Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally...the Diezel Herbert!

hey guys,
    I'm pretty excited...I searched the classifieds for Diezel amps (a search that usually comes up short!) but the other day on my search I came across a guy who had a 1 year old Herbert for sale, says it's only been in his studio for the duration. He had a setup with 2 (!) Herberts running in stereo, but decided it was a bit overkill (well, duh! )
    So I got a pretty good deal on it, thought about it for a couple of days then decided 'what the hell' and went for it! Should be here in time for band practice on Tuesday hopefully!

I need to get a cab for it though, he wanted to sell me a Mesa Rectifier cab with it, but I have heard different opinions about those with the Herbert, and since I couldn't try it out for myself I decided to turn down that offer. For now I'll have to use my ENGL standard (V60) 412, which will probably be alright but I believe the Herbert sounds best with V30's. (at least the times I've tried the amp previously)

I'm thinking of getting an Orange 412, or maybe the new frontloaded Diezel 412 cab.

Pics will be up once it's here! finally my dream amp will come true!

congrats. I am voting to hold out for the diesel cab.

Comment

I run the Orange with my Elmwood amp...great cab! Congrats on the Diezel mate!

Comment

Congrats on the Herbert! Matching cabs rule, but then again so do Orange cabs... so long as you have a roadie-type friend to move them around!

Comment

I would never separate 2 stereo Herberts! Nirvana...imo

Comment

thanks guys, I can't wait till it's here!! I'll be down at the post office tomorrow bugging the hell out of them
            I checked pricing and availability on both Diezel and Orange today, the Diezel was only slightly more expensive so I think I'm going with the Diezel if it's down to those two.
            I'm gonna try it out with a mate's ENGL V30 cab first and see/hear how that works out.

Comment

well here it is, Herbert #791 sitting on my standard ENGL 4x12:

a closer look...:

So far the Herbert is not too happy with the V60 ENGL cab, lots of the trademark Diezel "oomph" but the voicing is a bit too dark and "mid muddy" to my ears. I tried it with an Orange 412 V30 in 2005 and that sounded -fantastic-. I will try and get a Diezel 412 (depending on Norwegian availability) or maybe a ENGL V30 cab.
              Or if any Norwegian JCF'ers have a cab for sale, reading this... pm me

This was pretty much expected though, seeing that this head was built with the V30 in mind.
              I bought the V60 cab for my ENGL Blackmore which has lots of mids, and needs a "scoopy" cab to go for good metal tones IMHO. I've been really busy the last couple of days, so I haven't really given the Diezel a good run yet, I will try and dial in a better tone tonight.
              (new strings on the RR1T also tonight so it should be good )

This amp has 6x Ruby EL34 tubes. Diezel has since switched to SED "winged C's" due to better performance and reliability.
              I'm thinking of ordering new tubes and rebias, because I don't know how much the seller has played this thing. I'm guessing it is 1-2 years old so a fresh set of tubes could be in order anyhow. I might even go all out and replace the preamp tubes as well!
              This version has external bias points so it should be a breeze to set up.

Can't wait to get a V30 cab and get this baby up and running full tilt!

Comment

Might check out a cab with 25W Green-Back's as well.
                I have the Diezel Einstein and when I first got it, I too had the ENGL 4X12 V60 cab...It sounded far too deep for my taste.
                I ended my quest for the perfect tone with an older Marshall 1960 BX cab with the 25 W English made GB's - and the tone is killer.
                A friend of mine owns the Herbert and runs through the same 25W GB cabs and the tone is amazing!
                Try it out if you aren't already comited to a V30 set up.

(might also consider getting a Hot Plate or Webber Mass as well)

Comment

hey buddy, thanks for the tip! I spent some more time tweaking the amp yesterday, and I think I was a bit quick to jump on the tubes..I was able to dial a pretty sweet tone but it was still pretty dark! sounds pretty cool on its own but not sure how it would go along in a band setting but I'm pretty sure a V30 cab will brighten the sound just enough, and that the tubes will last me a while longer.

- Rune

Comment

Cool - Rune, Very Nice.

Just don't go with Tung Sols!! They really darkened up my Uber..but that's what I was goin' for.

The stock JJ's were MUCH brighter with more mids...a little too much for my liking.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

+1 on the winged C's SED EL34's. Best EL34 out there right now. Use them too and i am quite happy with them.
                      Suppossely their KT88 are also the best KT88 of current production but since i don't own or better said haven't built an amp with KT88 yet i cannot comment.

Anyway congrats on the new amp. Diezels are extremely cool.

Flo
                      http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Infernal Death View Post
                        +1 on the winged C's SED EL34's. Best EL34 out there right now. Use them too and i am quite happy with them.
                        Suppossely their KT88 are also the best KT88 of current production but since i don't own or better said haven't built an amp with KT88 yet i cannot comment.

Anyway congrats on the new amp. Diezels are extremely cool.

Flo
                        KT-88's... Ummm.... VHT! Me likey

Comment

Yeah, just re-did my VHT-2150 w/Winged C KT-88's... Again...

All smiles...

Comment

I hear ya on the tung sols Bill! Peter Diezel himself actually suggested the JJ 34's, quote: "I would try the E34L JJ. It´s a bright tube with dynamic midrange honk. We can mod Your Herbert into a brighter tone if tubes doesn´t help."

Well, to hell with honkin' I've put in my order for an ENGL straight 412 V30 cab today so we'll see where that gets me!

Comment

more pics!! this amp rocks

you can see 6 powertubes Ruby EL34 glowing in the dark

and a pic of my pedalboard for good measure

Comment

Working...
                              X