Which Marshall JVM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Marshall JVM?

It's gotten to the point where it's simply silly for me to drag along a head + 4x12 cab, we just play small venues and finding enough real estate on stage for a full rig is nowadays like getting a 3br apt in Hong Kong - i.e. impossible.

Volume-wise it is the same situation, where we play I simply can't crank a 100W to "coolness level", as Bill Z. would say.

Plus, I honestly don't care about the visual appeal of a full or half stack, I am not a bedroom player (music-wise at least...), I am a gigging musician who needs a variety of tones, from sparkly clean to very high gain, and I need a usable amp to cover all grounds.

So, with a 410H head in mind as a reference tone, I am thinking of getting a Marshall JVM combo, and I have these choices:

- 410C, 4 channels and 2357 modes, 100W, 2 speakers

- 210C, 2 channels and 6 modes, 100W, 2 speakers

- 205C, as above, 50W

- 215C, as above, 1 speaker

I am kind of more inclined towards the 215C, it seems compact, it has enough versatility, and if the channels are taken from the JVM head it should sound great.

Plus, the fact that it has only 1 speaker means that, if I ever need to mike the amp, there is only 1 speaker to choose, whereas the other combos have two different speakers (vintage and "modern"), so which speaker should I mic?

Also, I would not choose one of the more "boutique" alternatives (Soldano, Engl etc.) simply because of overall reliability vs replaceability.
    Yes, Marshall does have QC issues at times, but at least if my Marshall fails I can go into any GC and get a new one, and then return it after the gig.

So, what do you recommend?

well i say go play all of them and see which one fits you better. you already have an idea of which one you want so go try that one first.

Comment

I have played on all of them & my opinion is the 410C, I guess that is a big advantage for working in sales you get to try tons of gear. The only thing I don't like about the new JVM stuff is it is ultra high gain & with this you get some noise ,so with that said, if you use a lot of gain be set to by a hush pedal or unit to run along with the amp. As long as you don't saturate the amp with high gain levels it sounds great & is quiet. Great Amps!!!

Comment

i agree.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Definitely get more than one speaker. If you're used to a 4x12, going to a 1x12 is going to be quite shocking.

Do you think you'd use four channels? If so, then get the 410C. Otherwise, 50W is plenty, so get the 205C.

I haven't played any of them; this is just the logic I would go through.
          Scott

Comment

50 watts is more than enough power, but go with 2x12.

Comment

I would get the 1x12 and, if you need to move more air, an extension cabinet (either another 1x12 or a 2x12 and stack it vertically - same small stage footprint).

Comment

Getting a separate head and cab would provide a lighter load to carry than having it all in one box (combo).

Comment

^ good point. My combo is just a 1x12 and it weighs over 60 pounds. I had a 2x12 Road King combo and it was over 110 pounds.
                  Scott

Comment

I always get the head because you have so many options with cabs but that is me I guess. I have done the combo 2 x 12 thing in the past many times an love the fact that it is all in one box but always regret the speaker choice, lugging it around because it is heavy etc.

Heads always hold there resale better and are easier to sell in general too...

Comment

Thank you everyone for your tips!

I did a bit of testing over the weekend, and found out that invariably ALL the 410C's I've tried (5 of them, in 3 different stores) were tonally good, but INCREDIBLY noisy on most settings (not just OD2 mode red...).

Yes, there were other amps in the room, plenty of neon lights and probably most AC outlets weren't regulated, nevertheless the places I gig at aren't any better in terms of AC environment, so I wasn't happy with it.

I've used (but did not own) a 410H in the past, which was noisy just on the highest gain modes (OD1 and 2 on mode red), so could this be due to the fact that the combo has a different circuit layout? Or perhaps proximity of the speakers? Dunno, just guessing...

The 215C instead was a surprise: it sounds great and is versatile enough for my needs, it appears that it lacks only the highest gain mode OD2 (which I understand is just a tweaked mode OD1 with scooped mids and perhaps a bit more gain), and for some reason was less noisy than any of the others.

Yes, the single speaker doesn't move any air and I do miss that low frequency thump when you hit tight rhythm parts, but it is perfectly usable in any live context, and if I really need to, I can still hook it to a 4x12 (I am not planning on selling my rig yet).

So I'll let it all brew this week, and if come end of the month I'm still thinking the 215C is the right choice I'll buy it!!!

Comment

Which JVM..the big one..at least a half stack!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post

I did a bit of testing over the weekend, and found out that invariably ALL the 410C's I've tried (5 of them, in 3 different stores) were tonally good, but INCREDIBLY noisy on most settings (not just OD2 mode red...).

Yes, there were other amps in the room, plenty of neon lights and probably most AC outlets weren't regulated, nevertheless the places I gig at aren't any better in terms of AC environment, so I wasn't happy with it.

I've used (but did not own) a 410H in the past, which was noisy just on the highest gain modes (OD1 and 2 on mode red), so could this be due to the fact that the combo has a different circuit layout? Or perhaps proximity of the speakers? Dunno, just guessing...

The 215C instead was a surprise: it sounds great and is versatile enough for my needs, it appears that it lacks only the highest gain mode OD2 (which I understand is just a tweaked mode OD1 with scooped mids and perhaps a bit more gain), and for some reason was less noisy than any of the others.
                          If you use a Rocktron Hush pedal...it will take care of the noise problem. I run mine through the FX loop & I don't have that noise problem. Also if you use any other pedals run the Rocktron hush last in line & adjust the Threshold & presto no more noise. No other noise reduction pedal I have tried has worked as well as the Hush pedal. Good luck! Any Marshall is good as long as it is a tube amp in my book.

Comment

My Uber is noisy too..but not with the noise gate in my G Major..its whisper quiet!!!

There's going to be alot of noise in a high gain amp. They should include the noise gate they installed in the KK Marshall...that works great!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                            X