Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two amps broken in 30 minutes... need help with diagnosis!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two amps broken in 30 minutes... need help with diagnosis!

Hey guys,

today at band rehearsal I had more bad luck than in the previous five years combined, as not one, but TWO amps gave up on me today... and I'm having a gig on friday.

First was my ENGL Fireball, that one already didn't work correctly when I switched it on (worked fine last week, nothing changed at all since then).

There's still sound coming out of it, but only at a fraction of the normal volume. Preamp still works, as I could change between clean and distorted and the sound is pretty much as normal, master volume does make a difference as well, just the overall volume can't get much higher than speaking level.
    I had my GT-10 hooked up in 4-cable method, but same problem direct in. I tried different cables, a different cabinet, different guitar, same problem.

The tube malfunction LEDs didn't light up, tubes look normal.
    I actually also had replacement power tubes with me and put them in, that also didn't make any difference.

So that was the first one... anybody got an idea what could be wrong?

Well, I then gave up on the Fireball and plugged into the Peavey XXL which belongs to the guitarist of my other band.
    Worked normal at first, after one song the sound suddenly completely disappeared.
    However this time the power stage does still work... with the GT-10 bypassing the preamp of the XXL I could still get normal sound and loud volume.
    Just the preamp didn't work anymore (only quiet static noise), also tried going direct in.

Now the most important question: Could there be any reason for that other than massive bad luck? Bad power, wrong current from GT-10, something that could do damage to the amps?

I'm lost here because IMO something like a power spike from the outlet should blow the fuses of the amp... bad impedance from the cab should maybe cook the tranny or something, but those still work.

BTW, when I came home one of the light bulbs in my room flickered for a few seconds... damn I'm scared now.
    http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

I don't know, but have you seen the movie Shutter? Maybe you've got a crazy dead chick following you and making your life hell.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You know about that stuff better than me, for I don't have an ex-wife.

I'll try to take the day off tomorrow, so I can bring the amp to my local store... I hope my favorite guitar tech knows amps just as well, at least I saw some opened amps and stuff in his repair shop last time I was there.

Comment

Well they even have a dedicated amp tech, who localized the problem very quick.
        Phase inverter tube gone bad.

But when I brought the amp back into the rehearsal room and turned it on, a power tube left this world with a loud pop. So that made me worried the actual problem lies deeper...

I then decided to not take chances with that amp anymore, went back to the store and bought an ENGL Invader 100.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat View Post
          I then decided to not take chances with that amp anymore, went back to the store and bought an ENGL Invader 100.
          Well shit!! that is a good day after all.

I would have been a disaster if you had to go and buy a Vetta....
          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

The failure of the PI tube more than likely put excessive stress on the power stage.
            I wouldn't be so quick to dump the amp over it.

Comment

That was what the amp tech said as well. And I toally don't intend to dump the amp. I just don't want to use it at the gig today.

What I'm gonna do is, putting the other pair of power tubes back in the Fireball and see if it works. If something goes poof again, I'll take it back to the amp tech for measuring and repair, but then without the stress of needing it for the gig.

When it works I can lend the Fireball to the other guitarist whose XXL I toasted on Wednesday, so we can practice with that band.
              I'll also keep the Fireball for backup or small gigs. My other backup amp, a Peavey XXL, recently developed volume problems/cut outs as well and isn't gig-worthy anymore. And currently I have lent that amp to a buddy whose band got completely robbed.

Comment

Sounds like you might have power problems either at home or at the rehearsal space. 3 amps having the same problem in such a short time period is not normal.
                Scott

Comment

I had my GT-10 hooked up in 4-cable method, but same problem direct in. I tried different cables, a different cabinet, different guitar, same problem.
                  Hey shadowcat,
                  Were you using the same speaker cabinet with both amp heads?
                  Sounds like it might be a possible issue with a speaker cable and/or speaker cabinet. The chances of both amps going down on the spot is super rare.
                  Cheers,
                  Mike
                  Mike Fortin
                  Fortin Amplification, Inc.
                  http://www.fortinamps.com

Comment

I believe you are the anti-Midas. Stay away from my gear.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Man, the same exact thing happend to me last month. Both my practice amps, Peavey and Roland Cube died the same day. I ended up ordering a Vypyr 30 and next week my Voodoo VRock combo arrives. Funny how both situations ended up coming out great for us in the end.
                      Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

FWIW, I put the original power tubes back into the Fireball and it works since then *knocks on wood*.

I replaced the speaker cable and am using another wall outlet for the power. Checked my speaker cabinet, all speakers are working. Had no problems with my Invader since then. *knocks on wood again*

BTW, I later heard from a friend that his Ampeg SVT Classic died on the same day, power stage failure.
                        And the same week, another guitarist of the band we share the room with brought his brand new Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier into the room, after one hour of practice the transformer died.

No joke! Bad month for gear I guess...

Comment

No joke! Bad month for gear I guess...
                          yeah...I think someone mentioned that you might have some power surges at your location. You might want to look into some type of conditioner that can take a spike and keep your gear safe.

It just sounds like too much gear at the same location going bad.

joe...
                          www.godwentpunk.com
                          www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                            Sounds like you might have power problems either at home or at the rehearsal space. 3 amps having the same problem in such a short time period is not normal.
                            ))) You better get a digital meter..and check that your receptacle is
                            right? Say 119 volts...60 or 61 hz. Maybe your voltage is either low..
                            106v to 113v.. or high...124v to 132v! Ive seen this happen.

Comment

Well Shadowcat is from germany so he better has way more than 132V coming from the outlet.

Flo
                              http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Working...
                              X