Thinking of changing pickup in SL2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of changing pickup in SL2H

I've been thinking of changing the bridge pickup in my SL2H for some time now. I've got the stock pickups loaded right now and am very happy with the '59 in the neck. I was at Guitar Center today and played the Schecter Synester (Avenged Sevenfold) signature guitar. I'm not a big fan of the band, but I was actually really impressed with the guitar. I thought that it had Invader's, but I didn't look very closely. Checking online, it seems that they are Duncan Designed HB-108 Detonators. I really liked the way that they sounded though. I know that the Schecter is all mahogany which would make a difference. My question is, does anyone have any experience with the HB-108 or Invader in an SL2H or similar maple neck/alder body guitar.

I guess what I don't like about the JB is too much midrange honk, less than stunning clean tone. I play through an ENGL Powerball and tones that I like are similar to Arch Enemy, Lamb of God, Machine Head, The Haunted, In Flames. I know that with Arch and Lamb of God at least one of the two guitarists use JB's, but I've just not been really satisfied with the tones I've been getting. I have a guitar with a Duncan Distortion, and really like what I get out of that guitar, but that is mahogany body as well.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Email tim at Bareknuckle and ask him what he would suggest.
    the Holydiver is supposedly modeled after what the best of what an old JB sounded like.
    I have BK's in both of my 7 string guitars and they have much more character than
    any duncans or dimarzios I've ever owned.
    For the tone you mentioned I'd try a Nailbomb. I have one in my Carvin 7 and I can nail Arch Enemy tones thru my JSX with it, plus it cleans up really well too.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

If you can afford some, Bare Knuckles are pretty awesome. For the sound you're after, a Miracle Man would be ideal.
      Also, if you think that 59 is good in the neck, try a Cold Sweat.

In my experience:
      Cold Sweat- Perfect hot vintage/neck shred pup.
      Holy Diver- Hard Rock/Heavy metal.
      Painkiller- Classic metal.
      Miracle Man- Modern hi gain metal.
      Nailbomb- Heavy/Thrash metal.
      Warpig- Thrash, Doom and death metal.

Failing that, a DiMarzio X2N.

SD Invader is a turd of a pick up in my opinion. Always thought that a TB4 was perfect for the bridge of a SL2H though. Unless you get a Bare Knuckle of course.
      All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Well I like the TB4 in my SL2H, but then again I don't play the stuff you do (I play old school metal), and I ususally go for Marshalls. The JB works for my stuff but not for yours.

I'd say if you liked the sound of the Invader, go for it. Most people blast the Invader for being muddy and bassy, but in an SL2H it might work well. The DD works good too, a proven classic. You'll get more chunk with that.

Any way you look at it, the bridge you pick isn't going to clean up well unless you go for a low output pickup like a 59 bridge. Maybe you should look for something in between, like one of the customs.

All I can say is that everyone's ears are different, rigs are different, and guitars are different. It's really a crap shoot getting something that you like.

Comment

I dont know. I had a custom wound Warpig (23k) in an ESP Horizon that cleaned up beautifully. I dont know how they do it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. Does anyone have any experience with the Duncan SH-15? I was reading on the SD forums and it is pretty highly regarded there as somewhat of a cross between Distortion/Invader. This sounds like it might be the route to go. I checked out some clips of the bare knuckles and they sound good, but it is more feasible for me to try Duncan's as they are easier to get to try multiple models if I don't like my first choice.

Comment

I too, once held a wish to remove some midrange in my stock SL2H...so I replaced the JB with a Duncan Custom...now it's up from great to superb
              Retains the harmonic qualities of a fairly low-output pickup yet it still sounds great for metal. Like I always say..let the amp do the gain boosting.

Comment

Electric, I'd consider getting an X2N in that case. You'll get one pretty easy for a good price and they kick ass.
                The sh-15 is alright from what Ive heard but if you really want an SD get an SH-6.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric View Post
                  Thanks for the replies so far. Does anyone have any experience with the Duncan SH-15? I was reading on the SD forums and it is pretty highly regarded there as somewhat of a cross between Distortion/Invader. This sounds like it might be the route to go. I checked out some clips of the bare knuckles and they sound good, but it is more feasible for me to try Duncan's as they are easier to get to try multiple models if I don't like my first choice.
                  I have a Alternative 8 in my KV2, I think it sounds like a higher output Custom Five.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazrim View Post
                    Electric, I'd consider getting an X2N in that case. You'll get one pretty easy for a good price and they kick ass.
                    The sh-15 is alright from what Ive heard but if you really want an SD get an SH-6.
                    the SH-15 is much better than th SH-6, but I like the sound of an Alnico magnet better than ceremic.

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                      the SH-15 is much better than th SH-6, but I like the sound of an Alnico magnet better than ceremic.

Depends what kind of sound you're after. Sure, Alnicos sound big and smooth but for metal you need punch sometimes and for punch you need ceramic. I know Alnicos can be punchy but ceramic are better suited for it. Well, for fast muted thrash riffs anyway.
                      I think the SH-6 is a keener, crisper, punchier JB. Its a great pup for metal and soloing and its still very versatile. Cleans up nice. Might be a bit too much on the treble side thinking about it. But you can always dial more low end in if you want it. Its certainly not thin sounding.
                      I have an SH-6 in the bridge of my KV2 and the stock TB-4 in the neck. They work beautifully together.

An X2N probably still is the best bet for what Electric wants in my opinion. If he wants to avoid Bare Knuckles that is.
                      Last edited by Mazrim; 09-03-2008, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll get an X2N, and I've already got a Distortion in another guitar that I can throw in the SL2H just to test. If I'm still not happy maybe I'll try the Alt 8.

Comment

There is a BKP Nailbomb on US evilbay right now though. Not a bad price either.

Comment

Have you tried replacing the magnet in your JB?

It's pretty simple, and an alnico III magnet will give you the best of an old JB right from your new JB.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey_C View Post
                              Have you tried replacing the magnet in your JB?

It's pretty simple, and an alnico III magnet will give you the best of an old JB right from your new JB.
                              Do tell....

Comment

Working...
                              X