KE2 Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KE2 Kelly

Hey, I've been considering this guitar for some time now...

I really want a high quality instrument with a floyd rose, and I just love the explorer like shape of it, gibson recently released an explorer with a kahler trem but I don't really like those...

Anyway I would like to hear from people who've played or owned them, that would be great. Any up close pictures would be awesome.

I've heard they have some neck tipping problems but I should manage.

My playing style, I like Satriani's stuff mostly. Stuff like that =]

I've been very pleased with my ke2 , never noticed any neckdive problems - and the neck is set to shred , my recommendation is go with a kelly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

*drools* xD

Trans black nice, I love the chrome hardware.

I know all the cool paint jobs are like 2,500 easily XD.

Thing is I already have a black epiphone explorer (I know ew) But it was my first guitar. Now I've done research and think things through xD

How thin is the neck compared to Ibanez? Or gibsons for that matter =]

Also how jumbo are the frets? thank you ! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by madeoftears View Post
        *drools* xD

Trans black nice, I love the chrome hardware.

I know all the cool paint jobs are like 2,500 easily XD.

Thing is I already have a black epiphone explorer (I know ew) But it was my first guitar. Now I've done research and think things through xD

How thin is the neck compared to Ibanez? Or gibsons for that matter =]

Also how jumbo are the frets? thank you ! ;D
        kelly necks are very thin, but not quite as thin as most higher end ibanez's... more like Jem thin. 5x thinner than a gibson les paul neck. the frets are beautifully big and mucho jumbo. I love everything about kelly's except trying to playing the 23rd and 24th frets... my hand gets squeezed between the guitar and the neck, hard to explain without playing one yourself...

Comment

I have a KE3 and have trouble accessing the last couple of frets. I don't know if this is different for the KE2; I imagine it would be--it is a far superior instrument but I don't know. Yet another reason why I like flying Vs.

EDIT: I guess I should have read thhe post above this before posting, lol.
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Kellys are great guitars. The neck diving issue is a minor concern, at best. I've never had trouble myself, but it can be easily handled with using a wider strap, anyway.

If you're used to superstrats or flying Vs, accesing the upper frets isn't the greatest, but that wouldn't stop me from buying a guitar. It's pretty much only an issue at the 23rd & 24th frets, and you evenually just learn to compensate with angling your hand/fingers a little different on a Kelly, anyway. Again, a minor concern, at best.

Here's my trans plum custom...

Comment

I think Kellys are very sexy. I want an all black one with black hardware. I have a KE3 with a DK1 neck, but I think I'd like a neck-thru better.

Marty didn't seem to have trouble with neck dive of access to the upper frets, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Kellys are great guitars. I've heard some people complain about being very neck heavy but I haven't had much problems with that. As Pat mentioned, a wider strap will help with that. Check out this thread for some more awesome kellys from guys on the board.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68386

Comment

Kellys are great looking and playing guitars. The neck is quite similare to a Soloist. I had a KE2 and eventually sold it because the neck dive was an issue for me. Even with a wide strap, I could feel it wanting to pitch. Obviously, this is not an issue for everyone. I would try and play one standing up before I bought and see if it bothers you.

Comment

Hey thanks for the link =]

If I don't get one as my next guitar, I'll probably get one later on for sure.

Thanks

Comment

Mine

Comment

neck diving is an issue, I was thinking of selling it because of that.

Good guitar anyway....but they aren't godlike either. I can get a epiphone les paul classic for $600 that plays more kinds of music....but it just doesn't cut it for megadeth. :P

Comment

I seriously doubt that, this is USA made, neck through body with healthy real wood. With Great pick ups...

Not to meantion a tremolo o.O

Actually is the back of the neck of this clammy? Because I like smooth wooden necks XD

Also the frets, how high are they? Do they prevent you from touching the wooden fret board?

Comment

I love my Kelly.

Scroll down to bottom of this page to see the pics I've posted so far.

Here's a couple of fret shots I had on hand.

Comment

I have two Kellys, a KE2 and a Kelly Custom from '93 which has a slightly different body than the KE2. They look and feel great. The problems I've experienced are that the body shape causes me to lift my right arm high and wide and when stitting down, I seem to try to stabilize the guitar by pressing my right arm against the body. If I don't play them regularly, I get cramps and pains in my arm when I do. I must say that as much as I love my guitars, the Kellys are not very comfortable when playing sitting down. I used to own a Gisbon Explorer and I never had any problems with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X