Just scored a Carvin V3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just scored a Carvin V3

I just got a Carvin V3 today. The head is mint and it came with a Peavey XXX cabinet and 4 button footswitch. This amp sounds really good and is pretty versatile. The Carvin clean sound is really clean and loud. Hope to have more time to play with it before the weekend is over.

I also got to play an Ubershall today - wicked amp. The lead channel is to die for, but then it costs way more than the V3 did.

I really like my V3. I've been gigging with it for about 7 months now and it has been fault-free and it sounds great.

the setting I use most is the Marshall-tone setting you can get with either Ch 1 or 2 (they are identical, but you can tweak them way differently), with the mids dimed out, bass at 2:00, treb at 3:00, and the gain at about Noon. I have this on my Ch 2 and I have Ch 3 set up with more gain for when I need it.

it plays well with my GT-8 also, and the 4cm works great.

for the money I don't think there's a better amp available. I think it trounces a number of relatively higher-priced amps also.

the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

What functions does the V3 footswitch control? I was considering getting one back when they first came out, but there seemed to be a lot of reliability issues early on, so I went with rack gear instead.
      sigpic

Comment

How does it sound compaired to a messa or evh?
        EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
        1959Epiphone les paul
        george L cables
        mxr pedals
        Engl fireball 100

Comment

It has the characteristics of both a classic Marshall and a Mesa Recto. My bandmate has been using one live for about 6 months. We also use it in the studio. Its a fantastic amp that is the perfect choice for the player who can't deicde between Marshall and Mesa. It has a fantastic clean channel too. Multiple smart loops should be on ALL amps.
          We also have a few 5150's in the studio. The V3 sounds nothing like a 5150.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            It has the characteristics of both a classic Marshall and a Mesa Recto. My bandmate has been using one live for about 6 months. We also use it in the studio. Its a fantastic amp that is the perfect choice for the player who can't deicde between Marshall and Mesa. It has a fantastic clean channel too. Multiple smart loops should be on ALL amps.
            We also have a few 5150's in the studio. The V3 sounds nothing like a 5150.
            yup, you can dial in the Marshall face-ripping mids on one channel, the massive gain scooped Mesa tones on another channel, and then you have the clean channel for cleans or for using with effects and patches like in any effects unit.

I really wanted a Marshall, but 1) could not afford one at the moment, and 2) I wanted a nice clean which Marshalls generally don't have.

the V3 does all of these.
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
            X