Fender Supersonic Head Users-Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Supersonic Head Users-Help!

I just got in my 2nd Supersonic Head from MF (the 1st one had a D.O.A. Vintage channel). I couldn't test one out locally before I bought one, so that's why the order. Anyhow, I plugged the head into a Marshall 4 X 12 with Vintage 30's. The "Vintage" channel (Vibrolux and Bassman) sounded pretty good with decent volume if I cranked it to 10. I tried the "Burn" channel and had to crank it to 10 to get any volume out of the amp. I then tried connecting the amp to a Marshall 4 X 12 with 25W Greenbacks (less power needed to drive the speakers, so I think). It was a little better, but still not loud at all. I have a 2 X12 ordered and hope to get some decent volume out of the amp. It's the quietest 60W amp I have ever heard. My Fender 40W Vibrolux was louder than this and it's just a notch above my 15W Princeton Reverb.
    Has anyone experienced this? Mr. Learn, anybody? The volume is not anywhere near to my SLO-100 on 50 watts, or a 50 watt Marshall Plexi. Maybe the 2 X 12 cab will offer less resistance? I can live with the vintage channel boosted with my Keeley Katana boost, but this "Burn" channel is about useless with a 4 X 12 Cab. Strange?
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

No Supersonic users here? I found the problem. It was late last evening when I got it, so tonight I took the back panel off and started checking tubes. Holy crap, 2 of the 12AX7 preamp tubes were toast! This is the way I received it! I guess shipping is not too friendly to tubes I had some spares in my spares box, slightly used ones!

Now, it's more like it. Ear splitting loudness! The Bassman and Vibrolux are incredible Fender warm, round and loud! The Burn channel is equally fantastic with the high gain going on. Hmmm, I knew something was not quite right.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Congrats on the new amp, I really like the Supersonic. And yeah, preamp tubes are always the number one suspect when anything seems wrong!

Comment

Yeah thanks Dave! I'm very impressed with the Supersonic per most reviews I've seen. Great Fender clean tones as well as the modern high gain tones. Great stuff! The vintage Bassman was what I was really after and it kicks ass. It's dead on in sound compared to my old '66 Bassman head. I swore I'd never get another amp after my SLO-100 Soldano, but that is a completely different animal.

Now, I just need a Fender Reverb tank and Surf's Up!:ROTF:

Comment

Working...
        X