for sure!! Good luck with the ENGL......I feel your pain. When you are stuck in transition, it can be very stressful until you get it resolved.

Comment

Your getting into "HippieTim" territory now... what have you spent on
          amps this year? $18K?? Hope it works out for you !

Comment

Thats the difference between the Avenger and the SLO. Also.. speaker selection is mucho critical when using an SLO.

Comment

I love my Powerball. I play through a Diezel 4x12. I'd be happy to share some settings with you. I usually run an MXR 10-band in the loop to boost some of the mid frequency's because I think the "open" mid mode is a bit too scooped, but the "focused" mode just sounds too honky. My best sounds come from the open mode of the third channel. Bass runs at about 12 o' clock, mids usually about 1 to 2 o'clock, treble I usually back off as the volume increases, depth and presence to taste depending on venue. I don't ever get past 1 o' clock on the gain, usually less than that if I'm playing an emg equipped guitar. My main guitar is an SL2H with stock pickups and these settings work out really well for me. Any questions on settings or anything feel free to let me know. I've had my Powerball for going on 5 or 6 years and have been very satisfied.

Comment

Wow, that's a surprise...!

I really wish this works out for you this time, after so much bad luck and sleepness nights... I kinda know that feeling, luckily the Invader solved it for me.

One tip:
                If you find a rhythm setting you really like but can't get a satisfying lead sound, try using a GT-Pro preamp for the leads and bypass the Powerball pre.
                Both my buddy (ENGL Blackmore with Boss GT-10) and me (Invader with Boss GT-10) do that.
                I never was a fan of digital preamps but when I got the Invader last week I didn't have a footswitch or midi cable for channel switching, and I found the Invader channel 3 to be awesome for rhythm but useless for leads.

I programmed a patch with the GT-10 "Boss Drive" preamp and now I'm not sure I'll ever even try to get the channel switching to work... the lead sound I got cuts so well and gets harmonics with ease, I'm really happy with it.

Good luck!
                http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  Thats the difference between the Avenger and the SLO. Also.. speaker selection is mucho critical when using an SLO.
                  I agree.......putting EMinence GB12's and V12's in my Marshall cab in place of the Celestion G12T75's was an eye opener. I mean, I still loved my SLO throught the celestions,,but I had no idea it could sound even better.

Comment

I'm willing to bet it was Soldano cab that caused what you didnt like about it

I hope the Engl works out for you...
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                      I'm willing to bet it was Soldano cab that caused what you didnt like about it

I hope the Engl works out for you...
                      I use a Mesa Traditional 4x12 with mine (V30"s) and also a Recto 2x12 (V30's). The amp is bright, but definitely not "tinny" and thin.

Too bad the amp didn't work out for ya, hopefully this one will do the trick.

Comment

I found the SLO I had also had a sizzley high end that i could not dial out. I tried a ton of cabs with it and the one that worked the best for me was a Marshall cab loaded with 25 watt greenbacks. What didn't you like about the Invader? I found the Invader cut through in a band situation much better than the Powerball.

Comment

The Invader sounded too processed to my ears, it definately cut through, though at the time I wanted it to be a little more introverted.

I'm trying out the Powerball in a couple of hours, though I'm taking along a 5150 just in case.

Comment

That is an Amazing transformation. Your tech should be proud.
                            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Wow, you did all that with duct tape and Krylon, huh? Good job. lol
                              |My CSG gallery|
                              (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Working...
                              X