Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with the V-series being so cheap now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with the V-series being so cheap now?

Musicians Friend is selling all the Crate V-series stuff at stupid prices now...I had wanted the 30 watt one for a long time, now, they are giving them away. Did I read somewhere that they are Chinese now??? Is that why they are so cheap?
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

I thought Korean... but who knows.
    I have a V8, made in USA.
    Cool little amp.
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by quadperson View Post
      Musicians Friend is selling all the Crate V-series stuff at stupid prices now...I had wanted the 30 watt one for a long time, now, they are giving them away. Did I read somewhere that they are Chinese now??? Is that why they are so cheap?
      The new ones are M.I.C., unfortunately. I don't know if that's the
      reason for the blowout prices, but I ordered a 5-watt and a
      15-watt anyway. Hell, they're cheaper than a decent stomp-box...

Comment

I think they're being discontinued.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
          I thought Korean... but who knows.
          I have a V8, made in USA.
          Cool little amp.
          Oops... I mean Vietnam
          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

The Crate Palomino V series was originally made in the USA, then it switched to Vietnam.

Not sure about the current series. The current series is nothing like the Palomino series, which used celestion speakers and an actual output transformer.

I picked up a Palomino V32 head for 299.00, and a Palomino 2x12 cabinet for 229.00. They're a fun amp that has acceptable cleans, acceptable crunch, and acceptable high gain. One of my jamming buddies bought an identical rig. They're plenty loud, and have no trouble competing with his drum kit.

Have heard less than favorable reviews of the build quality of the newer V series though, and most say that while the clean channel is good, the overdrive channel is extremely muddy.

Hit Craigslist for a Palomino is my recommendation if you want a cheap knockaround tube amp.

- E.
            Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Ever since Loud Technologies (mackie) took over SLM (crate and Ampeg etc.) Ampeg is now Made in Asia. The Palamino series was exclusive for Guitar center and MF.
              Since we no longer carry crate there is no need for them to continue making the V series. SOOOO Yes they are being discontinued. However the Raven stuff at GC is some of the former SLM techs making amps under a new name. Im waitin for a tube amp from them. Altho I love my VFX212. It's that continual search for tone. So ya never know.
              Gil

Comment

I picked up one of the Palomino cabs and it's pretty nice for under $200.

use it with a Laney LC15R and the Fender superchamp at home and I can shake all the windows anytime I decide to.

LOL.

I 've been tempted on the V18-212 they have for $199 (had it in the cart the other day)....but I really don't need another amp.

at worst I would think you could move it on craigslist later if you don't like it for at leats what you paid.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'm kinda leaning toward a Fender Super Champ XD now. I've read good things about them.
                  I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

I've had a Crate V508 and a Crate Palamino V8 and both were killer amps! Compared to the Fender Super Champ XD that I currently have though.... Well the Fender blows them away. That Fender Super Champ XD is one of the best bangs for the buck out there right now IMO!

Comment

Working...
                    X