EMG wiring with afterburner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG wiring with afterburner.

Could someone draw up a wiring diagram for an EMG 81/85 with 3 way box type pup selector volume tone and an afterburner.

The more detailed the better. Also, any tips on soldering would be great.

Thanks a bunch.

Aaron

I would also like to see this diagram, I've never wired an EMG AB, but I always wanted to try one.
    I heard that they also work with Passive pickups, has anyone used an AB like that?
    Could you post a wiring diagram for that one also?

Thanks
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I had one wired to a set of passive pups. It worked great. It really extended the range of sounds I could get.

Comment

I always wanted to take a run of the mill, low output neck humbucker and throw an After Burner to it just to see what I'd come up with.
        I think it would be interesting to see it coupled with a PAF Pro-N also. I guess it would be a hotter PAF in sorts, right?
        The AB just takes the natural tones and amplifies,or boosts them right?
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven

Comment

Yeah. Plus you can use it to get a little break up on a clean channel for a bluesy type sound, give you a volume boost when you switch to lead for a solo, or just leave it cranked to add distortion to your riffs. They are pretty sweet.

Comment

From what I've read, the AB has a simple 2 wire hookup, but where those wires go is beyond me. What also sucks is the fact that you have to add the AB as a knob instead of it doubling as a Volume/and boost.

I guess if you wanted it activated all of the time, you could find a setting you liked, and set it there and stuff it inside the control cavity.
            Or set it, and stuff it inside the control cavity, but active/de-activate it by a on/off mini toggle. That would be clean and also a nice little surprise for your buddies!
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven

Comment

The PA-2. It is a mini toogle with a pot on the circuit board underneath it. It is either on or off. The wiring for the PA-2 and the afterburner are the same 1 red, one white and two black iirc. I have both, but I am only using the AB right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronharmon View Post
                The PA-2. It is a mini toogle with a pot on the circuit board underneath it. It is either on or off. The wiring for the PA-2 and the afterburner are the same 1 red, one white and two black iirc. I have both, but I am only using the AB right now.
                That is the PA-2 wiring. I can't find any wiring diagrams for passive pups. I've kind of figured out how to wire it with passive pups -- between the volume pot center lug and the output jack, with the battery across a stereo jack so that whe unplugged the battery is taken out of the circuit.

Here is what I have not been able to figure out, yet. I assume that one of the black wire go to the back of a pot. However, do you ground the bridge? Grounding the bridge is NOT done with EMG active pups.
                The Guitars:
                Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                The Amps:
                Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Yes, you ground the bridge on passives when you are using an AB or PA-2. The only time you don't ground is with active pups.

Comment

and BTW, the pot on the PA-2 allows you to adjust gain from 0 to 20 Db, just like the dial on the AB. They are very similiar products.

Comment

Cool, thanks for that!
                      The Guitars:
                      Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                      The Amps:
                      Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

EMGs are internally grounded.
                        The PA-2 sounds awesome too! That is great that it already has a toggle, but do the PA-2 and the AB require a stereo jack for sure?

You'd think that by now someone would have had a diagram or atleast an idea. Have you asked EMG if they would send you one via email?
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                          EMGs are internally grounded.
                          The PA-2 sounds awesome too! That is great that it already has a toggle, but do the PA-2 and the AB require a stereo jack for sure?

You'd think that by now someone would have had a diagram or atleast an idea. Have you asked EMG if they would send you one via email?
                          I e-mailed EMG tech support about two weeks ago with my question. No response.
                          The Guitars:
                          The Amps:

Comment

It's going on well over 3 weeks since I've emailed them about my 'wiring problem' that I was having with my jack that I posted here. I still haven't received a response.

Their website doesn't have very many schematics listed either. You'd think that there would be a schematic for every configuration possible.
                            I'm currently in the process of drawing up schematics and making a chart for the hot wire color's of various guitar manufacturers.
                            Just so that I have them for reference when I need them. You can bet that whatever gets posted on this thread will be included as well.
                            I'm tired of not having access to simple things like this.

I wonder if the PA-2 and the AB has a schematic in their directions that came with it? Aaron have you checked that?
                            'Howling in shadows
                            Living in a lunar spell
                            He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                              It's going on well over 3 weeks since I've emailed them about my 'wiring problem' that I was having with my jack that I posted here. I still haven't received a response.

Their website doesn't have very many schematics listed either. You'd think that there would be a schematic for every configuration possible.
                              I'm currently in the process of drawing up schematics and making a chart for the hot wire color's of various guitar manufacturers.
                              Just so that I have them for reference when I need them. You can bet that whatever gets posted on this thread will be included as well.
                              I'm tired of not having access to simple things like this.

I wonder if the PA-2 and the AB has a schematic in their directions that came with it? Aaron have you checked that?

I'm not Aaron, but I can tell you that the PA-2 comes with a schematic, and identifies the 4 leads, but does not tell you where to connect them. The only wiring diagram supplied is for active EMG pups.
                              The Guitars:
                              The Amps:

Comment

Working...
                              X