Marshall 9200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 9200

I am using a 9200 w/ the 5881's and I'm just wondering if anyone else on here has one or had one.

I just had mine serviced, blown resistor, capasitor replaced and 2 bad power tubes. I have TungSol power tubes and Electro Harmonix pretubes (12AX7 & 12AT7)

Got mine off of ebay about a year or so ago, and apparently it had never been maintenanced. My tech told me that it appears to have had the original tubes in it.

It's all better now. I'm gonna have Side B redone here fairly soon, but i am going to use different brands of tubes just to take advantage of having a different tone. If anyone has a 9100 or 9200 what tube brandsdo you run?

Here's an old photo of my rig. I dont have the BBE,Alesis, or EQ in there anymore. I'm also using a 6 space SKB now.
    Last edited by metalchurch79; 09-05-2008, 07:12 PM.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

I bought my Marshall rack new in '96 ..9200(5881)/JMP-1/JFX-1 into four Marshall 1960B cabs..I also run both sides of my BBE422. I always loved it..and always will love it. I HATE the EL34 version. They sound nothing like mine. I've had three friends buy Marshall racks w/ EL34 and agree it doesn't kick the ass mine does. It does the best Criss Oliva I've heard. But these days I get it to sound heavier ala Eidolon and such.

It is the most consistent and best sounding Marshall I've ever heard or owned. The new JVM does sound pretty good but I've only played it at the store...not loud where it counts.

My other amp is an Uberschall..they both have their place, and sound amazing together!

I'd prolly sell my beloved Uberschall before my Marshall rack. It makes me play more freely and its much more forgiving...and consistent!!!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

BTW..Those amps came w/ Sovteks. Those are the original tubes...both preamp and poweramp.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah man, I love mine to death, it is so fuckin loud it's unreal! I almost cried when it went down on me a few months ago. I paid $350 to get it fixed, but it was worth every penny to me, cause it's my baby.
        My friend just sold his 9200, he had the 5881 version also.
        I'd like to find a 9100 or a 20/20 sometime to build a smaller rack.

I also considered a Mesa 2:100 when I was lookin for a Poweramp. I'm glad that I got this instead. My buddy had the only one that I knew of.

What brand tubes are you using?
        Did you buy yours new?
        What years were the 5881's made?
        What years were the 9200's in production altogether?

It's hard to find info on these, I know they were discontinued a while ago. I think mine is one of the first versions.

Check this link out, it is all Marshall tube amps. Scroll down to the '9000' series.
        http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven

Comment

Yes, I bought mine brand new and It sounds better than ever. I've been tweakin' it a bit alonf with drums after play my Uber for two months. The factory Sovtek 5881 powertubes are still in there. Hey, if its not broke ..don't fuck with it. One of the 12ax7s took a dump in the JMP-1..so I pooped a spare in there. That was about 4-5 years ago.

Whatever you do..don't do what my VH trib guy did. He wanted to downsize his rack and got a Marshall valvestae poweramp..it sounded like an obnoxios small tansistor radio. That Mesa is perfect. I played a friend's Mesa 2:90 and Line 6 Pod pro..I got that fucker sounding great!

Marshall are known for their definition and mid range cut..not for any low end balls. So, they need all the assist they could get and the 5881s definitely help. You don't need more mids with a Marshall..that's entirely where the freqs are w/ Marshall. That and the BBE422 helps. I've milked my Marshall tone for all its worth since '96. Its pretty impressive to hear and play. I've had a ton on it compliments since. Most inportantly, I love the sound and play my best with it.

I had stock JJ EL34 and 12ax7s in my Bogener. I never like the midrange "honk" I had at loud voulme levels. I followed some good advice from thetubestore and popped in a matching set of Tung Sols 12ax7s. That more than remedied my complaint..it sounds perfect at band levels now. They're a good offset balance to the EL34. That amp has so much girth and low end..nothing like the Marshall. They are apples to oranges but sound amazing together. I have the cut and definition of my Marshall with the gain and chunk of the Uberschall...wow! That's how I'd want people to hear it..but that would be so much work to drag to a gig..fuck that!

Comment

Horns,
            Mine also had the Sovteks in it, and since I had them replaced w/ TungSols, the low end got alot tighter, I actually had to back off the low end on my Engls' EQ cause it was too much.

I used to run a BBE 362, but one day, I turned it off, and realized that it was choking my sound off too much and I got rid of that.
            I don't think it helps as much on tubed amps as it does on SS, but that's just me. Atleast in my setup it didn't.

My only complaint is that the '92 weighs a ton, other than that, I can see myself using this for a long time. I don't think I'll ever sell it even if I do find something that I like more.

Once you do get yours re tubed and biased, you are not gonna believe the low end that you are gonna have. I'm gonna guess that you're gonna fall in love w/ it all over again. I know I did. It just sounds like a complete different animal now.
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven

Comment

Ahhh..I hear you. I can imagine the low end with the Tung Sol..they are a much darker tube. I had to completely re-dial in preamp section with them..using more 50% less bass.

I almost can't wait for my tubes to take a dump so I install Tung Sols in the 9200. I have the JJ's from my Uber and was thinking of trying those in the JMP-1..but I'm content with the Sovteks in there for now..when they blow..I'll try it then. It's kind of a pain in the ass opening the JMP-1. I did a few years ago to replace one of the stock 12ax7s that took a dump. Some say that preamp isn't really a valve preamp at all..I dunno, it literally shuts down to nastty cracklin' fizz when one of the two tubes go..

Oh, they stopped makeing the 5881 version of the 9200 in '96. Onblt the first series came with them. So we're are lucky in that respect. I know you can convert to 5881..but its nice to have the original deal. Mine still has the 5881 sticker on the faceplate!!

Comment

I didnt know that they only made one year w/ the 5881's, thats kind of neat to have that version then.
                You really should atleasy try the Tungsol's in either sideA or sideB.
                I am using ElectroHarmonix 12ax7 &12at7, only cause TungSol doesn't make a 12AT7.
                Remember don't just put in 2 12AX7's and be done with it. It will work, but it's designed to have a 12AT7 in it, so just to be on the safe side I did just that.

Do you remember how much you paid for your's? I heard they were around $1000, but that seems cheap.
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven

Comment

wow talk about a resurrection! I am using this thread to help me today! Ordering 2 quads, 8 tubes for my 9200.

Came with a bad tube in one side. Been using just the B channel, 2 outputs into 2 speakers.

Once I get it working, I'm just gonna play it for a while: I also have a JMP-1 preamp and a G Major 2 effects processor.
                  I have two cabinets, each with 2 speakers.
                  Each cab has a Celestion Vintage 30 and a Celestion G12-H Heritage series (England) speakers. It sounds great even with only one channel working.

Since the 9200 has 4 output jacks, I'm going to get 2 more cabinets for a total of four, and even rent a house based on it's ability for me to be able to play this beast loud.
                  After the speakers, I am going to send the 9200 and the JMP-1 to Voodoo Amps for the full treatment. Maybe sell a few guitars to afford that...
                  At Voodoo Amps, besides modifications, they'll be able to replace anything needed to return these Marshall gems to like-new condition.

- jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X