VOX AD50DT First impression review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VOX AD50DT First impression review

Some of you may know, I've been on the lookout for a good sounding, more portable amp for a decent price. I normally play through a Marshall half stack that, although I like the tone I get from it, it's just not practical for my applications.

The other day, I was at a local music store and saw this VOX AD50DT 2x12 that they had taken in used. I say it was used, but you couldn't really tell, it had been VERY well taken care of and looked like brand new. Anyway, after playing with it a bit, and investigatine the model reviews online, I went in the next day and picked it up. I must say for the price, I'm VERY impressed.

I was a little aprehensive when I first looked at it because I normally don't like Modeling amps, but while this amp does have some modeling functions, it's not overloaded with bells and whistles. The models and effects that are built in are very functionable and do not make the amp too complicated to use onstage. In fact, the only REAL complaint I have about the amp is not the amp itself it's the optional footswitch which, if I'd bought it seperately (Thank gad this one came with one) would have cost 30 bucks and only has a four foot cable. It's a minor issue since it has a 1/4 inch stero plug and really easy to find and extension cable but really, what were they thinking?

This amp is LOUD! Not only is it loud, but it sounds good loud! I had another combo amp that sounded pretty good at lower volumes but as you turned it up it lost it's tone more and more. Not this one. In fact, the louder this amp get's the better it sounds. And if that's not enough, there is a power output control on the back so that you can turn the main power of the amp way down for personal practice and still keep that quality tone at lower volumes. Kind of a built in Power Brake I guess.

Anyway, those are my first impressions. I'll post more about the amp as I explore it's boundries. I'm gigging with it at Pasttimes in Clayton tonight, so I'll get a chance to really put it through its paces.
    Prosecutors will be violated...
Working...
X