Solid state vs tube power amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid state vs tube power amp?

So the much anticipated rack is slowly being built and while I am pretty set on the FX unit and pre-amp, I an unsure of the power amp at this point. I know that all tube ala Mesa 20/20 will probably sound killer (and cost a fortune too!) but what about those solid state ones like the ADA. Rocktron and Marshall units?

Any good? Are any tube sounding without the cost and hassles?

Well, I would consider the overall sound above expense but you can get tube power amps pretty cheap now. Maybe an older 9200 or something...maybe a Peavey classic.

For my money, if you are using digital pre amps you HAVE to use a tube power amp to give you some organic tone.
    I mean, obviously you dont have to but I would advise it. Especially if you play live. The tubes will cut through more.

I ran my GT10 through a Digital and then a tube power amp and the difference is night and day.
    Last edited by Mazrim; 09-15-2008, 06:19 AM.
    All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Tubes are definitely different than solid-state. Whether it's better or not is up to your ears.

But personally I'd go with tubes.
      Scott

Comment

yeah tube amps are getting cheaper, especially used.

Comment

I have been using the Mesa 20/20 for years and I love it. I ended up in a situation one time where I had to plug into a Mono cab. I thought I was in trouble, but just one side of the unit (20 watts) was plenty loud enough for stage volume. The tubes mount right in the back of the unit so you can have something right on top of it without the worry of it overheating. It's a bit pricey, but I am glad I got it.

Matt

Comment

You could try to find an ADA MicroTube power amp, which is essentially a solid state amp with 12AX7 preamp tubes to warm it up a bit. Unfortunately, they have a reputation for being unreliable, so buying online without some sort of return policy would be risky. Marshall made a Valvestate power amp which might be an option.

Personally, I use Peavey Classic and Carvin T100 power amps. They are a lot less money than a Mesa, Marshall or VHT, although the Peaveys are discontinued. The newer Carvin TS100 can switch between 6L6 and EL34 tubes, is still in production, and I believe is only $600.
            sigpic

Comment

Plenty of Valvestate 80/80 poweramps around. They're O.K. for what they are.

Comment

"Plenty of Valvestate 80/80 poweramps around. They're O.K. for what they are"

I had one ages ago with my JMP1 and it was pretty good but I suspect that an all tube one would just be that much better no?

Comment

Originally posted by Mazrim View Post
                  Plenty of Valvestate 80/80 poweramps around. They're O.K. for what they are.
                  Until you need to really crank 'em. My bud ran a JMP-1 with a Peavey 120/120 it was fuggin' beatiful. Then he got a 80/80 and it sounded likes a small distorted transistor radio..When I could hear it. I had to rely on the drummer and vocals..because he was completely out of the mix. I REFUSED any more gigs like that because in a VH trib band..ya kinda need to hear the guitar.

TUBES!
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

If you are gonna jam at home it doesn't matter... SS is fine.
                    If you are going to play live with a band get a good tube power amp.
                    The Carvin T100 or TS100 is great. So is the Mesa, the Marshall and the VHT.
                    Peavey makes one heck of a powerful poweramp too.

Comment

Yeah, you can get away with SS at home but even at low volumes you'll notice how much better tubes are.

I'm not using a dedicated power amp as such at the moment, I'm using my JVM as a poweramp and running a Boss GT10 through it and its pretty much the best sound Ive ever had in nearly 20 years of playing. Astounding.

The GT10 is quite organic sounding for a processor and then you add the tubes from the JVM in and it gives it that glassy punchy edge to the sound.
                      Like the tube head I always wanted.

It seems a bit of a waste of a 4 channel amp just to use it as a power amp but fuck it. If the shoe fits...
                      Besides, I can get better tones out of this thing than any of the 4 (x3 Modes) channels and pretty good matches to them if I wanted to (after some tweaking).

Anyway, I agree with Horns.
                      TUBES!!!!

Comment

Me and my co guitarist have the same pre amps...I use 120 watts of TUBE power...He uses 160 watts SS (Mosvalve) and he needs to pin his to keep up with me a jam...I still have a ton of volume left...Never come close to cranking it...
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I ran a Behringer A500 power amp (solid state - 500W bridged mono) with my band for awhile and it was plenty loud through a 2x12 cab. I never turned it up past half way - and that is an amp where the volume dial responds in a much more linear fashion than most tube amps. I did have to use different preamp settings to sound good at band volume, but you will do that with almost any rig.

You don't need tubes to sound good, but if you use SS make sure you have at least ~250W of power.

That being said, I have ditched my rack and am going to a 50W tube amp for simplicity...

Comment

I have a Crate Power amp and a Carvin TS100. The Carvin is light years ahead of the crate when it comes to sound but the crate is a nice little backup in case the carvin dies. Both hold really well at band levels when our 300 lb drummer is beating the shit out of his poor drums.

The carvin is incredibly versatile. Its switchable between 6L6 and EL34. got its own bias pots too. Its not too heavy and looks killer. best of all, I got it used on the bay for $350 after shipping. Its been a year since I got it and its holding pretty well so far.
                            Sam

Comment

i used the rivera hammer 120 for a few years to power extra cabs. prior to that i used the marshall 80/80. there was NO comparison. the all tube rivera DESTROYED the valvestate power amp. save up and get a tube power amp. you will be happier in the long run, ESPECIALLY if you gig (or intend to). if you just jam at home, a SS amp would be fine.
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X