PDA

View Full Version : EMG wiring with afterburner.

Aaronharmon
08-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Could someone draw up a wiring diagram for an EMG 81/85 with 3 way box type pup selector volume tone and an afterburner.

The more detailed the better. Also, any tips on soldering would be great.

Thanks a bunch.

Aaron

metalchurch79
08-27-2008, 12:30 AM
I would also like to see this diagram, I've never wired an EMG AB, but I always wanted to try one.
I heard that they also work with Passive pickups, has anyone used an AB like that?
Could you post a wiring diagram for that one also?

Thanks

Aaronharmon
08-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I had one wired to a set of passive pups. It worked great. It really extended the range of sounds I could get.

metalchurch79
08-27-2008, 12:28 PM
I always wanted to take a run of the mill, low output neck humbucker and throw an After Burner to it just to see what I'd come up with.
I think it would be interesting to see it coupled with a PAF Pro-N also. I guess it would be a hotter PAF in sorts, right?
The AB just takes the natural tones and amplifies,or boosts them right?

Aaronharmon
08-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah. Plus you can use it to get a little break up on a clean channel for a bluesy type sound, give you a volume boost when you switch to lead for a solo, or just leave it cranked to add distortion to your riffs. They are pretty sweet.

metalchurch79
08-27-2008, 04:26 PM
From what I've read, the AB has a simple 2 wire hookup, but where those wires go is beyond me. What also sucks is the fact that you have to add the AB as a knob instead of it doubling as a Volume/and boost.

I guess if you wanted it activated all of the time, you could find a setting you liked, and set it there and stuff it inside the control cavity.
Or set it, and stuff it inside the control cavity, but active/de-activate it by a on/off mini toggle. That would be clean and also a nice little surprise for your buddies!

Aaronharmon
08-27-2008, 06:00 PM
The PA-2. It is a mini toogle with a pot on the circuit board underneath it. It is either on or off. The wiring for the PA-2 and the afterburner are the same 1 red, one white and two black iirc. I have both, but I am only using the AB right now.

DocNrock
08-27-2008, 08:07 PM
The PA-2. It is a mini toogle with a pot on the circuit board underneath it. It is either on or off. The wiring for the PA-2 and the afterburner are the same 1 red, one white and two black iirc. I have both, but I am only using the AB right now.

That is the PA-2 wiring. I can't find any wiring diagrams for passive pups. I've kind of figured out how to wire it with passive pups -- between the volume pot center lug and the output jack, with the battery across a stereo jack so that whe unplugged the battery is taken out of the circuit.

Here is what I have not been able to figure out, yet. I assume that one of the black wire go to the back of a pot. However, do you ground the bridge? Grounding the bridge is NOT done with EMG active pups.

Aaronharmon
08-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Yes, you ground the bridge on passives when you are using an AB or PA-2. The only time you don't ground is with active pups.

Aaronharmon
08-27-2008, 09:03 PM
and BTW, the pot on the PA-2 allows you to adjust gain from 0 to 20 Db, just like the dial on the AB. They are very similiar products.

DocNrock
08-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Cool, thanks for that!

metalchurch79
08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
EMGs are internally grounded.
The PA-2 sounds awesome too! That is great that it already has a toggle, but do the PA-2 and the AB require a stereo jack for sure?

You'd think that by now someone would have had a diagram or atleast an idea. Have you asked EMG if they would send you one via email?

DocNrock
08-28-2008, 07:13 AM
EMGs are internally grounded.
The PA-2 sounds awesome too! That is great that it already has a toggle, but do the PA-2 and the AB require a stereo jack for sure?

You'd think that by now someone would have had a diagram or atleast an idea. Have you asked EMG if they would send you one via email?

I e-mailed EMG tech support about two weeks ago with my question. No response.

metalchurch79
08-28-2008, 10:43 AM
It's going on well over 3 weeks since I've emailed them about my 'wiring problem' that I was having with my jack that I posted here. I still haven't received a response.

Their website doesn't have very many schematics listed either. You'd think that there would be a schematic for every configuration possible.
I'm currently in the process of drawing up schematics and making a chart for the hot wire color's of various guitar manufacturers.
Just so that I have them for reference when I need them. You can bet that whatever gets posted on this thread will be included as well.
I'm tired of not having access to simple things like this.:lol:

I wonder if the PA-2 and the AB has a schematic in their directions that came with it? Aaron have you checked that?

DocNrock
08-28-2008, 11:39 AM
It's going on well over 3 weeks since I've emailed them about my 'wiring problem' that I was having with my jack that I posted here. I still haven't received a response.

Their website doesn't have very many schematics listed either. You'd think that there would be a schematic for every configuration possible.
I'm currently in the process of drawing up schematics and making a chart for the hot wire color's of various guitar manufacturers.
Just so that I have them for reference when I need them. You can bet that whatever gets posted on this thread will be included as well.
I'm tired of not having access to simple things like this.:lol:

I wonder if the PA-2 and the AB has a schematic in their directions that came with it? Aaron have you checked that?

I'm not Aaron, but I can tell you that the PA-2 comes with a schematic, and identifies the 4 leads, but does not tell you where to connect them. The only wiring diagram supplied is for active EMG pups.

metalchurch79
08-28-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm not Aaron, but I can tell you that the PA-2 comes with a schematic, and identifies the 4 leads, but does not tell you where to connect them. The only wiring diagram supplied is for active EMG pups.

I know, the last sentence was directed @ Aaronharmon, because he said that he has the PA-2 and the AB, so I was wondering if he bought them new and still has the wiring directions?

Aaronharmon
08-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Yes, I did buy them new, and I still have the diagram. I am at work now though. I will have to check the diagram when I get home tonight.

Aaronharmon
08-28-2008, 03:51 PM
I believe the diagram only shows EMG actives though, but I could be wrong

Aaronharmon
09-01-2008, 01:30 PM
My wiring diagram is not as good as this...

http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/EMG-PA2.pdf

Although they both show active pups only.

This is for the PA-2. The PA-2 and Afterburner are wired exactly the same way. They are virtually the same product in a different package.

Aaronharmon
09-01-2008, 01:31 PM
P.S. sorry it took so long to get back to you. I spent the long weekend with my GF.

toejam
09-01-2008, 03:21 PM
I e-mailed EMG tech support about two weeks ago with my question. No response.
That's strange. Maybe they're on vacation or something. Rick usually has gotten back to me within a day or two.