Mesa Stiletto Deuce head Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Stiletto Deuce head Questions

What about this Mesa Stiletto Deuce head. I have been reading up on it. Sounds pretty versatile. I do play rock as well I do not limit myself to just Metal.

Dogue

It's essentially Mesa Boogie's take on a Marshall. Great for rock as well as the metal.
    Scott

Comment

yeah. its a great head. sounds as close to marshall style as mesa can get.
      i had one for a while and then traded it for a marshall.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Well , I played one and it still seems a bit "buzzy" to me. But I got a long with it much better than I do with rectos. meaning I could work with it..after minutes of tryin' it. So, that's a good thing.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i tought it sounded best with the gain dialed down in vitage mode with an overdrive pedal. that's when i realized that best way to get that pushed marshall sound was to get a marshall and push it.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

DR do you prefer them over a good Marshall. I would think that for your style w/ Widow..Marshalls are perfect for ya.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I think if you are looking for a Marshall sound get a Marshall, but if you want an EL34 Mesa the Stiletto Deuce kicks ass. I like it better than a Duel Recto with EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                Well , I played one and it still seems a bit "buzzy" to me. But I got a long with it much better than I do with rectos. meaning I could work with it..after minutes of tryin' it. So, that's a good thing.

+1 I agree with Bill.

Comment

Nothing beats a good Mesa. By that I don't mean Recto's unless you're talking a single. Those triple things are just over the top with nothing new and compelling. The Stilleto OTOH, has tone! I've had both and in comparison, the Mesa will always beat the Marshal in terms of build quality and support. The Marshall still owns the vintage EL-34 sound, but I've just never cared for the clean sound of any Marshall amp. My JCM 800 head does what it was meant to do very well, but if you want to play anything else, you have to lug something else onstage with it.

In the end, it's all about your ears and what they tell you regarding the sound; don't listen to just one dimension and compromise: Go for the overall best choice!
                  There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                    I think if you are looking for a Marshall sound get a Marshall, but if you want an EL34 Mesa the Stiletto Deuce kicks ass. I like it better than a Duel Recto with EL34s.
                    +1

Or get a Road King and get the best of both worlds! :P
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Joelski View Post
                      Nothing beats a good Mesa. By that I don't mean Recto's unless you're talking a single. Those triple things are just over the top with nothing new and compelling. The Stilleto OTOH, has tone! I've had both and in comparison, the Mesa will always beat the Marshal in terms of build quality and support. The Marshall still owns the vintage EL-34 sound, but I've just never cared for the clean sound of any Marshall amp. My JCM 800 head does what it was meant to do very well, but if you want to play anything else, you have to lug something else onstage with it.

In the end, it's all about your ears and what they tell you regarding the sound; don't listen to just one dimension and compromise: Go for the overall best choice!
                      I thought the new Randy Rhoads head had nice cleans by rolling the volume back. Granted its all a matter of individual preference but I thought it was quite good.
                      As far as the Mesa in question, my friend has a Stilleto Trident which is of course the big brother to the Deuce and I thought it sounded nice however it doesn't have quite enough gain. There is a mod available for them to address this issue and my friend who is a tech and authorized Mesa service center got the parts from Mesa and modded his. It became muddier and so he reversed the mod back to stock. It sounded much better slamming it with a pedal.
                      Last edited by roodyrocker; 09-16-2008, 09:09 PM.
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

The clean channel on my JCM900 MKII 50w head is incredible. I constantly get compliments on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                          i had one for a while and then traded it for a marshall.
                          end of thread...lol
                          I love Mesa amps but for the Boogie tone, not Marshall based
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I think I am going to take the Mesa head. If I do not bond with it I can always flip it. My friend played Mesa for years and has recently just switched to a Marshall JCM900 but highly recomends the Mesa Heads. I am getting the amp in on a trade so we will see how it works out. Sounds like it is a good Amp Head from what I have read.

Dogue

Comment

Working...
                            X