Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Jackson King V Project (almost complete)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Jackson King V Project (almost complete)

About a month ago I was cleaning my house a bit and came across one of my old Jackson King V's that has been sitting in the case for the last 8 years or so. I used some of the parts from it on other guitars over the years and never got around to putting it back together.

Here's some pics of it as of last month.

This guitar is serial # DM029 93

It was ordered in December of 1992 and received in spring 1993. It was supposed to be an exact replica of Dave Mustaine's Silver KV from that time period but some things were done incorrectly. Matching headstock, the control configuration, the bridge pickup route (has Floyd spacing).

Anyway, I played the hell out of the guitar from the time I got it until around 1998 when I purchased a KV-1. At that point this guitar was retired. I eventually took the Kahler off of it around 2001 and supplied it to Jackson for a different order. It's been parted out ever since then.

After I came across it last month I decided that it would be cool to get it back in working order. Unfortunately the finish was pretty banged up on the edges and around the headstock from where I tried to install some tuners like a teenage moron.

I didn't want to refinish it Silver again so I thought that it would be cool to have the guitar refinished black and turn it into a Megadeth King V and have the Megadeth logo airbrushed on it. I contacted Jani over at the Jackson Guitar Palace and told him what I was thinking of doing and asked if he wouldn't mind supplying me with some close up hi-res pics of his Megadeth KV (he owns Mustaine's original one from back in the day.) Thankfully Jani was kind enough to help out! (Thanks dude!)

So today I picked up my guitar from the artist I had do the refinish and here's some pics of it I snapped quickly. I am still waiting for the Seymour Duncan bridge pickup to get here so I can get it all reassembled and set up. They're slow.

I think it turned out great. I am very happy with the work she did. She even airbrushed the Jackson logo on the headstock.

I'm really looking forward to getting this thing back together and jamming on it.

Sorry for the super long post, but I figured some of you guys over here would appreciate it and like to see it.

More pics to come when it's all back together (Hurry the fuck up mr.Seymour.)

Looks awesome Brian - great work. Mind you, I like the silver as well....
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

How come i never find USA Jackson's when I'm cleaning my house?

Cool guitar by the way!
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

looks awesome , i cant wait to see it done!!

Comment

Dude, that is a thing of beauty. I wet myself just a little right now.

Comment

Brian,

I remember you mentioned that the CS screwed up and painted the headstock silver when it was supposed to be black in 93 when your guitar was made.

I just realized if you look at the behind the scenes video of the making of 99 ways to die. Dave Mustaine was bitching that the Custom Shop was supposed to paint his silver V with a matching headstock, that was supposed to be ready for the video shoot. Do you think its possible you accidently got his and he got yours since the time frame is correct in 1993?

The video was on youtube but I cant find it now.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
              Brian,

I remember you mentioned that the CS screwed up and painted the headstock silver when it was supposed to be black in 93 when your guitar was made.

I just realized if you look at the behind the scenes video of the making of 99 ways to die. Dave Mustaine was bitching that the Custom Shop was supposed to paint his silver V with a matching headstock, that was supposed to be ready for the video shoot. Do you think its possible you accidently got his and he got yours since the time frame is correct in 1993?

The video was on youtube but I cant find it now.
              I saw that video you are talking about. It was an MTV show I think that had little bits from all sorts of different bands.

That guitar Dave was using in that video shoot was a King V Pro in Cherry Sunburst. He asked someone at the shoot, "Do you notice anything different about this guitar from when we ordered it?" and the guy he was talking to said, "No matching headstock?" and Dave replied, "No flame inlay." and then he said something like, "Tempers are flaring."

I remember that quite well because I thought "Wow, they even screw up on Dave's orders too!"

But nah, this guitar was never for Dave to my knowledge. I placed the order with a dealer called "Modern Guitar" in Reno Nevada in 1992. After I had received the guitar and contacted Jackson about the stuff I didn't order (like the matching headstock) they sent me a copy of the work order where it showed that the dealer requested it and signed off on the sign off sheet without sending it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                I saw that video you are talking about. It was an MTV show I think that had little bits from all sorts of different bands.

That guitar Dave was using in that video shoot was a King V Pro in Cherry Sunburst. He asked someone at the shoot, "Do you notice anything different about this guitar from when we ordered it?" and the guy he was talking to said, "No matching headstock?" and Dave replied, "No flame inlay." and then he said something like, "Tempers are flaring."

I remember that quite well because I thought "Wow, they even screw up on Dave's orders too!"

But nah, this guitar was never for Dave to my knowledge. I placed the order with a dealer called "Modern Guitar" in Reno Nevada in 1992. After I had received the guitar and contacted Jackson about the stuff I didn't order (like the matching headstock) they sent me a copy of the work order where it showed that the dealer requested it and signed off on the sign off sheet without sending it to me.

Memory is fuzzy on this. I know he comes on to the set with the Pro series but I swear there was the Sparkle V as well that shows up on the set during the shoot and he got upset about it being a black HS.

It used to be on youtube now its bothering me because I want to clarify for my own memory.

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

I love it man! Your painter did an excellent job with the Jackson and the made in usa logo, it looks factory to me!
                    I prefer the black paint job to the silver one to be honest. Wow, how could you forget that you had such a guitar? Or even let it go that long? Or even part it out?

Did you order an SH Seymour or a TB? Are the pickup rings wider on a Trembucker as opposed to an SH Humbucker? I've never noticed before, I've always used Seymour TB's

Nice axe bro!
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven
                    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

This is going to look very cool! Congrats!

And indeed a nice job on the logo! Looks just like original! Except that maybe "made in USA" text is just a little bit bigger.

Comment

Myself, I would have left it sparkly and sold it on Ebay. The Mustaine fans woulda paid top dollah for it! TOP DOLLAH!
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

om man,,

nice.

I like the silver though. THe black is cool too.

Thatss like cleaning your basement and finding a flux capacitor...

Comment

I'm going to have to go clean my basement and see if I have anything that cool kicking around down there.... I'm really thinking not... but I can hope.....
                            "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Sweet guitar!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X