Jackson Soloist from early 1990s, help plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Soloist from early 1990s, help plz

Hey guys. I am relatively new on the forum and this is my first thread, so try to be nice haha . I was walking through guitar center today, and a shiny Jackson caught my eye .

USA Jackson Soloist SL1(I think this is the name, as it had 2 single coils and 1 hum), in the older version of the eerie dess swirl finish (if it has always been called that). It has Jackson pickups (stock im guessing?) and a Jackson Schaller floyd.

The serial number is kind of what confuses me the most on this guitar. The number 2 is printed on the 23rd fret, while the serial number U02451 is on the 24th. I checked Jackson's site, and it said that the U number meant that this guitar was from 1993, but I'm not sure about the 2 on top of the main serial line.

The price is another issue that I would like some help with if possible. The guitar is in great shape for how old it is, only 2 chips on the back of the finish that I could find. I could not try to play it, because the fretboard was bent and thus the string buzz was terrible. The guy who helped me said he could get the tech to get the fretboard straightened, and to come back in the next few days to try it. Even if the fretboard is totally fixed though, I am completely unsure of the price.

They are asking 599.99...I might be able to lower him to 499.99, but still looking in 500 bucks + range. I have no idea if this is good/bad/standard for a guitar of this caliber.

If I could have some opinions from some of the godly jackson guitar experts from the JCF, id rlly appreciate it ^^. Thx in advance.

- Matt
    My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

The "2" represents a factory second. Meaning the guitar was sold as blem item. This meant there was a finish flaw from the factory that did not pass inspection. Or it was the end of the year and needed a write off so they dumped a bunch of guitars as flawed and wrote them off.

EJ

Comment

599 is a steal. Those things tell for 1K usually on ebay,,I've seen them sell for allot more than that.

They're nice any heavy too.

Comment

^ what they said
        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

It probably failed over a finish flaw, but give it a thorough check for major things like trem, nut, & pickup alignment, neck backbow, twist, or humps, truss rod issues, etc. Hopefully, it'll pass muster & you'll get a killer deal. Hope it works out!

Comment

ok yea I wouldn't buy a guitar that has major problems.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
              It probably failed over a finish flaw, but give it a thorough check for major things like trem, nut, & pickup alignment, neck backbow, twist, or humps, truss rod issues, etc. Hopefully, it'll pass muster & you'll get a killer deal. Hope it works out!
              It would have only been a finish flaw as far as I know. Thats what I was told from people that worked at Jackson at the time.

EJ

Comment

The fact that the neck is backbowed currently would worry me. I wonder if the truss rod is stripped or broke? Maybe it's just loose.

If you can get your hands on it, check out Dan Erlewine's book on making your guitar play great. The first section is what to look at if buying a new guitar, issues, etc.

Comment

$599 IS a steal. You're lucky to snag one these days for under $750. There are a few idiots trying to sell them for $1400~ on ebay, but $700-900 is a more realistic range.

GRAB IT!!!

Comment

Ended up going back earlier today (technically yesterday since its a bit over 2 am atm) and trying it out again. The fret buzz issue seemed to have been resolved, and I got the price down to 499.99 ^^. The humbucker will need to be replaced, as the last owner did a shab job at installing the current one, but at around 600 bucks total for guitar + pickup, its nothing to complain about. Its on layaway atm, gonna get it next week when I can get to the bank . Thx for all the help.
                    My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Comment

Working...
                    X