Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 with Power Scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 with Power Scaling

Just bought a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 with something called Power Scaling, a technique from Kevin O'Connor at London Power installed:

http://www.powerscaling.com/community/index.php?page=9

The amp sounds amazing at low volumes and I am now hooking it up with a GT-10 in the Fx loop + a Fulltone Fat Boost II in front of it. Very happy so far although I haven´t started any serious tweaking yet.

I have a picture of how it´s installed on the back of the amp, but didn´t figure out how to upload it to this message unfortunately.

Interesting but the very reason I bought my 5:50 is so I could knock it down to 5 watts and get great bedroom tone. This seems like a waste for the Express series, maybe better suited for straight 50 or 100 watt amps.
    Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Custom Classic
    Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton sig
    Fender Telecaster Standard MM
    Jackson Dinky DKMGT
    Jackson Stealth EX
    Charvel 375
    Ibanez Daytripper
    OLP Musicman
    Carvin C250

Mesa 5:50 Express
    Sonic 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Skully View Post
      Interesting but the very reason I bought my 5:50 is so I could knock it down to 5 watts and get great bedroom tone. This seems like a waste for the Express series, maybe better suited for straight 50 or 100 watt amps.
      I thought so too until I tried one out and compared. First off, a tube amp is loud at what I call bedroom volumes at 5 watts too. Turn the gain + master all the way to 5 O´clock and see what happens in the 5 watt stage just as a test.. Second, at least the Expresses I have tried out, - both the 5:25 and 5:50 have sounded very different on 5 in A-class vs. 25/50 in AB. I want to be able to run it hard also in AB.

This gives me the possibility to run it at A as well as AB at very low volumes, driving the tubes at their maximum.

Comment

Originally posted by kokostrollet View Post
        I thought so too until I tried one out and compared. First off, a tube amp is loud at what I call bedroom volumes at 5 watts too. Turn the gain + master all the way to 5 O´clock and see what happens in the 5 watt stage just as a test.. Second, at least the Expresses I have tried out, - both the 5:25 and 5:50 have sounded very different on 5 in A-class vs. 25/50 in AB. I want to be able to run it hard also in AB.

This gives me the possibility to run it at A as well as AB at very low volumes, driving the tubes at their maximum.
        I got to try out a 525 once for about an hour...REALLY liked the tone.
        My problem would be that i would have to have 2 of them in Stereo! :-))

Comment

I had a 5:25 and wish I still had it but hard times called for me to sell it. Running side by side with my Mesa Rectoverb 50 watt combo the 5:25 sounded louder to me! They are VERY powerful amps even in the 5 watt mode. I didn't hardly see it being bedroom level at all. They have some killer tones and I hope to get another one when things pickup. I think that the power scaling would be a nice option for one personally.

Comment

Hmmm... I tried one and found it kinda lifeless compared to my F-100 and my Subway Rocket. Weird. I think it really needed a pedal in front of it, but I wasn't able to play it very loud when I tried it.

I'm pretty happy with the pair I've got now, so I'm not looking too hard at amps these days.

Comment

I love my 5:25, esp. the reverb (all tube).
              mmmmmmmm
              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                I love my 5:25, esp. the reverb (all tube).
                mmmmmmmm
                Agreed, the cleans on my 5:50 and the reverb is what initially sucked me into the amp! and it does a great "80s metal" without any help.
                Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Custom Classic
                Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton sig
                Fender Telecaster Standard MM
                Jackson Dinky DKMGT
                Jackson Stealth EX
                Charvel 375
                Ibanez Daytripper
                OLP Musicman
                Carvin C250

Mesa 5:50 Express
                Sonic 4 x 12

Comment