PC-1/Collen model question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-1/Collen model question

Has anyone read/heard why Phil Collen went with a bolt on Jackson for his signature? Just wondering because it seems he played a soloist quite a bit throughout his career, and also because Jackson is known for its neck thru models. I actually find myself preferring a DK1 over the soloist as the neck just fits my hand better. And, it sure seems most of the guitarists I'm into all have bolt ons for their signatures.....from EVH, to Malmsteen, Beach, Vai, Satch, Bettencourt, DeMartini, Lynch,..........
    Last edited by lynchfan6; 08-11-2008, 08:07 PM.

Phil did go from a Soloist (Bela, Silver Crackle), and even his first sig was a neck through Soloists variant.

Not 100% sure, but if you look back at the last video pre-PC1 (Have YOu Ever Needed...) he was playing a reverse maple neck Dinky. Also the "Adrenalize" guitar was a Dinky with a maple neck. I think he was moving toward a maple neck guitar and the PC-1 is just the next step in that line of thinking.

to:

He did (and still does) play his Soloists live, it's just not what he went with for his sig guitar.

Comment

Bryan... Bella is a bolt-on.
      His silver crackle was his only "Soloist" he used.
      Then he and Grover made the Collen Archtop.
      Too expensive to make and part of why the production model was discontinued.
      Not sure why he chose the bolt-on route, but I can say he made a great decision in doing so.
      The PC-1 is still the best Jackson bolt-on ever made IMHO.
      -Rick

Comment

Actually, Phil may have had more than one "Bella" Jackson, this is a Soloist:

But this looks like a Dinky:

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
          Actually, Phil may have had more than one "Bella" Jackson, this is a Soloist:

But this looks like a Dinky:

Yep, the one in the rack is a 24-fret Soloist with a Floyd.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
            And, it sure seems most of the guitarists I'm into all have bolt ons for their signatures.....from EVH, to Malmsteen, Beach, Vai, Satch, Bettencourt, DeMartini, Lynch,..........
            Most artists are stupid and don't realize that neck thrus offer superior sustain

Comment

After going back and forth between a DK1 and SL,,,,and trying many in the process.....I finally just bought a new metallic black SL2H. It should be here this week. Since my other guitars are bolt on neck, I figured I'd make my new Jackson purchase a Soloist. Yeah the neck is different from the DK1, but I'll learn to love it once I'm used to it, and my 2 JEMs have the thin thin necks when I'm craving that feel. I felt it was time to get something unique, and I'm excited to navigate the heel-less territories on this Jackson. It will be my only neck thru guitar. If you remember, I already had a brand new SL1 here in July,,,and it had that flaw with the bridge and it felt a lot different than my DK,,,and I sent it back so fast I never gave it much of a chance. And once it was gone, I started "missing" it over time
              Last edited by lynchfan6; 08-12-2008, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I don't why they all choose to use bolt-ons, but a bolt-on gives a bit brighter tone. I have owned a PC1, and it was very versitile. Collen is a man who doesn't focus on the technique. He's a tone-man. You can see that in the PC1, with the beefy neck and heavy body.
                '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
                '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
                '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                '13 Gibson M-III
                Taylor 214CE
                Dean 6-string Bass
                Morgan Ukulele

Comment

...And those SL2H's sound the best when played through a Soldano SLO-100!
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                    ...And those SL2H's sound the best when played through a Soldano SLO-100!
                    I wouldn't have it any other way!! I can't wait, it will be here Thursday.
                    Last edited by lynchfan6; 08-12-2008, 08:58 PM.

Comment

I really really prefer thin necks like a DK1 or a Fusion, but I have to say I love my Bengal SL2H. The thicker neck is a non-issue for me. But it's the tone that I really dig about this axe. Maybe (if bolt ons are brighter) it is the darker tone combined with the (normally too bright) JB that gives it a tone that is just what I'm looking for. It really works for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X