Suggest a new tube preamp for my rig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest a new tube preamp for my rig?

Please suggest a new tube preamp for my rig?

I have owned the Marshall JMP1 as well as the ADA MP1. I even recall owning that tube Jackson preamp. The Marshall was the best of the bunch but maybe there is something new or different out there that I should be aware of.

As cool and fun as my Line 6 Spider II is, I really miss that "sag" and response of an all tube preamp and power amp as well for that matter.

So it's time to throw together a small rack that I can play around with....

Suggestions?

I had an ADA MP-2 and I really liked that, I regret selling it too. If you liked your MP-1 you'll like the MP-2 also. The '2 has a nice clean, and has more gain than a stock MP-1. There's more mods for the '1 though, so it might be a better starting point if you intend to get into hot rodding it?
    http://www.adadepot.com/adagear/subgear/pre-amps.htm

I now have an Engl 620 tube preamp, which is an old ancient looking thing, but I love it so much. I can't find any info on it though, and I've never seen another one either.
    The new Engl E530 sucks ass in my opinion, there just isnt enough gain for me. The Engl SE Preamp is amazing, but expensive.

Mesa's V-Twin Preamp is decent also, and the Mesa Triaxis is nice, but expensive, and obsolete. They're goin for about a grand on the 'bay.

PSA Sansamps are nice, my buddy has one of those, and it rocks for 80's metal.
    Soldano makes nice stuff too, I think one of their tube preamps is called an S100,or SLO 100. One version is Silver and one is Purple. Not sure if one is superior than the other, or it's just a way of seperating the different generations of them? Maybe someone here knows for sure?

Definitely shop around and check things out first, but I'm sure that you'll find something that you'll like.

Been using tube preamps as opposed to solidstates, cause I prefer them w/ Tube Poweramps.
    Good Luck Bro!
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I really LOVE my JMP-1..but the poweramp, fx unit and ect. is so crucial to get the right sound...as is any preamp.

I'm addicted to the Marshall tone, so I always have that. I have the Uber for the really heavy duties. But I'm really diggin' my Marshall more these days. Like the Spider II, its more "fun" and responsive to my playing.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Mesa Triaxis it has a nice range of mesa tones, like Mark IIC+, IV, and Recto among others.

Comment

I had an ADA MP1 going into a Peavey classic 50/50 and loved the tone....until I got a JMP-1, the Marshall with the Peavey absolutely rocks.
          www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Originally posted by Speiro View Post
            I had an ADA MP1 going into a Peavey classic 50/50 and loved the tone....until I got a JMP-1, the Marshall with the Peavey absolutely rocks.
            A friend of mine used his JMP-1 into a Peavey 120/120 w/ 6L6. It sounded great. Then he downsized because he didn't feel like lugging around a heavy rack. So he used a Marshall valvestate...ohhh, what inaudible fizz!He got mad because I demanded him to go back to the tube Peavey..or I wouldn't play with him.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              A friend of mine used his JMP-1 into a Peavey 120/120 w/ 6L6. It sounded great. Then he downsized because he didn't feel like lugging around a heavy rack. So he used a Marshall valvestate...ohhh, what inaudible fizz!He got mad because I demanded him to go back to the tube Peavey..or I wouldn't play with him.
              dude thats great!! I love it!
              "Tube or die mother fucker"!
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven

Comment

I am putting a rack together again and have an Egnater M4 on order. It is modular with 4 slots. The Egnater modules are 2 channel and you can also use the Randall 1 channel modules in it. So with 4 Egnater modules you have 8 different channels. I chose the M4 after reading the Egnater and Randall Fourms and hearing clips on them and on Youtube. It is cheaper (comes with 2 modules) than the Engl SE and the Triaxis and you have the choice of modules from Fender, Vox, Marshall, Mesa, and Egnater's own sounds. I figure that if I don't like a module I can sell it and try another without buying a whole new pre-amp.
                I had a Triaxis and ended up selling it. I spent too much time tweaking and was never happy with it. I had a Rocktron Piranha that was great for 80's metal sounds with an OK clean channel.

Comment

You know, I always wanted to try those Egnaters, just cause of the the flexibility and tonal options. Like you said, if you dont like one, rip it out and sell it, and buy another one.
                  I'd like to build another rack for a different sound, cause my Engl/Marshall is dialed in for a certain sound, and i leave it there.

I'd like to maybe try a Mesa 20/20 or some kind of 50w tube poweramp and build from there. I think the Egnater would be the perfect choice for what I'd like to get out of it.
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven

Comment

Ooohhh No Offense. But John Comprix (Beyond fear) and I were trying a couple Egnaters at his Guitar Center. We both found their tone to be very dead and uninspiring. He and his buds invested time with them at their rehearsals with Tim Owens with bad results. I spent about almost an hour with them. I can't see what any fuss is about. They may be very well made and they look pretty cool..but that's all I could imagine. He actually said I sounded better thru it than he did..I dunno.

Comment

Ooohhh No Offense. But John Comprix (Beyond fear) and I were trying a couple Egnaters at his Guitar Center. We both found their tone to be very dead and uninspiring. He and his buds invested time with them at their rehearsals with Tim Owens with bad results. I spent about almost an hour with them. I can't see what any fuss is about. They may be very well made and they look pretty cool..but that's all I could imagine. He actually said I sounded better thru it than he did..I dunno.
                      Which modules did you try with it? There are so many Randall and Egnater modules that I find it hard to believe anyone couldn't find something decent at the very least. I have a Randall RM100 which uses the same modules. Only thing I can think of is maybe you guys didn't have a cab or power amp that matched up well with it, I don't know. Now that I think of it, you said Guitar Center which as far as I know doesn't carry the Egnater M4. Perhaps you are refering to the new Egnater line that GC is carrying which is not the same as the Egnater M4.
                      Another great option, although not cheap, is the Fractal Audio Axe Fx. That thing absolutely flat out rocks whether you are after the cleanest of clean sounds or heavy tones! Check into one if you can, I don't think you'll regret it. Has all the effects you could ever think of on board as well and its all Eventide type quality sounds to boot.
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

You could always get some random old thing like a Peavey Rockmaster or Carvin Quad X if you surf ebay.

Comment

Y'know Rudy. I'm absolutely ignorant about those amps. I just saw a few when I walked into GC, and thought "shit, the guys are always talkin' 'bout these" and John told me "Bro, they're not all that, I took one to practice and I didn't like it"..verbatim. But I still had to try them anywhoo. Well, I played a 2 X 12" combo and then a half stack. Since I don't care about cleans..I went for the balls. Both just didn't deliver anything I thought was inspiring. Maybe we didn't know WTF we were doing with them. We both have great metal tones of our own, and can dial 'em up pretty easy with any amp that cooperates. Those just didn't..it was really "lifeless", no matter what I did. He said it even sounded worse for him. I can't tell you what models or modules they were. We both just plug in, tweaked, and played. really. I figured it had to sound better than what I heard. You owned some nice gear and seem fuggin' credible. So I'll take your word for it. Afterwards, I just plugged into the KK and JVM Marshall and had some fun with those. Those amps are just plug N' Play..No brainers really.

Comment

Y'know Rudy. I'm absolutely ignorant about those amps. I just saw a few when I walked into GC, and thought "shit, the guys are always talkin' 'bout these" and John told me "Bro, they're not all that, I took one to practice and I didn't like it"..verbatim. But I still had to try them anywhoo. Well, I played a 2 X 12" combo and then a half stack. Since I don't care about cleans..I went for the balls. Both just didn't deliver anything I thought was inspiring. Maybe we didn't know WTF we were doing with them. We both have great metal tones of our own, and can dial 'em up pretty easy with any amp that cooperates. Those just didn't..it was really "lifeless", no matter what I did. He said it even sounded worse for him. I can't tell you what models or modules they were. We both just plug in, tweaked, and played. really. I figured it had to sound better than what I heard. You owned some nice gear and seem fuggin' credible. So I'll take your word for it. Afterwards, I just plugged into the KK and JVM Marshall and had some fun with those. Those amps are just plug N' Play..No brainers really.
                            O.K. I think I know which amps you played through. Thats the line of Egnaters that is built and sold exclusively through GC and not the same as the Egnater M4 preamp. The amps you played through I believe are made in China and they do not have removable pre-amp modules. The Egnater M4 is a 4 module USA built pre-amp. Thats why I got confused cause I thought we were talking about the pre-amps not the new line of Egnaters at GC. I think you would like the Egnater M4, or its Randall counterpart the RM4. These are Pre-amps only and accept any of the modules from the Egnater and Randall RM series Different stuff, same amp builder is all
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                            X