EVH 5150 lll...An Obituary.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH 5150 lll...An Obituary.

After owning 4 of these, the time has come to lay them all to rest. I was, up until last Saturday night, leaving the house with two of these to every gig that I played. Well on Saturday night, they both lost their will to live, and I had to finish the set limping home on half power.

I now have a choice;

Triple Recto and a Soldano 2x12

Splawn Nitro and a Peavey 5150 4x12

Any Marshall of my choice

Engl Powerball.

Thoughts please...

But at least the last one didn't catch on fire, right?

I've played a Recto and JCM900 and neither really sounds like a 5150. Haven't played the Splawn or ENGL.
    Scott

Comment

I have played all of those. I am a Mesa guy, so I would go with the triplerec. However, if you like the high gain marshall sound the Splawn is awesome. I hated, hated, hated the Powerball once I got used to it. It was a fun sound to play at first but it got old fast. Very scooped and very compressed, but very tight.
      ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I'm surprised you are even considering the Powerball, since you didn't like your Invader 150. Out of those two I think the Invader sounds alot better, less compressed, less fizz.

I actually finally bought an Invader 100 last week, as it does the ENGL sound much better than my old Fireball and I just love that sound, I can't help it. But from your previous experience you should give those other amps the priority to check out.
        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Diamond still out of your league money wise or is that all they've offered you in terms of replacements?
          Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

What Marshall?

The Splawn sounds cool
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The ENGL is a no go; it's true, I hated the Invader. The Marshall offered is probably going to be a JVM. Diamond are still out of my price range.

It's going to be a choice between the Splawn Nitro and the Triple Rec/Soldano 2x12.

If I choose the Splawn, I lose a cab...

Comment

Sean ..if you have the chance for a Splawn I'd really consider it. I I never played one myself but loved every clip I ever heard of them..and I trust some very credible people here that own/owned them. Shawan/HippieTim ..You can always pick up a used Marshall cab to get going. Cabs are plenty Splawns are not.

I liked the sound if the JVM. They are the best sounding Marshall head I've heard since the 800 2210s..but heavier and more versatile. Many talk of build qualities. John C (Beyond Fear, Ringworm) is our local CG manger. He told me he got tons of TSL/DSL returns..but only 2 JVM's came back for minor problems that were resolved without any further issue..which is good to hear, especially for you. I'm not a versatile player..I go straight for the high gain channel and have a blast playing it. My only complaint is that they require a noise gate, just like my Uber and most high gain amps. They should include the built-in NG like they did with the KK model which to has less gain and girth of the JVM. John C was hellbent on getting the KK, and encouraged me to try it. I did and it sounded pretty cool, but it brought to mind a chunkier 2203 with a Tube Screamer, or maybe a 2210 with a bit more gain. When I plugged into the JVM..I quickly dialed in a similair tone as the KK but just more ass kickin' all around. It made John re-tyhink at that time..I don't know what he went with. But he did a major tour with two Engl Powerballs when they opened for Jon Oliva, and played alot of amps during that tour such as Framus, Uberschalls, and Deizel. That's when he came over to play my Uber a could times and loved it. But he had just bought a home at the time and didn't afford the break Bogner gave him at a discount for $1500 X 2. So he got a deal thru his store for two 6505(5150) which he like much more than his Engls..and he uses a BBE in the loop. I dunno where he got that idea..

Honestly I loved the five 5150's that I've owned but like the JSX better. They have the gain , the chuck but their solos seem to sing" more and they are more versatile..and most importanly for me, they are not as fussy to dial in like the 5150 or a recto. You can dime the gain if you wishe and not flub out like Rectos and 5150s do just over 50%...with those amps there is a fine line between cool and flub. I like a flub free amp..but that's just me.

Try 'em again..turn 'em up..I'd prolly go with the splawn . I would know if I like it prolly within a minute or so. That's how long it took me to like the JVM or any amp I ever liked.

Good luck..let us know!!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill, I've heard amazing clips of the Splawn too, trouble is, I've heard amazing clips of the ENGL but mine sounded like a bag of shite. If I opt for the Triple Rec and Soldano 2x12, I could have them by the end of the week. If I choose the Splawn, I'll have to wait a few weeks until it's shipped over from the US.

I have a Peavey 5150 stock cab to put the Splawn through.

Comment

What about a Soldano Avenger? I have one and I have to say, it is the best amp I've ever played (I have a Boogie Roadster at the moment as well). It has a great feel to it when you're playing and has a very full sound. Lotsa harmonics in the tone too... sounds really complex. I love it. You have to crank it past 3 at least to get things going and it is LOUD. I haven't played live in about a year but I used it on the last three gigs and it sounded great.

The only downfall is that it is a single channel amp and doesn't have an effects loop. If you need something versatile it won't do the job unless you're willing to bring a multi amp setup.

Comment

Speaking of Boogies, I like them alot (I've had a single, dual, and Roadster), but they can sound a bit dry or harsh at times. The tone doesn't have the depth I would prefer, and you have to turn the mids/presence up a bit to cut making the amp respond it a very stiff way to your pick. They also don't "sing" like some amps do. You gotta really work for it. You can turn the gain up, but that does tend to mush things up and reduces clarity a bit. I run mine with the gain about half and use a boost for heavier stuff. Also, even though they have an effects loop, the parallel loop can be a bit fussy. That was one of the reasons I got rid of my dual (the Roadster has a series loop).

I do like Rectos, but they are not without their faults. I think the best sounding one I had was the single, but I had the bias modded on it. I'm considering doing the same to my Roadster.

Comment

I would go with a standard 5150. Either signature or block letter model. They are bullet proof and sound great. So does the 5150II. I have one. Its indestructable and sounds incredible.

Also.. you can't go wrong with a Dual Recitifier. They are just killer in every respect.

Comment

Randall RM100 for the win!

Comment

I've never played a Splawn, but I like my Powerball more than any Mesa, Peavey, or Marshall I've ever played or owned. Although, I did try the JVM and was very impressed. First Marshall I've played that seems to get heavy enough without any sort of boost pedal. My vote goes for the ENGL...I wasn't a fan of the Invader. I like the Powerball, but with a lower gain 5751 tube in the V1 spot. Definitely makes it more organic sounding and still has plenty of gain.

Comment

Working...
                            X