JCF-01 Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCF-01 Rhoads

I have a question regarding the JCF-01 Rhoads. I've heard that the pickups were put in backwards, is this true?

-So, the guitar has a white/black pickup in the neck and black/white in the bridge, do the "black coils" have the height adjustment screws? It seems odd because the "black coils" are on the inside where the "white" is on the outside.

-Also, can someone tell me a few issues they've had with the guitar? Such as hardware pitting, top heavyness, fat neck....
    sigpic

Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I know what they look like .

I just need to know if the pickups are in backwards in that picture?
      sigpic

Comment

The neck is really thick. It balances well and plays real nice. I'd have to dig it out to check the pickup screws for you though.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

If I remember correctly, they are in backwards because I talked to Sully about it when I got mine and thought it was odd.
          Scott

Comment

they're regular pickups installed backwards, and technically, the wrong color.
            since the coils were originally the wrong combination, jackson turned them around.
            we should have ordered black/creme, but the idea was that they may have originally been black and white, but the white aged to creme. nah.

the neck is thick. like a les paul, which is really how the very early rhoads models were. tim wilson had rhoads #48 and that was to be used as a reference point.

from what i remember, they are neck heavy, but they sound incredible.

as far as other issues; there were plenty. mine (jcf-01-12) and a few others were sent back to jackson. mine had file marks all over the fretboard, holes that didn't line up with the v plate, and clear coat issues from what i remember (drips from the V points, among other things). the clear coat drips from the points were pretty common in that run.

hope that helps,
            sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by randyrhoadsguitar View Post
              So, the guitar has a white/black pickup in the neck and black/white in the bridge, do the "black coils" have the height adjustment screws?
              Yes, the black coils have the pole piece adjustment screws.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks Stuka, Sully, and toejam that helped.

If I were to switch the pickups out, what would you recommend? I'd like them to be black/creme like the originals. (Were Randy's pickups sh-6 distortion and sh-2 Jazz???)

Do you think that overall, it's a good guitar? I don't mind the paint issue, but I don't want it to break down, then have to pay for extra work on it.
                sigpic

Comment

Yes, Rhoads used the Distortion/Jazz set, you are right.
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven
                  Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Kinda strange how they do the RR1 with the JB/Jazz when Randy didn't use the JB, and the Distortion is a better pickup anyway.

Comment

Haha, that is funny, I never realized that! Was the JB even out in 1980-82?
                      'Howling in shadows
                      Living in a lunar spell
                      He finds his heaven
                      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I believe Seymour formed his company in '78, but he was making pickups in the '60s. Jeff Beck was one of his earliest customers who had the most input on helping Seymour voice his pickups, hence the JB pickup.

Comment

So to get the Randy tone, i should get a SH-6 and a SH-2?
                          sigpic

Comment

Well, now that I think about it, what songs did he record with the Duncans? I know he also used DiMarzio Super Distortions and an MXR distortion pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Well, now that I think about it, what songs did he record with the Duncans? I know he also used DiMarzio Super Distortions and an MXR distortion pedal.
                              The dimarzio's were in his Polka Dot V. I need to know if the specific name was a SH-6 in the bridge and SH-2 in the neck on his Pinstripe v and PCS.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X