Crate BV 150H Opinions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate BV 150H Opinions??

I saw on the Living Colour live at the World Cafe that Vernon Reid was using one of these through a Boogie Cab.

Anybody got any experience with it?

I know QC is suspect so please just assume it's a good one and give me your opinions and/or experiences with them.

Thanks up front!!

I saw Poison live and CC Deville was using 2 of them. His sound was fantastic.

Comment

What's this about QC? I've never heard about any reliability issues with BVs at all. I'm currently selling my BV120, but it's nothing to do with reliability.

As far as sound goes, I've never played a 150, but I can tell you all about the 120. A lot of people slag them, but you can get some pretty cool tones out of them. The right tubes help, and you have to lay off the gain knob. Anything over 7 becomes a mushy, fizzy mess, especially at higher volumes. I think the BVs are very sensitive to speaker choice too. I've never had a Crate cab, but I suspect they came with speakers that did not compliment the amp's natural tonal range. That's probably one of the main reasons for the hate they get. I've been using mine with a Lopo 2X12 with V30s in it, and it really sounds good. My gain is around 6, and EQ is bass and mid heavy, with the treble and presence backed off. This results in a great high gain metal sound. Back off the gain to around 3 or 4, and you've got a nice hard rock sound too.

I seriously considered having Jerry at FJA mod mine, but I'm not sure if I want to put another $250 into an amp that has no resale value to start with. Crate really kinda fucked up a potentially great amplifier with bad EQing, and too much fizzy gain. Both are problems that could be easily rectified IMO, but why should I have to pay more to do so?
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Crate's sound Great... with the right cab.

not a big fan of Crate cabs but there amps sound realy good. build quality has always been top notch. made in america by St. Louis Music Co. who makes Ampeg. no one should ever be ashamed to play Crate. Canibal Corspe sounded way better to me when they were all Crate.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Great amps. I also have the 120. Crate put out a cab w/ Celestions in it (not sure which ones) but it sounds great with it.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
            What's this about QC? I've never heard about any reliability issues with BVs at all. I'm currently selling my BV120, but it's nothing to do with reliability.

As far as sound goes, I've never played a 150, but I can tell you all about the 120. A lot of people slag them, but you can get some pretty cool tones out of them. The right tubes help, and you have to lay off the gain knob. Anything over 7 becomes a mushy, fizzy mess, especially at higher volumes. I think the BVs are very sensitive to speaker choice too. I've never had a Crate cab, but I suspect they came with speakers that did not compliment the amp's natural tonal range. That's probably one of the main reasons for the hate they get. I've been using mine with a Lopo 2X12 with V30s in it, and it really sounds good. My gain is around 6, and EQ is bass and mid heavy, with the treble and presence backed off. This results in a great high gain metal sound. Back off the gain to around 3 or 4, and you've got a nice hard rock sound too.

I seriously considered having Jerry at FJA mod mine, but I'm not sure if I want to put another $250 into an amp that has no resale value to start with. Crate really kinda fucked up a potentially great amplifier with bad EQing, and too much fizzy gain. Both are problems that could be easily rectified IMO, but why should I have to pay more to do so?
            Thanks for the great feedback on the 120. I'm sure the 150 has got to be somewhere near what you're describing.

How about using this amp with a Marshall cab? I've been really gasing for a Marshall cab and i was wondering if it would be a good match for this head.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
              Thanks for the great feedback on the 120. I'm sure the 150 has got to be somewhere near what you're describing.

How about using this amp with a Marshall cab? I've been really gasing for a Marshall cab and i was wondering if it would be a good match for this head.
              That would greatly depend on which cab it was. I've never tried mine with 75s, just the V30s and the 85s. It did not suit the 85s all that well, and I suspect the 75s sound pretty close to the 85s. I'd stick with V30s if I were you, since they have plenty of midrange, which is what this amp really needs.

Comment

What Marshall cabinet comes with 85s and V30s? All I see is that the 1960 comes with 75s.

All I see is that Mesa cabs come loaded with V30s. That must be why Reid uses them with this head.
                Last edited by Bryan; 08-07-2008, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                  What Marshall cabinet comes with 85s and V30s? All I see is that the 1960 comes with 75s.

All I see is that Mesa cabs come loaded with V30s. That must be why Reid uses them with this head.
                  I don't have a fucking clue. I've never even had a Marshall cab. I just assumed you can get them with V30s.

Comment

The Marshall 1960AV and 1960BV come with V30's. I have the AV and love it!

Comment

Working...
                    X