New Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rig

I decided I wanted to upgrade my amp setup--well, the truth is that GAS made me do it. For the past two years I've been using an old Engl Sovereign 212 and I also have a '74/'75 Fender Super Six Reverb that I don't use much anymore and I wanted to try something else.

I picked up a used Engl 830/50 (2*50W) poweramp for a really good price and found a used Engl 530 preamp too. The preamp had been modded and was a bit overpriced but what the heck... There haven't really been any used Engl cabs available here lately so I picked up an Engl 4*12" (Celestion V60) standard cab at the local music store.

I can't compete with lhrocker's wall of doom, but below is a pic anyway. Also in the rack is a Boss GT Pro with the preamp sitting in one of the loops. The amp modeling in the Boss sounds great when hooked up to the computer (which is what I bought it for) and sounds even better through the power amp.

Cool Set up. I just got a Mesa Boogie 20/20 for a great price (running the GT8 through it). I was considering the Engl 530 preamp as well.

How do you like it? Can you post some tone samples?

Comment

Great setup javert - you don't need a wall of doom to rock out!!!!!! \m/

Comment

Thanks guys!

Radiohead, I just got it yesterday and I think I need some more time to pass judgement. Right now, I find the whole setup to be a bit too muffled for my liking and I'm not sure which part of the processing chain is to blame for that, but probably I just have to tweak it some more.

As for some samples, I'll see if I can hook it up to my computer one of these days. Until then you may want to check out the myriad of samples that can be found on youtube.

Comment

IIRC, Engl 530 preamp has already a small power amp built in...did you try it? How does it sound at low volumes? (so that noone hears you in the next room).

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
            IIRC, Engl 530 preamp has already a small power amp built in...did you try it? How does it sound at low volumes? (so that noone hears you in the next room).
            Hi Nazgul. You're right, it does have a small power amp but I haven't tried it out yet--I just got it yesterday. I'll try it out when I get the opportunity. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
            X