Anyone put P-90's in their Jacksons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone put P-90's in their Jacksons?

Just what the title says....I have an SL2H and am considering this option....anyone done something similar? If so, what pickups did you use, and how did it go?

Thanks!

P-90's are one pickup style that I've never used before. Always wanted to try them, just never did. I believe that both DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan make a version of the P-90.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Yeah...it's funny....I've just come to realize that a lot of guitar tones that I really dig are P-90 tones. I'm kinda tempted to throw one (neck) or a pair in my SL2 just to see what I think...but I don't know what to expect, or if I can do a P-90/humbucker hybrid...anyone try this?

Comment

Gibson makes a LesPaul ("BFG" i think?) That has a Humbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck,so it is possible, and has been done.

Not sure how hot the P90's are so volume drop switching between the Hum and P90 would be something to consider.
        Possibly a PAF/P90 Combo? Or Distortion/P90? You get the idea.
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven

Comment

i just though of something: I'm not sure if DiMarzio's or Seymour's P90's will retrofit into a regular humbucker routing? Might wanna look into that first before getting into it too much. But I'm sure they will make you one or a pair that does fit if you really want it.
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven

Comment

Duncan makes a hum-sized P90, don't they?

Nick at Piney Hills owns a Jackson Jazz'R with P90s - ask him how they sound.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Duncan makes a hum-sized P90, don't they?
              Yes, they do.

I own a 1963 SG Special. P90's are wound to the same DC resistance as a humbucker (a little over 8K) So they are fatter than a Strat single, but they are very focused compared to humbuckers (tight?). I really enjoy playing Kill 'em All stuff (Seek and Destroy) with my SG Special.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                Gibson makes a LesPaul ("BFG" i think?)
                Yes, the BarF Guitar

I have 4 Les Pauls, and there is nothing like having an LP right next to an SL2H to reach for, but that BFG just makes me want to barf.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  Yes, the BarF Guitar
                  LOL
                  I never understood the pricing for that guitar either. Too much IMO.

I thought there was a Hum sized P90, but wasn't certain. I also heard that the P90 was 'middle of the road' in terms of sound (output) comparison between a Strat single coil and a Vintage 'PAF' style humbucker. I also heard that they have a nice bite to them that is hard to accomplish from a S/C or a Hum.
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven

Comment

Yeah...I really like that biting tone. I just found out that the Another Brick in the Wall 2 solo that I love was done with a P-90 equipped Gibson Goldtop, and Snowy White, who plays with Floyd and Roger Waters plays the same guitar.

Comment

I'm strongly considering trying one of the below pickups in my RR1T when it arrives...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product.../prails_shpr1/
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                        I'm strongly considering trying one of the below pickups in my RR1T when it arrives...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product.../prails_shpr1/
                        Well lemmie know how it works out...I can't seem to find many reviews or clips of these!

Comment

The P-Rails seem to be really nice. I'm GASing for some, badly.
                          Why so serious?

Comment

SD has a vid hosted on their site at the URL below.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/movies-...s_videos.shtml
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                            X