So much for the JCM900 - bought a Carvin Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much for the JCM900 - bought a Carvin Legacy

I was on my way to pick up a JCM900 yesterday, before going to the Metal Masters show in Toronto. I got a tad behind schedule, so I called the guy, and said I'm on my way, should be there withing the hour. So I get to the guy's place, and the douchebag has fucked off. I drove half an hour out of my way, plus waited around for 20 minutes to see if he would show, so at this point I'm pretty pissed off. Finally I left and went to the show, which was awesome by the way.

So, I got home around 1:30 after dropping my friends off, and I was browsing Ebay, and noticed a couple of Legacys for sale. I listened to a few clips, and I really think this amp will do what I want. So, I made an offer, and got one for $565. Pretty good deal I think, and probably better than the 900 anyway. Yay me!
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Woot Wooot....Give us the report when ya get plugge in....I have had my eyes on a couple too.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

The Legacy is a fine amp. I want to get one too. You would have digged the 900 but you made a wise choice with the Legacy. Please post an in depth review of it!!

Comment

Yeah Zeegs..this may end up for the better.

John and I played a used Legacy when they just came out, but the guy at the store told us it was "messed up"..what exactly I don't know...so we really didn't screw around with it.

Carvin makes some really fine amps. I always swore by their bass amp..the very best in the biz IMO!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'll let you know what I think when it arrives. It's gonna be a long week.

Comment

No matter how much I dig my 900 I would seriously consider trading it for a Legacy.

Comment

Having owned 900s for years and played a few Legacys, I wouldn't want either. But then again , I like a pretty heavy tone.

The 900's (4100), even after much work, were just too thin and no chunk (but sang nice when loud for leads). And trust me, I'm not casual about my attempts to eek and tweak for tone (I tweaked for about 5 months getting the tone I have now out of my CAE 3+se/VHT-2150 setup).

The Legacy was just not heavy enough in general.

Both probably ok for 80's "low gain" pop-metal.

Comment

The Legacy is a very dark amp. This is not entirely surprising since Steve uses a DS-1 in front if it and that is a very bright pedal and JEM's are fairly bright guitars. The combination of the three is actually quite a good rig.

The cleans are very good actually. It's not a Fender clean. It's darker and thicker. It's like a very nice Marshall clean if you can imagine that. You'll find that you want just a little more upper mids depending on the guitar you use.

I sold my Legacy because on it's own it doesn't cover much ground.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                  Having owned 900s for years and played a few Legacys, I wouldn't want either. But then again , I like a pretty heavy tone.

The 900's (4100), even after much work, were just too thin and no chunk (but sang nice when loud for leads). And trust me, I'm not casual about my attempts to eek and tweak for tone (I tweaked for about 5 months getting the tone I have now out of my CAE 3+se/VHT-2150 setup).

The Legacy was just not heavy enough in general.

Both probably ok for 80's "low gain" pop-metal.
                  The trick to get a 900 to thump and chunk is to have the correct cabs and the correct power tubes. I run a vintage 1960b loaded with Vin 30's and for tubes I have Mullards. My 900 has a ton of bottom end and is very tight. Of course.. I know that its not stock.

Comment

The V3 sounds like a monster. Listen to there demo there guy does a good job. It has a thick sound knob that pounds.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfvOGvxx_fE
                    EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
                    1959Epiphone les paul
                    george L cables
                    mxr pedals
                    Engl fireball 100

Comment

I listened to that clip, and a few others, and to be honest, I really don't like the sound of the V3 at all. It sounds mushy and fizzy, with very little definition or punch. Having said that, it's possible it could be the way these clips were recorded or something. I'd be willing to try one out to see what it can really do.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                        I listened to that clip, and a few others, and to be honest, I really don't like the sound of the V3 at all. It sounds mushy and fizzy, with very little definition or punch. Having said that, it's possible it could be the way these clips were recorded or something. I'd be willing to try one out to see what it can really do.
                        The guy playing sounds JUST LIKE Eugene Levi when he talks (Jim's Dad from American Pie).

I didn't care for the clips either.

Comment

I dunno..I'd prolly like that V3 if it were in my hands. It appears it can do the "heavy" stuff just peachy.

That guy was a geek tho..you'd think Carvin would have a better player demoing their shit.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thats a crap Carvin clip performed by a crap hack player. he sounds like he hangs out at Guitar Center on Saturdays.

Comment

Wow, I agree, that was a horrible video! Bad playing and the amp sounded like ass. I bet it would sound a lot better with a better player and proper micing.

Comment

Working...
                              X