How to handle this warranty issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to handle this warranty issue

I am wondering what some of you guys who have dealt with FMIC warranties think about something.

In a nutshell, the truss rod nut slot on my brand new RR1 was stripped such that the proper wrench included was too loose and wouldn't turn the nut. This was the situation right out of the box, I even posted about it in early June here in the tech forum. I tried a few various wrenches from my tool set to no avail but during the trial and error process the inside of the nut got a little scraped up.

Apparantly replacing the truss rod on a neck-through is no simple task, one authorized service center tech said he didn't even want to try, that I should just get a return authorization from FMIC who would likely replace the guitar because it will be easier for them.

I am about to see what they say but another authorized service center near me who is willing to help as a go-between advised me that I should be prepared for the possibility that FMIC will take the opportunity to basically deny the claim and call it mishandling on my part once they see my failed attempts to turn it myself.

I realize that what will actually happen is speculation at this point, and I know that honesty is the best policy but I was wondering anyone has any words of other wisdom in terms of how to approach it, or thoughts about my odds of success in dealing with this matter. Thanks.

Don't know about warranty issues, but who the hell stripped the truss rod nut. What does the neck profile look like? There's alot of torque needed to strip the truss nut. Is there a 1/4" of relief at the middle of the neck. Please don't think I am implying that you did this, but someone not knowing what to do with a truss rod obviously F'd this up.

Comment

Why not have the authorized service center order just a replacement nut? Or is it stripped to the point where it cannot be removed?

Comment

Heck if I know, I suppose because neither of them made that suggestion. I'm sure someone with the right tools could get it off. So am I to understand correctly that it's not all one piece?

Originally posted by piranhaguy2002a View Post
        Why not have the authorized service center order just a replacement nut? Or is it stripped to the point where it cannot be removed?

Comment

The truss rod itself has a nut and washer on the end. You turn the nut, which flexes the rod. If the nut is stripped out on the inside (where the wrench goes), then you should be able to loosen it and remove it, leaving the rod inside the neck. Put a new nut on it and it should be ok.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yup i had the same problem on my Snakeskin project. I couldnt move the truss rod any further cus the nut was stripping out. So i had a qualified tech look at it for a second opinion and i was correct in my diagnosis. I replaced the nut with one of a better better grade and it worked great. Got the neck nice and straight. And now play fantastic. Just have a dealer order a new nut for it and have a tech replace it for ya. Just incase any other issues arise the tech can make the proper diagnosis.
            Gil

Comment

Working...
            X