Cleaning PC1 Au Natural

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning PC1 Au Natural

Hey guys, what's safe to use on the Au Natural finished PC1? Water only? Is water even safe?

Thanks,
    Eric
    bcgator

Presumably it has some kind of lacquer coating or similar? How dirty is it?

I'd just breathe on it and give it a wipe.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

i wouldn't use any water to clean a guitar, especially if it has an oil finish on it.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks guys. Sully, you captured the exact reason I asked...the Au Natural version of the PC1 just has an oiled finish, with no poly. I don't have enough experience with wood care to know what's safe with oil finishes, and whether water on an oil finish is harmful. It's a popular color, and lots of members here on the board have the Au Natural, so I figured someone else must be curious about this same question and have come up with an answer.

Eric
        bcgator

Comment

A light mist of guitar polish or even lemon oil will be fine.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm with TJ on this one.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Lemon oil, or guitar polish. Ok, gotcha. I think I once got a sample bottle of Fender guitar mister with another PC1 I no longer have, I assume that Fender stuff qualifies as guitar polish. I'll confirm on their website. Thanks much guys, appreciate the input.

Eric
              bcgator

Comment

Scott's liquid gold.
                Fender polish sucks ass on the Au Natural finish... it leaves a build up and dulls the grain.
                I've been using Liquid Gold on my PC1 since day 1... still looks as good as the day I got it.
                And yes, I'm ready to do the commercial.
                -Rick

Comment

you need to know what type of oil finish is on it before to start adding other chemicals. Some of those "lemon" oils have petro distillates in them that can harm the oil finish. God knows whats in those guitar polishes.
                  Sometimes for certain types of oil, if it hardens, alcohol will bring back a luster... sometimes its the wrong thing period.

Just be careful

Comment

Thanks for the input Eddie, good advice.

Rick, any particular Scott's Liquid gold product? I see they make wood wipes, wood wash, wood cleaner & preservative. Which specifically have you personally been using?

Thanks again,
                    Eric

Comment

I use the wood cleaner with the preservative.
                      This one to be exact. http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/prod...ls.aspx?iid=90
                      I spray it on a clean cloth (cloth diaper) and then wipe the guitar down with it.
                      Do not spray directly on the guitar as it really comes out fast and can get messy.
                      -Rick

Comment

That's exactly what I need to know, thanks Rick. I'll pick some up today.

thanks again everyone,
                        Eric
                        bcgator

Comment

You know Rick, I wonder if that Scotts will be safe on an Ash body PC1 as well. I think that's just an oil stain on ash. It's a completely different feel from the Au Natural, but still un-poly'ed wood. Just curious...

Eric
                          bcgator

Comment

Not sure how it will react on Ash. Should be safe though.
                            Try it on a small spot on the back to test it, or even on a scrap piece of Ash if you have one around.
                            I know it's safe for Mahogany and Maple as I tried it on some pre-oiled scraps before using it on my PC1.
                            -Rick

Comment

Would Warwick bass wax be a good idea?

Comment

Working...
                              X