Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dave Mustaine 1986 -what amps/effects etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Mustaine 1986 -what amps/effects etc?

Hey,

Got a question- Does anybody know what amps and pedels dave would have used back in the 80's?
    I was just watching some live vids from 1986 and the tone mustaine (and possibly poland aswell) has is just incredible.
    I seriously love the crunchy rawness of his tone and i was wondering if anybody knew what he used? or anyway i could emulate it nowadays?

Thanks!

*Get Peace sells booklet...

Dave Mustaine
    BC Rich Bich

Marshall 100 WT./50 WT. Amps 4-4 12 DeCuir Cabinets with celestions

Chris Poland
    BC Rich Warlock

Marshall 100 WT. Amps, Rockman 4-4 12 DeCuir cabinets with Celestions.

That's all I can tell you, and it's copied from the booklet.

Comment

he's used the rocktron preamp/effects units for years and years with his marshalls.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I've always heard that the Rocktron Prophesy with Marshall poweramps is what he used until the latest batch of albums.

If I was going to try and replicate his Peace Sells sound, I'd get a JCM800 and then start experimenting with different distortion pedals.
        Scott

Comment

He used Marshall JMP-1's way back then before the prophesy.
          Sam

Comment

You actually want that tone? Wow. As much as I love Megadeth, and that album, I always thought the guitar tones were terrible.
            "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
              You actually want that tone? Wow. As much as I love Megadeth, and that album, I always thought the guitar tones were terrible.
              that's you age.

Peace sells sounds amazing.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                Blasphemer!!!

Scott

Comment

I would go with a JMP, the one I played could get very close to the Megadeth sound.
                  Last edited by themisfit138; 08-07-2008, 12:20 PM.

Comment

seriously go type "megadeth 1986 live" into youtube. Its the live show and listen to...wake up dead, just hear when the guitar singles out so its just mustaine playing you know with the "dur duna duh nah na nah" that sounds epic. And also Conjuring, the cool breakdown!

hmm this gear all sounds awfully expensive lol. I was hoping a pedel easily avaliable would be able to get me that crunchy dryness. I guess i culd just turn my mids down and experiment with stuff i got.

Thanks for help guys

Comment

woah! we thought you wanted to replicate his exact gear! there are tons of options if you want to go the pedal route. But HE did not use a single pedal to get his sound.

To begin with, you could try the Boss Metal zone which is famous for the buzzaw type distortion.
                      Sam

Comment

JMP preamps did not even exist back then. neither did the Prophesy.

He was using JCM 800's, I don't know if they were modded or if he had something in front of them for the overdrive.

And his early tone was very mid-rangey... so I don;t think you want to scoop your amp.

I second the metal zone for experimentation, maybe a old Boss CE-3 and a cheap delay as well. That'll cover a lot of ground... and you can defintley dial in his tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GWARGHOUL View Post
                          JMP preamps did not even exist back then. neither did the Prophesy.

He was using JCM 800's, I don't know if they were modded or if he had something in front of them for the overdrive.

And his early tone was very mid-rangey... so I don;t think you want to scoop your amp.

I second the metal zone for experimentation, maybe a old Boss CE-3 and a cheap delay as well. That'll cover a lot of ground... and you can defintley dial in his tone.
                          I was talking about the JMP head not the pre-amp

Comment

Oh. I always thought the 60-watt JMP heads sounded better than the 100 Watt.

Comment

You can nail that tone (as well as a lot of others) with a Keeley MT-2 TZ. With perhaps a chorus pedal or something for solo's.
                              The BOSS GT-6 can do it with the MT-2/JCM settings and a wee bit of tweaking.

Otherwise a cranked JCM 800 with a Tubescreamer.
                              All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Working...
                              X